• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake Caliper Clearance

Question for all of you.. What is the minimum recommended clearance from the caliper to the face of the wheel? I currently have approx 2.5 MM between my AP Racing caliper and my VOLK TE37 (40mm offset) (using 7.5MM spacer). I am thinking of having a custom 6mm spacer made, but that would only leave approx 1MM of clearance.... I know that wheel bearings/etc will have a small amount of play during extreme cornering/etc - so i am wondering if this falls within an acceptable range..

(Why do i want to do this, by the way... I need about another MM of clearance for the new S03's to clear perfectly... there is a very slight rubbing as it sits today.)

thoughts?

I had a custom 2mm spacer made for my Volk GTCs to fit over my Stoptech BBK. I was told that if you fold a piece of paper in half you should be able to slide it between the rim spoke and caliper without touching. BTW I was at the track yesterday and had no problems rubbing or the rims touching the caliper under cornering and hard braking.

Mine have 2mm tops with the Brems. The only problem you might have would be a rock getting in there if you slid off the track. Dan

tunapie said:
Mine have 2mm tops with the Brems. The only problem you might have would be a rock getting in there if you slid off the track. Dan

This maybe a dumb question, but what would happen if a rock did get in there?

I'm curious because with my custom wheels, I don't have much clearance either.

Regards,
- Z

I never really thought about the rock thing..i guess its possible.. would probably just scratch and ding teh shit out of the inner wheel and outer caliper... doubt a small rock like that would cause any sort of lock up...

mostly i just want to be sure that there is enough clearance that under stress things dont flex, and catch... i know of one guy with a vette who was heading down hwy 280... going about 140. He hit a bump and the spoke collapsed, caught his caliper, locked up the wheel, and he spun out..
he cant drive any more..

anyway.. that's extreme... plus the forged volks have super-strong spokes, i think the rim would collapse far before the spokes did..

Back