• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake dust

I seam to have an excessive amount of brake dust on my wheels. Can anyone recommend a brake pad that is dustless or almost dustless. I have a 99 nsx and I do only street driving

The previous owner put some type of Pep-Boys brake pads on my NSX (Raybestos?). They did not dust much at all, but they had nowhere near the bite of CarboTech I replaced them with.

I was not able to do a direct comparison to the stock pads, but judging from some time behind the wheel of my friend's NSX, the Pep-Boys pads on my NSX has less stopping power than his with stock pads.

FYI: This is all on 1991 NSX, I assume 97+ will have the same relative gains/losses.

------------------
ojaspatel.com/nsx

I would never, never, never use any "generic" (IOW - low performance) brake pads from an auto parts store on my NSX. The NSX has formidable capabilities and I wouldn't want to degrade its performance by using something that's less capable than the stock parts - especially on the braking system.

Furthermore, this is a real possibility, since the size and shape of the NSX brake pads are identical with certain Legend models, so auto parts stores will probably carry inferior brake pads that will fit the NSX. Even Acura sells cheaper, lower-performance OEM brake pads for the Legend that are different from the OEM pads for the NSX.

Using such pads is a bad, bad idea.

$.02

For my fellow NSXer's, I am highly recommending the Axxis Ultimate brake pad as an OEM replacement pad. The dust level is similar to OEM, but it is non-corrosive, and not "sticky" on wheel finishes. It has increased bite, and the braking torque is 15-20% more than OEM, while also having a fade point of 1000F, versus 650F for OEM. Further, it's less expensive than the OEM pads.

List prices are $92.25 front and $56.25 rear...my new company, Cobalt Friction Technologies (www.cobaltfriction.com) is selling them for 20% off to NSXCA members as a special introductory promotion until the end of August.

As always, if you ever have questions about your brake system, please feel free to call me toll-free at 877.562.9237, or send me an e-mail at [email protected] .

With Best Regards,

Andie Lin
Cobalt Friction Technologies
1995 Black/Black NSX-T --> The Batmobile :)

Hey! Andie's back!
partysmiley.gif
beerchug.gif
party.gif

Of course, we knew he was around, since we saw his photo here.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 13 July 2002).]

Back