• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bleeding Brakes

I read the DIY in the FAQ and on Danoland, but was wondering why you have to bleed in this order: Right Rear (RR), Left Front (LF), Left Rear (LR), Right Front (RF)?

If I was using Speed Bleeders, could I bleed my brakes at 2 or more locations at one time?

The order is determined by the distance (approximate) from the master cylinder. I am not sure what bearing this has on bleeding. Perhaps the idea is to keep dirty brake fluid from getting into the lines of corners that have already been bled.

1TITENSX said:
If I was using Speed Bleeders, could I bleed my brakes at 2 or more locations at one time?

technically yes, never seen it done.. but Ty... you really don't buy as much time as you think you would... bleeding all the brakes takes maybe 10-15 tops?

x

I'm with VBNSX, don't bother with two at a time.

The order has something to do with doing the longest lines first. I have no idea why. The RR tire has the longest line, and it shares the line with the LF so that one's next. Then the LR which shares the line with the RF.

One thing with the speed bleeders: the brake pedal will come back up even if they're not completely tightened. So when you're done, before you put the wheels back on, pump the brake hard a few times and then visually inspect each bleeder to ensure they're not leaking! Otherwise you'll drive off wondering why your brakes feel mushy (but work for a few stops) while spewing brake fluid everywhere. Ask me how I know.

Note that there's not that much difference between bleeding the brakes and flushing them, so if you have no idea when the last time the brake fluid was flushed on your NSX and you're going to bleed them anyway, I'd go ahead and flush them.

Have fun, with Speed Bleeders it's easy :)

I'm not sure if I want to agree 100% on this,
Note that there's not that much difference between bleeding the brakes and flushing them, so if you have no idea when the last time the brake fluid was flushed on your NSX and you're going to bleed them anyway, I'd go ahead and flush them.

Say, flushing the whole system, I uesd about 4 quarts (well previous owner had ATE Blue fluid in it, and I thought as long as I saw green fluid, it's not clean, I'm such a dummy)
but, after a track day, I usually need half to 3/4 quart to bleed the dirty fluid out...

Back