• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blew a coolant hose under the car so I made a video to help others

I think that way more engines were lost by blowing a hose than timing belt. Actually anybody broke OEM timing belt ?? It's hard to tell just by looking at those hoses. If you hear crunching when you squeeze then, than they are on the last leg. If you are not sure when they were replaced, than I would change them. That is what I do when I buy NSX. Hoses,TB,WP,clutch master and slave...
That’s a lot of hoses to replace and I think some of those are no longer available from honda, is that correct? So many parts are coming end of life. And even if they are available, wouldn’t those hoses have been manufactured years and years ago and so wouldn’t the rubber be aged as well and not reliable?

I think it's not (just) age but also heat stress over the years. I'm not sure if there is some (slow) chemical reaction that takes places with the rubber and coolant either that would be vastly different than them being stored in a cool/dry place in storage.

As for sourcing the parts, I know MITA has them as a set. Will be doing mine soon as well.

That’s a lot of hoses to replace and I think some of those are no longer available from honda, is that correct? So many parts are coming end of life. And even if they are available, wouldn’t those hoses have been manufactured years and years ago and so wouldn’t the rubber be aged as well and not reliable?
As of late last year all the hoses were available from Honda. I ordered most of mine from Amayama. Amayama does not sell left hand steer specific parts so I had to order the two hoses that are unique to the left hand steer cars from North American dealers.

The principle ageing mechanism for cross linked rubber compounds is oxidation which is accelerated by elevated temperatures. The presence of ozone speeds this up as does exposure to UV and nasty chemicals. Temperature sensitive oxidation is generally covered by something called arrhenius reaction rate theory. Google that and you can see what a dramatic effect elevated temperatures have on the oxidation rates.

The general guideline on the shelf life of EPDM, Neoprene and Butyl rubbers is 5 - 10 years. Shelf life can be extended by keeping the rubber in a cool, dark place in sealed bags. All of my hoses from Honda came in thermally sealed plastic bags. Even if they had been on the shelf for a while the storage conditions will be better than the storage conditions for the hoses that are currently on your car. They may not be last month new; but, even if they have been on a shelf for 1-3 years I guarantee that they will be much newer than the hoses on your car.

I think it's not (just) age but also heat stress over the years. I'm not sure if there is some (slow) chemical reaction that takes places with the rubber and coolant either that would be vastly different than them being stored in a cool/dry place in storage.

As for sourcing the parts, I know MITA has them as a set. Will be doing mine soon as well.

What is MITA? Are their genuine dealers that sell all the hoses as a set? That would be much simpler!

I believe that Science of Speed also offers a 'package' of the OEM hoses if you don't want to order the individual hoses. You do pay for that convenience.

Just ordered from Mita Motorsports the ABS upgrade kit and the coolant hose set (btw Mita states that there are between 26-29 total hoses - please see below screen capture).

BTW guys, is it worthwhile to replace the coolant tank and thermostat, too, along with all the hoses? Thank you, all!

1702423949559.png

Same hose went out on me in 2014 while out on “spirited rally” trying to keep up with a V10 R8. I had no clue it blew until my buddy behind me called me bc he saw smoke and water. I probably drove it about a mile without knowing. Luckily it didn’t cause any damages. Tow home cost me more than all of the hoses and labor. I got my hoses from SOS at that time.

I ended up replacing the tank 2 years later due to a very minor leak.

BTW guys, is it worthwhile to replace the coolant tank and thermostat, too, along with all the hoses? Thank you, all!
The tank is typically done at the same time as the hoses. If your stat is original, I'd change it out too, along with the rad fan thermo switch in the stat cover. Use a Sankei cap, not the Honda one.

Back