• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake Caliper Paint

Looking into painting my brake calipers.
I've heard of using engine paint.
Powder Coating.
and a friend mentioned a product called "Folia-Tec" (Brake Caliper Lacquer).

Any suggestions?

Some paints are brush-on. I prefer the spray paints myself.
I've heard that powder coating have a negative side in that it is more proned to melting when temperature go up. This is just what I heard--no personal experience with it though.

I chose Spray Paint

After some thought and research, I chose to spray paint my calipers. Considered Red but couldn't find the right shade. Went with conservative Black (though not as "Black" as I would have liked, has a dark gray appearance.). I used 1200 degree paint, sanded down lettering and then finished with 500 degree clear coating. Total cost was about $15. I'm very happy with results.

Attachments

• caliper.jpg
    caliper.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,064
Last edited:
Click on the FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions) on the red bar above. In the Do It Yourself area, you'll find an entire section on painting the calipers.

As dumb as it might sound, I painted my calipers with BBQ high temp paint. This is available for a reasonable price at the home improvement stores in quart containers. After prepairing the calipers with cleaner and scuffing them up, I brushed the surfaces with a small brush.

I did this without fear that the paint might not stick or stay on. I knew I could always do it again (powdercoat or other paint) and all I would be out is $6 in supplies.

As of yet, the calipers look as good as the day I painted them and I am very happy with the results.

gene '96 #178 said:
As dumb as it might sound, I painted my calipers with BBQ high temp paint. This is available for a reasonable price at the home improvement stores in quart containers. After prepairing the calipers with cleaner and scuffing them up, I brushed the surfaces with a small brush.

I did this without fear that the paint might not stick or stay on. I knew I could always do it again (powdercoat or other paint) and all I would be out is $6 in supplies.

As of yet, the calipers look as good as the day I painted them and I am very happy with the results.

They have that same bbq paint(but small spray can) at Super Autobacs, I was gonna use it also, but didn't want to drive down there the day I decided to do it. It's basically the same thing as the engine paint.

I used VHT brake & caliper spray paint - good for 900 deg; finishes & holds up well. Available at many auto performance stores or do a google search for mail order options.

thanks

Thanks to all who offered advice.

After much research I went with VHT Brake calliper spray paint.
Cheap ($8.00), easy. Good to 900 degrees - we will see if that is suffucient.
95 percent of the work was in prep. 12 years of brake dust and grime took a long time to remove. The painting was easy.
I'll post a photo of the brakes and my graphite color wheels as soon as I can.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• brakes.jpg
    brakes.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 957
Brad,

Your calipers look great as it really shows that you took your time and did the job with care.

Excellent job and I hope we get to see the brakes after the wheels are on (along with the rest of the car).

I too have been thinking about painting the calipers on my X. However, with yellow car, I see only 3 options for color -- yellow to match my car (prefered), graphite to match the wheels (second choice), or black. Does anyone know if any company makes a yellow caliper paint? All I have seen are the standard red and black.

you dont need to use "caliper" paint, just get some high-temp engine block paint at an auto supply store which comes in dozens of colors. lots of people here have used it with success.

I just finished painting my calipers as well.

DSC03038-vi.jpg

DSC03041-vi.jpg

DSC03053-vi.jpg

Here is what I used:
DSC03058-vi.jpg

Total cost of the project was about $10. I'll be tracking the car at Sebring next month so we'll see how it holds up but I am not worried about it. I also took this opportunity to install some speed bleeders since I had the calipers off. I recommend them to everyone.

Last edited:
look at that blatent Pepsi propaganda! :D looks good.

Has anyone painted their calipers silver? I think that would look good on a black car.

Also, people that spray painted them, did anyone do it w/o removing the calipers from the car?

i used spray paint with the calipers on the car, but what i did was spray it into the paint cap then used a small brush to paint it on. i wouldnt try spraying the calipers directly with them on the car. a little mistake and you're painting your car instead.

dawggpie said:
look at that blatent Pepsi propaganda! :D looks good.

Has anyone painted their calipers silver? I think that would look good on a black car.

Also, people that spray painted them, did anyone do it w/o removing the calipers from the car?

If you use the link in my first post on this thread, I added a little DIY on painting the calipers while still on the car. :p

Did someone ask for silver calipers on a black NSX? Just did mine last weekend.

John

Attachments

• dcp_1296_small.jpg
    dcp_1296_small.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 750
caz-nsx said:
Did someone ask for silver calipers on a black NSX? Just did mine last weekend.

John

Thanks, do you have a picture of the car from further back? Which paint did you use?

demigod, cool. I'll check it out.

Basch Acura will do mine in Phx

because they said they do that service and I will combine that with getting new wheels and tires and because I'm just too lazy and don't want to block my car up to do it...think, I 'll get slotted rotors at the same time and possibly change out the pads.

That's it--when I need new pads, then I'll do all the rest--LOL

Back