• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake pad spring question

I have a 98 that is making a slapping/clicking sound in the rear when going over bumps or transitions. When the brakes are applied the noise is not present. I took the car to my mechanic, after taking a quick look he said the problem was the fact that the pad springs between the caliper and the top of the pad were missing.

Taking a look at my shop manual it does not list them in the diagram for the rear brakes. However looking at the 91 manual available as a PDF on this site it does show them in the exploded diagram. I know that the brakes changed in 97 so my question is do the 97+ brakes still use the pad spring.

Thanks
-martin

I don't know about the 97, but I'm guessing that it is a "shim" that many times is actually on the pad itself. Are these OEM pads?

I was referring to item #16 from the diagram bellow.
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray...-T&catcgry5=REAR+BRAKE&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

PN# 43227-SL0-003, which does not come up in the parts list when you restrict the search with 97+ which makes me think that this part is not used on the 97+ brakes. However even though the 97 shop manual does not show it in the expanded view, in the pad replacement procedure it states "Make sure that the pad spring is installed onto the caliper body".

I have both inner/outer pad shims as well as all four pad retainers with OEM pads so I'm sure thats not it.

Throughly confused...
-martin

Last edited:
Kushbudz said:
I was referring to item #16 from the diagram bellow.
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray...-T&catcgry5=REAR+BRAKE&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

PN# 43227-SL0-003, which does not come up in the parts list when you restrict the search with 97+ which makes me think that this part is not used on the 97+ brakes. However even though the 97 shop manual does not show it in the expanded view, in the pad replacement procedure it states "Make sure that the pad spring is installed onto the caliper body".

I have both inner/outer pad shims as well as all four pad retainers with OEM pads so I'm sure thats not it.

Throughly confused...
-martin

I think you are right about the clip/part you are talking about. When I did the NA2 brake swap, I got confused becaues that clip was not there but it's not used on NA2 rear caliper.

Are you saying that you DO have the retainer Larry B is mentioning?

Yes I DO have the retaining clips that Larry B & Daedalus are referring to on both calipers (PN 43244-SL0-J01) as well as the appropriate shim on on side of each of the four pads(OEM).

The part I am confused about is #16 from the diagram pasted by Larry B (PN 43227-SL0-003)
http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnys...-T&catcgry5=REAR+BRAKE&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

The above parts list shows it for the 97 (however some parts lists that I have looked at do not show it for the 97+ models).

Also the 97 shop manual does not show the "pad spring" in the exploded diagram like it does for in pre-97 shop manuals. However the confusing thing is the last step in section 9 of the brake pad replacement procedure in the 97 shop manual states "Make sure that the pad spring is installed onto the caliper body" just like the pre-97 shop manuals.

I am thinking that the 97+ brakes are not supposed to have this spring (I do not see how it would fit in there without rubbing against the top of the rotor). However the discrepancy in the shop manual/parts lists as well as the acura dealer telling me it's missing is making me unsure.

Thanks
Martin

Kushbudz said:
I am thinking that the 97+ brakes are not supposed to have this spring (I do not see how it would fit in there without rubbing against the top of the rotor). However the discrepancy in the shop manual/parts lists as well as the acura dealer telling me it's missing is making me unsure.

Thanks
Martin

yeah I agree. 97+ rear brake calipers do not have the clip you are talking about.

-ak

Back