• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bought a diesel

And am amazed by the technology in these things. Bought a F250 last week with a 6.4L twin turbo diesel - 350hp and 650ft lbs stock. Quiet, comfortable ride, and the interior is gorgeous - for a truck. Mpg sucks but the tree huggers can at least find solace in that it pollutes very little. Towing the NSX or a boat shouldn't be a problem. ;)

Looks like mods are fairly abundant but would delete the enviro controls that Ford put in place. Mods up the hp by 210-275 and would bring the truck close to 1000ft lbs of torque. Crazy numbers but I kinda like not blowing a black smoke screen in traffic so I think I'm leaving it stock for quite a while.

5289_1210006051411_1266518311_594051_2131283_n.jpg

The truck still smells like new and, jeez, is it big! I feel like Napoleon on a Clysdale. Anyway, I thought I'd share. There she is! :)

Don't worry about the tree huggers. They'll fall out of their Birkenstocks and hit their head on their Forester when you tell them that you cut down all of your trees and then removed the stumps with this truck. :biggrin:

Where do you park something like that? I hope the HOA doesn't complain. :wink:

Last edited:
Did you buy it in Houston? There's an auto retail company there that takes pictures in a spot that looks just like that for all their big trucks.

Did you buy it in Houston? There's an auto retail company there that takes pictures in a spot that looks just like that for all their big trucks.

Yep, DN Motorcars out of Houston.

Truck looks awesome but you should have bought a previous gen F250! My only concern with the new F250's is the MPG. I have read and heard that it isn't is good as the previous gen. A close friend of mine has a previous gen F250 and gets 17 MPG when not towing and 14 when towing.

Truck looks awesome but you should have bought a previous gen F250! My only concern with the new F250's is the MPG. I have read and heard that it isn't is good as the previous gen. A close friend of mine has a previous gen F250 and gets 17 MPG when not towing and 14 when towing.

I think all of the diesels have their pros and cons. The previous 6.0 have their issues as well. The 6.4 problems have to do with mpg and that's from all of the emissions controls (diesel particulate filter). Delete the emissions controls and the mpg goes up by 7 miles per gallon and hp and torque go ballistic.

But I'm keeping mine stock(ish) for now. ;) Maybe I'll tow the NSX to MSR...

I'd agree that if you're staying stock, the last gen is the better truck. I drove a 2005 F-250 quad cab (full size four doors) with the King Ranch package, 4" lift, and diesel motor and got 20 mpg on a 12 hour drive into the back country of Alberta. That's impressive for a truck that big and heavy.

With mods, though, the new ones are pretty sick. So are the old ones, though. :D

FWIW from what I've been told by my local dealership, if you install a programmer on it, the computer flags it and warranty is voided. Ask around before you install a programmer on it for better power. Since the cab has to be lifted off to do some engine work Ford has taken this warranty issue seriously. Nice color combo BTW.

Let the mods begin!!!!

Bad timing! I was looking at your truck but it sold rather quick.

FWIW from what I've been told by my local dealership, if you install a programmer on it, the computer flags it and warranty is voided. Ask around before you install a programmer on it for better power. Since the cab has to be lifted off to do some engine work Ford has taken this warranty issue seriously. Nice color combo BTW.

Indeed. I've heard of Ford rejecting warranty claims on trucks with intakes or exhaust. Which is bunk unless the specific aftermarket part is responsible for the warranty claim.

The truck makes 650ft lbs stock so mods, though impressive, are a ways off. However, a bigger transmission pan, replacing the stock speakers, and replacing the brakes are right around the corner.

Indeed. I've heard of Ford rejecting warranty claims on trucks with intakes or exhaust. Which is bunk unless the specific aftermarket part is responsible for the warranty claim.

Trust me, you will void the warranty when/if you start tinkering with the powertrain. What mod could be worth risking your warranty for?
This is coming from a dealership so I have first hand knowledge.

Trust me, you will void the warranty when/if you start tinkering with the powertrain. What mod could be worth risking your warranty for?

I'm fairly sure I've stated multiple times that I wasn't modifying the truck though some impressive performance has been extracted.

Are you saying that replacing the transmission pan with a Mag-Hytec, replacing the speakers and installing better rotors and pads is going to void my warranty?

Did some service to the F250 just to get experience with it and, wow, is changing oil a messy experience. My plan of moving from one drain pan to another as the oil drained didn't fare as well as I thought it would. Some things that I've learned:

- 15 qt. drain pans are a necessity if you don't want diesel oil over your In-N-Out Burger T-shirt, you don't want to run out of shop towels, have oil all over your driveway, and don't want to sacrifice a bath towel (honey, I hope you're not reading this and if you are it was an old towel anyway. Ok, ok, I'll buy another one).
- Kitty litter does a decent job of soaking up oil spills. I hope.
- 36mm sockets are a necessity as well. Too bad no one locally will sell one for less $35 bones. That said, a good and decent man from Advance Auto let me borrow a set of 32-36mm sockets. These are necessary to take off the plastic oil and fuel filter caps.
- Interweb search discovers the a $7-9 dollar 36mm 3/8 socket made expressly for the above oil and fuel filter. Woot! Further interweb search discovers that the plastic filter caps often break and that aftermarket billet parts are available for about the same price. Double woot!
- Being able to do an oil change w/o jacking up your car is awesome and, boy, is the underside of my F250 clean.
- The F250 downtube is ginormous. 4 inches side, IIRC, but there looks to be a pinch in it. Must interweb search for unpinched downpipes...
- Need a stool to properly work on the engine. It's a big freakin' truck.
- While you're soaked with diesel oil, you might as well tune-up the lawn tractor - air filter, oil change, sparkplugs, fuel filter.
- Above lawn tractor service takes one quarter of the time the F250 oil change does.

...and that after 4 hours of truck and lawn tractor service, knowing a job was done well and completely is worth the time of doing it. Oh, and sitting down to a beer in your garage after it's all said and done, when it's 95 degrees out, is immensely satisfying. :)

The only case where a vehicle manufacturer can void the warranty is if the aftermarket part is proven to be responsible for the warranty claim. Further, it is also illegal on the part of the dealer to state that the use of an aftermarket part will void the warranty. The law is clear: Simply because aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle, the vehicle manufacturer cannot automatically void the warranty.

Nice looking truck indeed!

Yep, DN Motorcars out of Houston.

DN Motorcars are crooks however. They tried to sell me a car with odometer rollback. When I pointed it out, they claimed they were selling it for a friend of another salesman. Then they basically ignored me while I waited for an answer. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but gave up. I got a bad vibe and left.

I found some paperwork (2 separate things) showing x amount of miles, but the car had LESS mileage. Coincidence?

Later, someone called and asked if I was interested. I asked again about the odometer rollback, and the tone of the conversation almost immediately hung up on me. "Hold on, I've got a customer here, I'll call you back" click. Ok, done venting. :smile:

Nice looking truck indeed!

Thanks for the compliment. It's the King Ranch edition and the interior is pristine. Even smells new.

DSC02836.JPG

The CARFAX on my truck checked out and the dealerships that did the service previously know the truck and the previous owner. Sorry you had such a bad experience with them. :frown:

Last edited:
Back