• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brembo big big brakes

I finally have my 14” Brembos almost complete. My X has been sitting on jackstands for so long I may have forgotten how to use a clutch pedal. I figure if I can’t drive it yet, I can at least make it look fast. Bling Bling Alert!

There was a lot of custom work involved: titanium adapters, 38mm aluminum spacers, special order bolts. At some point I’ll write a tutorial and include the drawings for the custom parts. I still need to complete the bracket for the e-brake, but I’m almost finished. The disc may look small. But that’s an 18” wheel. After many thousands of dollars.........................

Attachments

• front wheel.jpg
    front wheel.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 5,606
Here's another view.

Attachments

• rear brake.jpg
    rear brake.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,610
My god! Should be able to out-brake the Carrera GT now, LOL!:D That is a simply beautiful setup--Brembo always makes an aesthetically pleasing BBK.

Good job

ravi

Last edited:
wowz...

hmmm... nice stuff Ralph! I hope that you'll have your NSX ready for the next meet; I'm really looking fwd' to seeing a blue 'X and being a wide-body makes the anticipation all that much more. :)

PorknBeanz
That looks great!
All I want for Christmas is a BBK. :D
What kind of wide body are you going to install?
Keep the pics comming.
Brian.

Yes, this is a 18x8 and 19x10 setup. The offsets are 38mm front 42mm rear. I used Brembo F-50 calipers which are huge. I needed 33mm spacers up front and 38mm spacers in the rear to clear the calipers. These had to be designed and custom made. It looks like the Comptech Widebody will fit fine with the extended wheels.

The 14'' discs are 16.2lbs each compared to 14.0lbs for the OEM discs. The F-50 calipers are 9.2lbs compared to the 14.0lb OEM calipers, so there is a weight savings of 2.6lbs of unsprung weight at each wheel, or 10.4lbs total. But I think the Racing Hart wheels and bigger tires greatly off set the beneficial brake weight savings.

Attachments

• finished brembo2.jpg
    finished brembo2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,415
Last edited:
Here's a photo of the spacers...

Attachments

• wheel spacers.jpg
    wheel spacers.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,292
I for one can not wait to see the finished product. I had plans to do exactly what you are doing with your blue NSX. Widebody and Brembo but my budget was a little restrictive.

:mad:

Tan

What car did these calipers come off off. I figure with 38mm spacer you will need 76mm wheel offset to get it in the right place. How are you going to do that so you clear the fender or not rub aft of the wheel at full turn. What p-brake are you using. Will your rotor float. I can appreciate all the work that went into this. Thanks, Dan

Since the calipers are F-50, I'm not sure what other car uses them besides the F-50. The hats are custom and they float the same as regular Brembo discs. The wheel offsets are 38mm front and 42mm rear. I'm using the Comptech Widebody so it looks like it will come out OK on the fender clearance.

For the p-brake I'm using single piston Wilwood 120-2280. They're $120 for a pair and that's a lot less than the $1,000 for the Brembo solution, although I'll do still need to make up custom brackets. I've been using that Wilwood series on my Fiero for the p-brake and they seem to work well. Here's a photo of the Wilwood p-brake:

Attachments

• wilwood caliper.jpg
    wilwood caliper.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 915
BlKeViL: I tried twice to respond to your email, but I got an error message saying: Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable.

I only have the driver side rear panel, the hood, and the rocker panels left. I'm planning to list the driver side rear panel on Prime in the next couple of weeks for $600. All these parts are Monaco Blue Pearl.

F-50 calipers!!!! There is somthing you don't find often. Brembo uses the same casting for a lot of high end cars but changes the piston dia and location to match the individual ballance of different cars. Weight distrubution for the NSX and F-50 should be close so you might not have any bias problems, unlike my 933TT brakes. It was solved at first with a turn type bias valve and finally using different pad compounds. The Brembo P-brake caliper is a work of art and I found one that that had a NSX bracket (thanks to MJ). An emerjency stop would be simular to a supertanker panic stop. But it works, looks good and is self adjusting. As far as unsprung weight. When you dump the pig iron NSX calipers and add the Brembo brakes, it came out the same weight. Your 14" rotors might be a little heavier. Moving the wheel out 38mm might give you handling issues. My street wheels are 16mm further out and the track wheels have a 55mm offset so that puts it back close to OE. It was a real shoe horn job to get a 16" wheel and a 245 wide tire in there and not rub. I can send a picture if you want. Dan

I have the smaller Brembo solution (322 mm front, 330 mm rear) and I can tell you: Even with these tiny brakes the tires are the limit. You can even overstress race slicks with a slight touch on the pedal. Results in more than 13 square-m/s negative acceleration - not really dangerous for your eyes but for your stomach.

Dan, yes I'd like to see your brakes. Do you have photos of the Brembo p-brake?

For those too lazy to convert, 13m/s squared is about 1.3G. Impressive!

The forums will not let me re-post the pictures. You can run a search for (ZMI brake set up) or tunapies brakes. If that does not work I can PM them to you. I have some more NSX caliper stickers if you need them. Dan

i once had these F50 brake too

HI all,

i once had these Brembo 14" F50 brake too.. for my Supra TT, they are sweet~~! but, i sold them for part of my NSX fund..

it will be interesting to see how much it would improve brake distance for street and track.. Can you please update us on this?

but, these big brake are sweet though. If i have that much money, i would love to own one of these set too..

-jjc.

PorknBeanz said:
Dan, yes I'd like to see your brakes. Do you have photos of the Brembo p-brake?

For those too lazy to convert, 13m/s squared is about 1.3G. Impressive!
Here's one showing the e-brake if that's what you mean by p-brake. Sorry, the wheel is dirty!

Attachments

• workrezaxroar4s.jpg
    workrezaxroar4s.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 610
Back