• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BMW M owners fed up with NSX owners?

Is there an animosity towards NSX owners from BMW M owners? Everytime I drive my NSX, there is always someone trying to race me at a light or trying to catch to me just to speed by me as fast as they can.

First experience: I'm at a light where I pull up to a new silver M3 conv. The light goes green and his back tires light up like we were drag racing. I think, "what a moron" and turn to a different road. The road went into a town home community which is dangerous enough.

Second experience: Took my car into work and decided to drive it around during Lunch. A red M3 conv speeds up and flys by me just to do a u-turn and gun it as loud as possible.

At work, I see many 911 Turbos, Ferrari Testarossas, 355 F1s, 360 Spyders. They all drive the speed limit and don't drive recklessly. Why is it these M3 conv. owners act they way they do? By the way, why do current M3s sound like lawn mowers engines?

[This message has been edited by wctsao (edited 07 May 2002).]

Originally posted by wctsao:
At work, I see many...Ferrari Testarossas, ....

I've never heard of anyplace that sees many Testarossas, including auto shows and concourses.

P.S. Yes I know that the above response is off topic - it just struck me as odd.
smile.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I agree with Michigan NSX.
Were I live I see the usual (for Europe) Porsches go by but seldom any Ferrari whatever year or type. Just got my own NSX since a couple of days and lot's of people are looking at it as if I just landed from Mars. (Big fun though).
Haven't seen any M3 lately. But do see many older 3-series goofed up to look like it.

Is there an animosity towards NSX owners from BMW M owners?

It has nothing to do with the NSX. If you drove a Mustang you'd see the same behavior.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Around here, most BMW owners drive like they own the road. It doesn't matter if it's an M or a standard 3 series. Not racing as much as driving rudely and ignoring other cars. If I see the behavior, I put them in their place when the opportunity arises by blocking them or something similarly annoying. Don't lower yourself to their level. That's my job.
biggrin.gif

I agree with Russ. The insurance premiums for my 95 M3s are essentially the same as for my 99 NSX-Z from which I infer that the typical M3 driver is overly aggressive and accident prone (note that the M3s are older and were half the price even when new).

After thinking about it, the NSX does sound somewhat like a sewing machine until the RPMs get higher. But the engine sounds so smooth that I usually keep it in the 3k-4k rpm range.

[This message has been edited by wctsao (edited 07 May 2002).]

I started the NSX for the first time in 6+ months yesterday. It sounded horrible and I was scared the almost 12 year-old timing belt had jumped a notch. Then I closed the door and after the car warmed up I was happy to hear the engine sounding normal. I like my sewing machine.
Don't get suckered into a race by those stupid BMW owners.
Yesterday when the BMW wouldn't start after sitting for a week I wished I had bought an NSX.

When I was a kid, real men drove Porsches, and their prissy blonde girlfriends drove white BMWs. These days, men wear fur jackets, dye their hair, get their nails done, pierce both ears, and drive BMWs.

Is there an animosity towards NSX owners from BMW M owners? Everytime I drive my NSX, there is always someone trying to race me at a light or trying to catch to me just to speed by me as fast as they can.

No, its a BMW owner problem.

The most blatant example Ive seen of this was when a bunch of us were going to a local theater and were driving south on the 101 near redwood city. Some total idiot in a black convertible M3 comes screaming out of the onramp and weaves dangerously through all 4 lanes of traffic. He almost clips some family in a camry and another family in some other car further up the road! He then exits 2 exits down at the last instant, cutting off yet another car at the exit. You can tell where he was by seeing the brake lights of all drivers panicking from the near misses.

My friend (who was also driving his BMW at the time) says "Gee, I guess thats why we BMW owners have a bad reputation" and we all laughed at him.

As for rudeness towards the NSX, the strangest one was when I pulled up at a stoplight next to an 18 wheeler and the driver started to really rev his engine. I couldnt stop laughing after that.

Just the other day i had the top off the car and a cute petit blonde in a dark navy blue M3 cabriolet chased up behind me and smiled after a few miles on her way off an exit, if only there was a display where i could have given out my number! argh! oh well!

Get a grip! There are as many poseur, wanna' be racers with NSX's as any other car out there. Half the local NSX's are owned by young Asians who lower them to the ground, add huge wings and nice big exhaust tips.
I drive the same way, whether I am in my 321HP Euro-spec M3 or ~425HP SC'd NSX. Oh, BTW, anyone with a stock 3.0L NSX better not bother racing a new M3 on the street
smile.gif

S.M.

Originally posted by E36S50:
Oh, BTW, anyone with a stock 3.0L NSX better not bother racing a new M3 on the street
smile.gif

S.M.

Oooooooooh, what huge performance claim! You mean that a brand new M3 will beat a twelve year old NSX? Wow! That is some impressive BMW technology. ; )

Bimmer drivers can be worse wankers than Mustang kids. I can't even begin to tell you how many I have absolutely pounded on with my Mercedes. And, they just don't get it. I will stomp them five or six times and they keep trying. They just can't believe that they are getting whupped and blame it on some problem with their car. Its sad.

This isn't intended to get anything started but here is a good BMW joke: What is the difference between a porcupine and a BMW driver? On the porcupine the pricks on the outside!!

Originally posted by David:
Oooooooooh, what huge performance claim! You mean that a brand new M3 will beat a twelve year old NSX? Wow! That is some impressive BMW technology. ; )
B]

Hey, I wasn't trying to be cocky, just stating a fact. Persoanlly I do find it impressive that a 3.2L N/A street motor can make that much power with such a nice torque curve and be so civilized...but let's not start that argument in this thread. There are no doubt may silly, arrogant and overly aggressive BMW drivers out there, but that behavior is not limited to BMW drivers.

I am sure many BMW driver don't know what has hit them when you pound on them with your Mercedes, whatever model it may be. There are also plenty of NSX drivers out there who can't understand why an 8 year old, stock looking 3 series just roasted them
smile.gif

Regards,
S.M.

HI:
Basically, there are not M cars or NSX problem. It just the ¡§ driver attitude ¡§, Before you got nice car, you better have nice ¡§ Drive Morality ¡§ . And as I know, the BMW always have good service then Acura. Beside that, the fact is without MODs, new M3, M5 and Z8 are faster then NSX. I got M5, ¡¦91 NSX and ¡¦97 NSX ¡V T, so I can say the BMW service is really good and you also can got free rental car, if you buy a new bimmer and under 3 years/36000 miles bumper to bumper warranty.

Drive safety and keep good mood, think about others people safety is our duty!!

We are all friend.

Originally posted by rcarlos:
Why does the NSX sound like a sewing machine?

It is because you hear the lost motion assemblies for the V-tech cam lobes.

I too have experienced M3 drivers doing unsafe crazy things when they come upon me in my NSX. I had one fellow this past Sunday hit on me for a race on a main highway and I did not respond. When I went off a exit ramp he stopped on the highway, backed up and exited to chase after me. He quit after a while of me keeping to the speed limit and not taking the bait.
When this stuff happens I remind myself that I operate a collision repair shop and that these folks make it possible for me to own a NSX. I shouldn't encourage them or join them in their challenges. The last thing I want is to take their spot in my shops' schedule.

Off topic, but may prove a point. In the last month at the same bodyshop, I have seen 3 brand new (2 still sporting paper dealer plates) M3 coupes with major FRONT END damage. Not your easy bumper replacement, as all had broken windshields and into the doors crash. Meaning?
BTW, I own a newer 3series BMW and I am not bashing them. Just the eye opening facts.

I think we see many more rude bimmer drivers because there are many more bimmers. If there were as many NSX's as Bimmers, there would appear to be more bad NSX drivers too. Also, maybe its because BMW owners know that they can easily replace there cars if wrecked with a better or cleaner one.

Liao,

What country are you from and where are you living now, anyways? I was just wondering because of the stuff you posted here and in other threads, don't take it the wrong way. We are all friends here, right?
cool.gif

Originally posted by Liao:
Beside that, the fact is without MODs, new M3, M5 and Z8 are faster then NSX.

Not exactly true. Here are the cars from fastest to slowest (straight-line acceleration):

Z8
3.2-liter 6-speed NSX Coupe
3.2-liter 6-speed NSX-T (tie)
E46 M3 (tie)
new M5
3.0-liter 5-speed NSX Coupe
3.0-liter 5-speed NSX-T
3.0-liter automatic NSX Coupe
3.0-liter automatic NSX-T

I think part of the problem is that as the prices for used M3s steadily decline, they are getting into the hands of younger, more aggressive drivers.

There are bad apples within every car community, and unfortunately those individuals can ruin the reputation of an entire marque. I can assure you that not all M owners carry animosity towards NSXs; I happen to know several M owners who love NSXs, including myself
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 08 May 2002).]

On a separate note, my personal experience has been that Civic Si owners feel the need to "prove themselves" in front of the NSX.

I lose count of the number of times that a young Si driver would go out his way to rev his engine on me, even when going the opposite way. One of them even challenged me to race him for $50 while at a stoplight...

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
On a separate note, my personal experience has been that Civic Si owners feel the need to "prove themselves" in front of the NSX.

I get either the above response or the "Oh my God, do you know what that is?" look they give to their passenger.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Back