• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake Pad question

Well guys its time for me to change my front pads for my car.... I just heard the early Sqeal alert noise from my pad today telling me its time to change me. Well I searched thru some old threads for some reconmended break pads and i found that the following seems to be the more popular one:

1. Carbotech panthers
2. Axxis Ultimate aka Dali brake pads
3. OEM
4. Ferodo
5. Hawk hps
6. Project Mu

Well i was just thinking about getting a set of OEM then found that they run about $170 a pair. So i think with that price i can get some good aftermarket ones. I'm just looking for a set for street use mainly. Sometimes spirited driving on the weekends up in the hills. I really don't want much dusting from the pads and i am very satisfied with the results of the OEM. Of all those i was thinking about leaning towards the Project Mu Street pads... was curious if anyone have any feedback on those.

Hawk HPS is a great street -aggressive driving Pad and reasonably priced I liked them much better than stock and the dusting is not bad at all. Tried the Carbotechs they bite great but dust like hell.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Porterfield

R-4S

Great stopping for even spirited street driving with a relatively low dusting level. Keep in mind, almost any aftermarket pad may dust more than OEM. At least this proved true for me on the aftermarket brands that I have used - Axxis, Carbotech and Porterfield. One other thing to be aware of - some, not all, aftermarket pads do not have the wear tab squeal indicator, so you will have to be more proactive in periodic pad inspection.

I do think you answered your own question:), OEM.

You can get an NSXCA discount to get them for about $130. Any other pad you pick will be more dusty then the OEM's. And it really sounds like you are not interested in any performance change.

Also if you were thinking of alternatives, you should add "Cobalt Friction" to your list of choices. I had been using RM pads and the HPDE pads from Andie are really great IMO. They are a bit "dusty" though:)

HTH,
LarryB

Joel said:
I'm inclined to stick with OEM brake pads on any car.
Just to play it safe.

"Safe" meaning what? People have used aftermarket pads & shoes since long before most of us were born and there is nothing to suggest that there is anything less safe about those from reputable manufacturers. The difference tends to be a matter of shifting the compromise between various factors such as dusting, squeal, wear on the rotors, hot/cold grip, etc. If you try using a race-only pad on the street then poor cold performance may indeed constitute less safe, but that’s not being suggested here.

The safe choice is the one that most closely matches how the car is used. In the case of the NSX, stock pads are well suited to most street driving but not optimal on the track. With many other cars not designed with a bias towards performance driving it is clearly “safer” to switch pads if you plan to do spirited street drives.

The OEM pads are very nice. Longggg wear and no noise or dust. They do not have much initial bite, but still stop as well as many aftermarket type pads.

The Hawks are nice.

If you go with Carbotech, you want Bobcats, not Panthers. Panthers are not a street only type pad. Bobcats will treat you right even in autocross, but will wear out prematurely at the track.

I do agree that it sucks how much the OEM's cost. You might look into the >'97 pads, as they have a little more initial bite than the '91-96 pads.

HTH.

Seems like i'm gonna go towards the aftermarket route now...I have a set of powerstop cross-drills for the front waiting to be installed with my new pads.....And it doesn't seem like people have much objections to the Hawk HPS pads here and the price is awesome too. I hope i can feel some performance difference with this setup.

ncdogdoc said:
The OEM pads are very nice. Longggg wear and no noise or dust. They do not have much initial bite, but still stop as well as many aftermarket type pads.

The Hawks are nice.

If you go with Carbotech, you want Bobcats, not Panthers. Panthers are not a street only type pad. Bobcats will treat you right even in autocross, but will wear out prematurely at the track.

I do agree that it sucks how much the OEM's cost. You might look into the >'97 pads, as they have a little more initial bite than the '91-96 pads.

HTH.

What's a good price for aftermarket pads? (...and rotors for that matter?)

I will be either (1) getting full OEM brakes at the dealer next spring or (2) doing it myself with aftermarket parts.

I guess I'm looking for the ultimate compromise: 100% street, maybe 1-2 track days next year, I'm happy with OEM so far & I don't want dusting or squealing. But if I can retain the OEM feel while going for a little increased performance that would be great.

BTW, my local Acura dealer quoted me $530 for new rotors, pads, & labor for all 4 corners. Don't seem so bad to me...

Thanks

kgb_agent said:
What's a good price for aftermarket pads? (...and rotors for that matter?)

I will be either (1) getting full OEM brakes at the dealer next spring or (2) doing it myself with aftermarket parts.

The Bobcats will run you around $170 for all four wheels.

Larry Bastanza said:
Also if you were thinking of alternatives, you should add "Cobalt Friction" to your list of choices. I had been using RM pads and the HPDE pads from Andie are really great IMO. They are a bit "dusty" though:)

I agree with Larry B (especially since he put these on my car for the first time for NSXPO 2003). They made a huge difference at Infineon over the OEMs which I had run at 20 other HPDE's.

I also agree with his assessment as to them being "dusty." I would refer you to the Concours "winners" where I was awarded the distinguished "dirtiest wheels" title.

Cost of Stock Rotors

I've seen new Bendix Rotors for sale on Ebay for $20 each ($40/pr) Does anyone know how this compares to Honda rotors? Anyone tried the Bendix rotors?

So the HAWK HPS has little dust from what it seems?

Mine are due soon too.

I've used Bendix rotors on others cars but not the NSX. They work fine on a Ford Ranger, and Mazda MpV I've had.

How about ceramic pads? I was told that these type of pads leave the least amount of brake dust.

I'm running Axxis Ultimate ceramic pads and they do dust more than OEM pads. I have to clean the wheels after each drive. I guess, like most agreed, any aftermarket pads will dust more than OEMs.

What pads are you running with your Wilwood kit?

Re: Porterfield

AndyVecsey said:
I can show you a set of those in which the metal backing plate softened enough to fold around the caliper piston. I don't recommend them for that reason.

CDub said:
I'm running Axxis Ultimate ceramic pads and they do dust more than OEM pads. I have to clean the wheels after each drive. I guess, like most agreed, any aftermarket pads will dust more than OEMs.

What pads are you running with your Wilwood kit?

I have the Wilwood Ceramic Pads. I was informed that these leave the least amount of dust on the cross drilled/vented nikel plated 13" rotors and will last the longest since I do not track the car.

I have the Wilwood Ceramic Pads. I was informed that these leave the least amount of dust on the cross drilled/vented nikel plated 13" rotors and will last the longest since I do not track the car.

You might want to check and see what kind of pad are you going to get, I have that on my Honda Accord (Wilwood 4 piston w/ 13" rotors) The brake dust are as much as I've seen on others, like a day with 50miles commuting (not spirited driving) is enough to get the wheels (that have silver finish) dull and dirty... I have the street pad that Wilwood offers... not sure which grade they used, but I can go home and check which grade if you want me to...

NSXDreamer2 said:
You might want to check and see what kind of pad are you going to get, I have that on my Honda Accord (Wilwood 4 piston w/ 13" rotors) The brake dust are as much as I've seen on others, like a day with 50miles commuting (not spirited driving) is enough to get the wheels (that have silver finish) dull and dirty... I have the street pad that Wilwood offers... not sure which grade they used, but I can go home and check which grade if you want me to...

Mine are Type Q according to their pad rating system. So far very little dust from my drive from the Valley to Orange County (60 miles) thru today.

Project U

I had these for about a year and a half (20k miles) and really like them.
A little more than half life still left. I've tracked the car only 3 times and they work great with better feel than the stock pads.
Seem to dust a little more than stock but not as bad as other aftermarket pads I've used before (not on the nsx).

Hawk HPS

I recently inatalled the Hawk hps. Although the inital stopping power (when the pads/rotors are cold) is similar to stock, maybe a bit less, when these puppies warm up after a stop or so they really grip. I track my car 1-3 times a year so it is mostly for street use and I like them alot. They are a little dustier (expected) than stock but half the price.

I have Ferodo and they stop well. But they also squeal and dust like a MOFO.

I will probably go back to stock.

ncdogdoc said:

HTH.

I'm running the Panthers (all street so far) and they dust quite a bit, and they're a little "slippery" on the first stop but after that they provide a lot of grip. I can provoke ABS on dry pavement (with OEM Yokohama's) and the OEM brakes couldn't. I also had the OEM brakes start shuddering when taking some easy laps around VIR, so I decided to upgrade...

How are the Bobcats compared to the Panthers on the street? I haven't seen any postings with someone usinb Bobcats...

There should be someone out there with bobcats,I think Hrant gave away 20 sets as raffel prizes this past xpo!:)

Has anything changed in the last couple years?
The pads on my car work fine, but are very dirty.
(No idea what they are)
I have to clean the stock powder coated wheels after every drive.
Not too bad, but am changing wheels to a style that will be a pain to keep clean.
Is it still true that OEM pads are the cleanest and still stop the car?
Thanks!

Back