• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake Rotor Suggestion

Drilled rotors are standard on Porsche Turbos and Ferraris, not slotted. If the cracking issue is true, why haven't they moved on to slotted rotors?

A lot of the guys tracking Porsches on a regular basis have. Porsche and Ferrari OEM rotors are cast with the holes in them, aftermarket ones are not and are drilled after the casting. They are more prone to cracking. Why? Don't know, but I do know that my Brembo cross drilled rotors lasted 4 track days. Two at Putnam Park and two at Autobahn CC. Worse cracking I have ever had with any rotor I have run. As you can see in the pics below the cracks went over the edges in numerous spots on both rotors, so I pulled them and replaced with slotted. Yes, I'm hard on my brakes and yes I'm running 2.5" ducting to the center of the rotor and Dali Air Deflectors also. Running PFC01 pads.

As you can see, the cracking wasn't the problem. It was the cracking that went to the edge and over.

Attachments

• IMAG0088.jpg
    IMAG0088.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 366
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 358
  • IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
A lot of the guys tracking Porsches on a regular basis have. Porsche and Ferrari OEM rotors are cast with the holes in them, aftermarket ones are not and are drilled after the casting. They are more prone to cracking. Why? Don't know, but I do know that my Brembo cross drilled rotors lasted 4 track days. Two at Putnam Park and two at Autobahn CC. Worse cracking I have ever had with any rotor I have run. As you can see in the pics below the cracks went over the edges in numerous spots on both rotors, so I pulled them and replaced with slotted. Yes, I'm hard on my brakes and yes I'm running 2.5" ducting to the center of the rotor and Dali Air Deflectors also. Running PFC01 pads.

+1 on the P and F discs, these are cast. All aftermarket ones are drilled which gives extra material stresses around the holes with high temp changes, making them less strong.
Regarding the crack pics above: on the drilled disc that I had, the crack ran through all the holes from the center to the edge of the disc. This could possibly have broken in pieces if I hadn't noticed in time, quite dangerous.
Have seen pics of what can happen if part of the disc comes off at high speed, not a nice sight, lots of damage..

Hi,

I installed RB 2 piece slotted rotors in 97+ sizes all arround with Project Mu LevelMAX 900i pads, and i couldn't be happier. Sometimes the slight touch on the brake pedal seems to throw me through the windshield :tongue:

The downside is that these pads dust like there is no tomorrow :biggrin:

Thanks,
Nuno

PS - will post all this upgrade, detailled with photos, in my build thread soon :wink:

Back