• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

brake light failure display

break light failure display

First I'd like to thank everyone for the wealth of info that is on this
board. I think that I've read just about every post on this board.
I recently bought a 91 silver/blk 26k. My display in the dash for the rear break lights won't go out I've gone thru the manual and found the brake light failure sensor test procedure tried that to no avail. Does anyone have any other ideas??Lyle

What do you mean when you refer to the display on the dash for the rear brake lights? I don't know which display you mean. When you step on the brakes, nothing lights up on the dash... :confused:

It's the display that shows if any of your doors,trunk,hood are open or if you have a rear brake light that is out. Thanks for responding.

Lyle

Are you sure all 4 of your brake lights are working?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. :D

Looking over the brake light burnt out indication circuit. There is 4 relays, each ones coil in series a brake light bulb. If any one of the bulbs burns out its relay does not close breaking the series connection to ground. If was trouble shooting this I would jumper out the relay contacts and see if the indiacator went out. If it does look closer at the relays if it dos'nt the problem is up front.

Good Luck

Brian

Brian,
I used the procedure in the manual grounded wires to see if the light went out it dosen't. All the bulbs are good, according to the service manual it's a broken wire someware between trunk and display in dash. I thought I'd get lucky and it was something simple... Lyle

Probably this would work for you as it work for me. Release the hand brake before switching on the engine. Somewhere under the glove compartment the grounding wire is not touching. I'm waiting for my budget then I will repair. Hope it works for you.;)

Did you actually start the car, tap the brake pedal, then see if the brake warning lamp comes on? It has to see if there is a break in the circuit before it lights up.

... that's how it worked on all my other Honda's anyway... I haven't had a brake light burn out on the NSX... yet.

Lyle

I pulled out the electricial trouble shooting manual, found the route the signal takes from the trunk. In the trunk its connector C555 ORN/WHT wire from there it goes to C407 #14 ORN/WHT wire located behind the left kick panel with the dash removed, from there its goes to the gauge assy. connector C412 ORN/WHT wire pin 12 located at the lower left of the gauge assy. Looks like you can get to it by disasenbling the stuff below and in front of the gauge assy.

C412 is a 30 pin green connector
C407 is a 20 pin blue connector
C555 ia a 8 pin grey connector

Good luck

BrianK

Power by Honda,

When you first start the car all lights come on showing both doors,trunk & hatch are open after approx 3 sec all go off but the rear break malfunction indicator stays on.

Brian,

I'll try finding those connectors and shorting wire to see where shorting causes light to go out then I'll know where the break is. Thanks for the help...Lyle

fredderf said:
When you first start the car all lights come on showing both doors,trunk & hatch are open after approx 3 sec all go off but the rear break malfunction indicator stays on.

Have you tried using the brake once, to get it off?
You have to use the brake, before that particular light goes off...

Well, on my 1993 european NSX it works that way.........

Fredderf,

I have the same problem too. The brake lights indicator stays on after the car has started. After driving for like 5 mins, I shut down and restart the car, problem gone.

I only noticed this when the nsx has not been driven for over 2 weeks and only happens on the first startup of the day. My solution to the problem.... drive the nsx more :)

Regards,

Henry.

Henry,

Thanks for the input however I'm not that lucky mine stays on
all the time I took it for a 100mi cruse this weekend, had lunch got back in the car light still came on...Lyle

Took my car in for an alignment and new tires, acura tech found that two of the bulbs weren't Honda bulbs, he replaced them with the proper bulbs problem solved... cost $4.00... Thanks again for all of the input...Lyle;)

fredderf said:
Took my car in for an alignment and new tires, acura tech found that two of the bulbs weren't Honda bulbs, he replaced them with the proper bulbs problem solved... cost $4.00... Thanks again for all of the input...Lyle;)

What kind of proper "Honda bulbs" is that? Voltage/watts different to ordinary bulbs :confused:

Two days later the light came back on so the bulbs didn't fix it. I kinda wondered at the time. Talked to the tech he said it must be a loose connection then...Lyle

I thought that lamp also tells you if you have low brake fluid. However, IT might be the parking brake lamp that tells you this.

fredderf said:
Two days later the light came back on so the bulbs didn't fix it. I kinda wondered at the time. Talked to the tech he said it must be a loose connection then...Lyle

The short was gone after the mechanic replaced the bulbs and then shortly reappeared…hmmm…maybe a short at one of the bulb bases. I’d try wiggling the bases to see if you can get it to work again and narrow down the faulty base.

Good luck,
DanO

If it came back after having it apart for lamp replacment my guess is loose or bad connections in the lamp sockets or the conector to the relays. Check all for tightness and or cororsion. With someone pressing on the brake wiggle all the stuff back there and when you start hearing the relay(s) clicking you will be at or neer the problem area.

Briank

Fredderf,

Any update on your brake lamp problem? I'm having your exact problem and having a hard time fixing it.

Thnx.

Henry.

brake light

Henry,
It appears to come and go depending on how much I drive it, if I take it out a few times in the same week it seems to go away. I guess it just wants to be driven more...Lyle

Lyle,

My mechanic said the problem is caused by 'not enough' grounding. :confused:

That brake lamp on the dash sure is annoying! And I can't stand my x not being in perfect health :(

Henry.

Sounds like it might be a bad ground at one of the sockets, check the sockets and contacts for corrosion etc. I've had that problem in a friends MR-2 turned out to be a bad ground in the socket itself.

Thanks,

Back