• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BMW Forum

Can anyone point me in the direction of a quality BMW forum? I am considering the purchase of a BMW 840 or 850. Just trying to do some research. Any experience out there.... please advise. The way gas prices have been going lately, I'm a little concerned about driving a V12!!

TIA.

Bimmer.org is where you want to look for info on an E31. A fabulous car that is much better than an NSX is some ways and only slightly worse in other ways.

Thanks. Looks like exactly what I was looking for. Any 8-series experience out there.... please feel free to chime in.

Thanks again

PG

My mother currently drives an 840 CSI and I have borrowed it on occasion to go on long trips. I liked the looks of car when it first came out, mostly because it doesn't have 'B' pillars. The car is a dream to drive on the highway. It is solid and steady at speeds well in excess of 120mph. It also has good low down power, especially in the S4 mode. On the downside, it is very heavy, and the steering is very light; exactly how most German touring cars are built to exist. I prefer the feel of my NSX, but if you want luxury with style, the 8 series is the way to go.

Well, that's just my $.02!

Avoid BMW 850i at any cost. Trust me, I've owned one. I had a silver 1991 850i. I bought it used back in 1994, when the car had only 33,000 miles. I regularly serviced that POS at BMW dealer. But still, things started to fall apart when the car reach 50,000 miles. The rear window motor was death, $700. The motors for both front electric seat were burned. They have two motors on each, and each cost about $700, and that's almost $3,000 for them. And the list went on: The wiper's motors, The Air Cond, the Water pump prematurely failed, etc. I thought my car was a lemon, but I talked with two friends that I met later that also owned them, and theirs were also piece of S#!& cars. One guy told me that he suddenly lost power on the freeway, and it turned out that 6 of his 12 cylinders failed to work, it just died. The repair? A cool $16,000.

Do yourself a favor and avoid BMW AKA BMtroubleU

Thanks for the heads up on the 850.... I drove afew 840s and 850s and have decided that they aren't really what I am looing for. I have changed my mind and have opted for a Mercedes SL320/SL500. Thanks for the advice and input. Any experience on these cars is more than welcome.

Regards,
PG

Back