• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake rotors

Planning to change my rotors and pads soon and I was wondering if anyone know any good places to buy good rotors at a reasonable price. I called the dealer and they quotes me $191.78 each for the front and $223.12 each for the rear. That to me is outrageous. I don't mind if its a little expensive because I used to buy cheap rotors and the squeak drove me crazy. I'm also thinking of getting slotted, drilled or just blank rotors. Any opinions on those? Heard all kinds of stories about each one of them. Thanks in advance :)

i got these and have been happy with them-no squeaking
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ce_parts/NSX/Centric/SportStop_Cross_Drilled/

i did the drilled mostly for appearance,they're not as good if you will extensively track the car,although the holes are chamfered (angled) at their edges,which makes them less likely to crack than poorly-drilled holes.they're high quality and work great with new oem pads,less than 1/3 the cost of oem rotors.

Last edited:
i got these and have been happy with them-no squeaking
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ce_parts/NSX/Centric/SportStop_Cross_Drilled/

i did the drilled mostly for appearance,they're not as good if you will extensively track the car,although the holes are chamfered (angled) at their edges,which makes them less likely to crack than poorly-drilled holes.they're high quality and work great with new oem pads,less than 1/3 the cost of oem rotors.

That's what I hear people say too. Drilled have less surface to grab onto and so they don't brake as well

I personally go for function before anything else.

That being said, when the time comes, I'm going to go with Stoptech 2-piece OEM size rotors.

The 2-piece rotors are

• about 3 lbs. lighter than stock (biggest bonus for me)
  • slotted, which for an aftermarket replacement rotor is the better of the 2 choices (vs. cross-drilled)
  • costs about the same as the OEM replacement from Acura

That's what I hear people say too. Drilled have less surface to grab onto and so they don't brake as well

to me they brake as well or better.this article,which does cite an sae paper,says drilled are rec'd for street driving over slotted-.http://www.brakeoverstock.com/home/tech/1
people on here have said you'll never crack them if you just drive on the street

sos also has slotted and plain rotors at a good price-

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/braking_performance_parts/NSX/Centric/Power_Slot/

Thanks for the plug Adrian,

To go a little further we have used Stoptech slotted
on all of our track cars with solid results. I really think the HP+/stoptech combo
is great for for the track junkie that needs something he can use on the road. i.e
works in a large temp range.

Check the "parts for sale" forum for some 2-piece rotors and a list of their benefits ;) Weight reduction is a huge benefit, that is why 2-piece rotors cost much more (and they are way more expensive to make)

You can find stock brake rotors discounted to around $140 front, $165 rear, from places like this guy:

If you want aftermarket rotors, the Tire Rack has NSX fitments from Brembo, Stoptech, and Powerslot, at prices ranging from $50 to $94 per rotor.

You can find stock brake rotors discounted to around $140 front, $165 rear, from places like this guy:

If you want aftermarket rotors, the Tire Rack has NSX fitments from Brembo, Stoptech, and Powerslot, at prices ranging from $50 to $94 per rotor.

???

Even the cheapest OEM equivalent at Tire Rack (Centric) is $248/pair for fronts and $243/pair rears.

The weird thing is that right front Powerslot is $290 while left front is $199.

Back when I was researching brakes for my CL (Type-S) I came to the conclusion that slotted rotors did you some good and that drilling them was a waste of time and money. I chose EBC rotors for that car and if I'm not mistaken the NSX (N1) uses the same rotors. I went with RedStuff pads on that car but I will probably back down to the GreenStuff when I buy the NSX and do its brakes. What I have found is that even with the RedStuff, which are basically hot street pads, the braking coefficient goes way up when they get hot, which mostly they are not on the street. So for more consistent braking action I'd prefer the slightly less efficient brakes. By the way, the combination will haul down the 3500 pound coupe like you tossed out an anchor. I would be more than comfortable recommending the EBC products for street use. Oh, one more thing, there there are two different grades of cast iron that appear to be used most frequently with rotors and while I don't recall which is which I do recall that EBC uses the more desirable grade and that they also do all of their own casting and machining in house for quality control.

Why are the rear rotors more expensive??
Front rotors are replaced more often thus supply and demand.
AND rear rotors are more expensive to cast due to there offset.

Anyway I always recommended slotted to my customers.
Although I run drilled on my daily for test purposes and those haven't cracked.

But I've personally seen a lot of drilled rotors crack, even Brembo & StopTech.

I thought supply and demand as in everyone who's able replaces the crappy front rotors :)

Everyone ignores the rears but 2 piece rear rotors should improve acceleration on rwd cars.

???

Even the cheapest OEM equivalent at Tire Rack (Centric) is $248/pair for fronts and $243/pair rears.

The weird thing is that right front Powerslot is $290 while left front is $199.
Nope. You're referring to rotors for the later NSX years. His is a 1995. When you look up brakes for a 1995 NSX on the Tire Rack website, it shows the following prices per rotor:

Brembo $70F
Stoptech $51F $50R
Powerslot $64F $63R
Powerslot cryo-treated $94F $92R

Click here and you'll be looking at the same thing I was.

A fellow owner suggested RockAuto.com to me for generic Centric rotors. For a 1995 NSX it would be low $20s for each rotor. When I toss a full front/rear set in the cart and give it my zip code, total is $105.06 after shipping.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1000887,parttype,1896

Related question:
The goo that is on rotors, suggestions on best means to remove before installation?

Last edited:
A fellow owner suggested RockAuto.com to me for generic Centric rotors. For a 1995 NSX it would be low $20s for each rotor. When I toss a full front/rear set in the cart and give it my zip code, total is $105.06 after shipping.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1000887,parttype,1896

Related question:
The goo that is on rotors, suggestions on best means to remove before installation?

That was me. :D I track on these rotors with no issues. For a no frills solution that works, you can't do any better.

Back