• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bluetooth dongle OBD 1

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out if I can get a dongle that will allow me to plug in an OBD2 bluetooth dongle into my 91 nsx. I am not trying to get car diagnostics all I want to do is power the device because it has a built in GPS tracker and wifi connectivity. I'm not sure it'll work by just being powered up without actually being connected to an obd2 port but I'd like to give it a shot.

Appreciate any help! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Innova sells Honda / Acura 2 pin OBD1 to OBD2 adapters. You need to check under their Pro series product line.

Honda's OBD1 systems are a mixed bag. On a very limited number of pre OBD2 Honda and Acura vehicles, the 2 pin connector is a data port and you can use that adapter to connect to an OBD2 reader which is set up to accept the OBD1 Honda codes. However, as far as I can tell, the NSX is not one of those vehicles. The service check connector is a dumb 2 pin connector which you short out to trigger the display of codes on the check engine light. There may or may not be 5 volts on one of the pins and even if there is, Honda never designed the system to power up external devices (unlike the OBD2 ports). So, it may or may not work and may or may not cause problems for your ECU. Personally, I would not try it.

Innova sells Honda / Acura 2 pin OBD1 to OBD2 adapters. You need to check under their Pro series product line.

Honda's OBD1 systems are a mixed bag. On a very limited number of pre OBD2 Honda and Acura vehicles, the 2 pin connector is a data port and you can use that adapter to connect to an OBD2 reader which is set up to accept the OBD1 Honda codes. However, as far as I can tell, the NSX is not one of those vehicles. The service check connector is a dumb 2 pin connector which you short out to trigger the display of codes on the check engine light. There may or may not be 5 volts on one of the pins and even if there is, Honda never designed the system to power up external devices (unlike the OBD2 ports). So, it may or may not work and may or may not cause problems for your ECU. Personally, I would not try it.

Thanks, good advice. I guess I could try finding what pin powers the obd2 dongle and just running power to it say from a cigarette lighter or something?? I have no experience with electronics, well minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you Google OBD2 connector pin out, you should be able to find a description of the pin assignments. I think pin 16 is +12v unswitched; but, don't quote me.

Back