• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blue Angels jet crashes

Terrible news. My thoughts and prayers to the friends and families of that brave aviator.

We're honored to call LtCmdr Todd Abrahamson a family friend. While we're a Marine family and love making jokes about the Navy, I can't tell you how awed we are were when Todd was chosen for a tour with the Blues. He flew the #2 jet and we saw him perform at several airshows.

Great group of folks and our thoughts and prayers go out to that community.

Semper Fi.

We just had the Pt Mugu airshow a couple of weeks ago, and I was disappointed the Blue Angels didnt make it out here this year. The Air Force Thunderbirds did show up. my thoughts and prayers are with the all those affected.

Semper Fidelis

Terrible news. My thoughts and prayers to the friends and families of that brave aviator.

We're honored to call LtCmdr Todd Abrahamson a family friend. While we're a Marine family and love making jokes about the Navy, I can't tell you how awed we are were when Todd was chosen for a tour with the Blues. He flew the #2 jet and we saw him perform at several airshows.

Semper Fi.

s/f.......................bill

I was there, my car was on display with many others as part of the static display, there were corvettes, Mustangs, Porsche's, ferrarri's as well many old cars that are in show condition. The show as great and we even had a picture taken of our cars on the runway in front of the Blue Angels before the show, everything was wonderful until the crash. I believe that most of the people there didn't know one had crashed as it crashed a few miles away and not in view for many there. My family and I just happened to be looking over that way right after it crashed and saw the smoke rising up. Some people near us actually saw it go down and we were all in disbelief that it was actually a Blue Angel that had gone down. In talking to some marines at the base it was initially thought the pilot may have been OK, it wasn't until we were on the way home we discovered that the pilot has died. Needless to say everyone was stunned and upset. Our prayers are with the pilots family and the Blue Angels team.

Last edited:
Raw Footage of blue angel #6 losing control and falling below the tree line

Witness Testimony -

"Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort Air Show. This was taken towards the end of the airshow. The whole show the Blue Angels put on was spetacular. Unfortunately there was a tragic ending as they were completing their closing maneuver, the "fleur-de-lis" and were preparing to land. The video shows Blue Angel airplane #6 going down below the treeline and then the 5 other planes shortly before landing. Jet #6 crashed.

We were on the north side of the runway, across from the food vendors and tower filming the airshow. As the jets were passing over the runway in a demonstration, that direction would be towards the east. I was facing the north-west to north as the jet was crashing to the treeline. Shortly after I filmed that clip, there was a plume of smoke to the north. The announcer has said that the 6 jets were preparing to land. Only 5 passed over the runway in the last maneuver as they headed south over the crowd, then east and then back north again. I noticed that one jet was circling to the northwest, near the plume of smoke. There were many sirens going off at the end of the show and then the helicoptor took off. Traffic was stopped and not permitted to leave. We heard on the radio what was happening. My prayers are with the family and co-workers of the aviator and the community of Beaufort South Carolina."

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="370" wmode="transparent" data="http://www.liveleak.com/player.swf?autostart=false&token=ec1_1177580115"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/player.swf?autostart=false&token=ec1_1177580115"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="quality" value="high"></object>

Semper Fi.
I'm sorry to hear how close you were to LCDR Abrahamson. I was a "fleet" aviator (RIO) that (wrongly) thought the Blues were "hollywood". When I was an applicant (in 1989) I gained a great deal of respect for them, their role/mission, and the skill/pressure they perform under.

Back