• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brembo vs. PCCB

My basic question is, which is better? Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) are half the weight of gray cast iron, equating to a savings of 36.3lbs. The pistons feature a ceramic heat shield said to be 2.5 times more effective than F1 titanium shields. Porsche is so confident in the PCCB that it endorses a 187,000 service life for the discs. I remember reading somewhere that on Porsche this PCCB is around a $10,000 option. Is this the best braking system around for $10,000 or can $10,000 buy a better braking system from Brembo or other type of high performence brake manufacturer? Any additional information people might have on brakes would be appreciated. I'm currently in the market for some new discs and pads. Though I doubt the ease of aquiring PCCB for use in other cars it sounds interesting. Any brakes out there that equal or surpass PCCB that is available for purchase?

Sorry if this subject has been talked about already but I'm relatively new to the message boards and probably missed any earlier discussions.

we have discussed different NSX specific brakes before, but not the ceramic stuff, so this is likely a welcome and timely topic. there is no doubt based on what I have read that the ceramic brakes are far superior in heat dissipation and durability. If I am not mistaken, this system was designed with Brembo, but I am not positive on that one. At this point, there are no ceramic aftermarket options for the NSX.

Do you know if Porsche would offer just the PCCB to those interested? or does Porsche not sell individual parts to non-Porsche owners? lol, it'd be a damn shame to purchase a Porsche just to strip it of its brakes.

Porsche has always been the leader in brakes development. The Big Red (993 TT) brakes are so popular because of it's durability and performance, they are popular application in almost every car. The new 996 TT caliper is an improvement to the big red, as they are 1 piece.

Brembo does the manufacturing for Porsche, but if I remember correctly, Porsche did all the development and design (I forgot where I read about this). Same thing with the new ceramic rotors.

The life span and weight advantage is great. And the durability of it makes it the perfect brakes for performance street driven car. It doesn't perform as well as Carbon brakes like the F1 uses, but the Carbon brakes lifespan is so short, it is not ideal for street use.

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 13 September 2001).]

carbon rotors and brake pads ARE coming to your local go-fast store. It's just a matter of time. ATS in Japan already has carbon rotors and pads for the GTR, but the cost is prohibitive, and the result is still up in the air. But I would guess in no more than 5 years, it will be the most popular material for brake rotors and pads in all types of cars.

------------------
George Wang
Keep it Real!
http://www.geocities.com/maomaonsx/price.html

http://www.us.porsche.com/english/911/gt2/safety/pccb.htm

Uncompromising technology for the toughest road conditions.

The Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake.
At Porsche, we're committed to developing the very best in performance engineering. An integral part of that concept is brake technology. Which is why the new 911 GT2 comes with the most effective braking system ever featured on a production Porsche: the Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB*) - a powerful new technology designed to cope with even the most extreme conditions on racetrack and road.
At the heart of the new technology is a ceramic brake disc made of specially treated carbon fiber silicated in a high-vacuum process at approximately 1,700º C. The PCCB disc is cross-drilled and internally vented, and is approximately 50% lighter than conventional alternatives. Since this weight is unsprung, i.e., not supported by the suspension, PCCB automatically improves agility and handling.

Another feature of the system is the innovative new composite brake pad, which combines with the ceramic disc to deliver extremely high and constant levels of friction under braking. By replacing conventional metal components with composite pads and discs, temperature is no longer a factor in brake performance. This configuration not only helps minimise braking distances — particularly under heavy use — it also ensures safer deceleration from high speed as well as optimum resistance to brake fade.

In an emergency stop, PCCB immediately delivers maximum stopping power to the road. Abrasion is extremly low compared with metal discs, with each PCCB disc offering an extraordinarily long service life. The new composite brake pads also last around twice as long as conventional ones. What's more, the new PCCB pads do not absorb water, making for outstanding performance in the wet.

Back