• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brain trust thread

Thread for question that you need help with a solution. I'll go first.

So I need a clock for my bedroom. Problem is I like to have the room pitch dark when I sleep, and with the new hurricane shutters on the outside of my house the room is now perfect. The sun comes up when i say so, lol. So a traditional clock is not gonna work. The last clock I had I applied three layers of dark window tint over the lens so the light was very dim, however it was still annoying as hell to me. An additional problem is I'm blind as a bat without glasses, so I need something large. Do you guys know of a clock that will light up for a few seconds when I wave my hand near it or one for the nightstand that comes on when touched?
I'd really prefer a wall clock.

Steve, I must warn you about using hurricane shutters as window shades. DON'T! If there is ever a fire in the house and the FD needs to get into your bedroom from the outside, they can't. Every year there are deaths of adults and children down here because people use them as you described.

As for a clock that doesn't emit a lot of light. I use my cell phone with a clock app that only emits light when I pick up the phone. If you have an old iPhone or something laying in a drawer, I'd say use it for a clock which can be customized for however you like.

One more thing. Go open up the closed shutters right now. :)

i use my phone as well.......btw why don't you just hire a guy to gently wake you up or whisper the time to you.....just sayin.

Steve, I must warn you about using hurricane shutters as window shades. DON'T! If there is ever a fire in the house and the FD needs to get into your bedroom from the outside, they can't. Every year there are deaths of adults and children down here because people use them as you described.

As for a clock that doesn't emit a lot of light. I use my cell phone with a clock app that only emits light when I pick up the phone. If you have an old iPhone or something laying in a drawer, I'd say use it for a clock which can be customized for however you like.

One more thing. Go open up the closed shutters right now. :)

There are other means of egress in place for that very reason.

I don't have an iPhone, don't want one either. I like being unconnected. However that's a good idea.

After I posted this thread my 4 year old over heard me talking with my wife about the clock issue. My 4 year old comes in the room and hands me a lego robot then slaps its head down, clock lights up on it chest. She didn't say a word just smiled and winked.

- - - Updated - - -

i use my phone as well.......btw why don't you just hire a guy to gently wake you up or whisper the time to you.....just sayin.

I don't want some strange dude hanging out in the bedroom all night.

- - - Updated - - -

You can always get blackout shades and some drapes to make it pitch black.

My daughter has a clock that projects the time when you push on the top. You can always cover the main clock with black tape, and when you push on the button, it projects the time (in large numbers) on the ceiling.

Here are some options:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/3/clock-projection

Sweet!

It's lightly off topic but I love my Phillips Wakelight.

lol..............

lol..... Just do what most of us do. Set the alarm on your cell phone and if you're curious what time it is grab it and check the time.

Even worse, they would seriously delay escape from a fire for the occupants of the house.

My solution isn't elegant. I just put tape carefully over the front of my bedroom clock.
I have thick blackout shades over my bedroom windows and I've taped up all clocks, DVR, etc.
It's so dark at night, you can't see your hand 1'' from your face.
I sleep so much better like that.

Last edited:
I actually just lay my clock on it's face. When I get up to pee, theres nothing worse than seeing I only have 20 minutes or so left to sleep. I actually can't go back to sleep then. If I don't see the time I fall right back to sleep.

since we are on the subject..are there any reading this thread who don't need an alarm clock to get to work?I wake up at the correct time every morning....kinda like an internal clock.

My cock wakes me up every morning.

220px-Fighting_cock_Philippines.jpg

...wow you are hardcore.....hey does your cock pick any fights with the neighbors cocks?.......thats illegal if he does....

...wow you are hardcore.....hey does your cock pick any fights with the neighbors cocks?.......thats illegal if he does....

I don't think he'd pick any fights with that small cock of his. :D

since we are on the subject..are there any reading this thread who don't need an alarm clock to get to work?I wake up at the correct time every morning....kinda like an internal clock.

No way. Without an alarm clock, I'll sleep 9 hours.

I don't think he'd pick any fights with that small cock of his. :D

lol...he gets sand kicked in his one eye...............

anyone know of a a way to view all cell phones currently on the market and also from the past as well.

I currently use a Razr v9, love the flip phone, but it sucks for texting. The iPhone would be great if it was as thin as an iPod and not thick like a brick, even better if it was a flip phone. I like something really small in my pocket but would like to get a buttonless keyboard like the iPhone has. Even better would be no phone at all.

- - - Updated - - -

i think dtrigg does that for him already and the beard bothers steve.

I'm not sure that guy ever sleeps. I call him at 8am my time and he's already up, but its 5am out there. I would have to guess the frequent beeping in the background is a coffee maker brewing another cup of Jo?

Back