• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brembo vs Stoptech

Which performs better on our cars.
I know that Stoptech has proven performance on
NSXs. But Brembo has been around for a long time,
and it has proven performance on pretty much all
performance cars....

Jon

NYC01 said:
For street use, neither one will stop the car any faster than the tires. For track use, that will still be true, at least until the brakes get hot enough to fade (and for all I know, either system may avoid fade entirely). Besides, I doubt you would be able to find a controlled test comparing both systems on the same car (or identical cars) on the same track with the same driver on the same day.

IMO, you paid a little less for Stoptech than the Brembo setup. But ended up getting more with Stoptech since a lot of money went into its brand name with brembo... however we all know that the Stoptech guys does carefully R&D for specific models.

I believed the brembo kit is basically a F40/ F50 calipers and then put different size rotors to call it a kit... Also the Xdrilled rotors are not as effective as the slotted... Stoptech kit does have crossdrilled avail. if you insist.

I believed the owners of the AchTuning who specialized on modifying Audi/VW in my local area had both system on their cars, and they are much more impressed on the track performance, rotor longetivity on StopTech... I saw both brakes taken out from two different cars that went to identical track sessions. The Brembo one doesn't even look too good, hairline cracks all over the rotor...

NSXDreamer2 said:

I believed the brembo kit is basically a F40/ F50 calipers and then put different size rotors to call it a kit...

Brembo does not use the F40/F50 kit on the NSX...they use the Lotus Caliper instead (same calipers they use on the Civic BBK's)

Allen

NYC01 said:
I know that Stoptech has proven performance on
NSXs. But Brembo has been around for a long time,
and it has proven performance on pretty much all
performance cars....

Jon

Here are a few guys who use Stoptech.

http://stoptech.com/race_cars.htm

Rim fitment is easier with Brembo if you are looking to avoid spacers.

NSXDreamer2 said:
I saw both brakes taken out from two different cars that went to identical track sessions. The Brembo one doesn't even look too good, hairline cracks all over the rotor...

I'm sure any drilled rotors could crack, but I have seen Brembo rotors crack on a 355 Challenge car that I got to ride in last fall. The rotors looked plenty thick and the cracks occurred between the holes. BTW, those rotors were from a 333SP :eek:

NSXDreamer2 said:
I believed the brembo kit is basically a F40/ F50 calipers and then put different size rotors to call it a kit... Also the Xdrilled rotors are not as effective as the slotted... Stoptech kit does have crossdrilled avail. if you insist.

Brembo, AP, and Stoptech all make a few series of caliper. Then they mate it with whatever rotor size they use. Standard practice.

Has anyone by chance got a hold of the new car and driver quarterly called Boost? In there they have a whole write up on big brake kits and some interesting theories on the performance of such kits. Anyone have a personal take on the article? I learned to really research this if I decide to go the none oem route. To the point of instead of doing just fronts to do an all around big brake set up.

You are right. The NSX is one of very few cars that a rear BBK is worth the $$. Most front engine cars at threshold braking have very little weight on the rear tires, thus rear brakes will easily lock, and do little to actually slow the car. i.e. with my integra bought new in 1998, I went through about 20 sets of front pads with a BBK due to track use, and my wear bars on the original OEM rear pads just started to squeak in 2003 when I sold the car.

The NSX has extra weight in the rear such as the motor, tranny, and differential, so under heavy braking, some of this weight is transfered to the front, but much remains over the rear axle.

NSX's with front only BBK's generally lock-up, or kick in the ABS real easy, so good track tires are almost a must on the track with a front only setup. Hope this helps.

I've spoken to the owners of StopTech in a fairly indepth conversion about their calipers compared to Brembos. Their main target is Brembo since they hold most of the aftermarket market share (and also since they own AP). They claim their calipers have the least amount of flex of any readily-available "kit" caliper (meaning the Lotus, F40, and F50 calipers used by Brembo). They don't say it, but you can pull out that they're not comparing their calipers to the race-only ones available for racing, even tho they do claim their calipers have less flex than the monoblocs used for racing. I don't think many ppl on this board aside from Andrie and a few others would really be able to tell the difference in flex/modulation and effectiveness of either setup on the track (and no one on the street). I personally love the new Alcon monoblocs...mmm...yummy, but those are harder to get and don't usually come in kit form.

This post is now moot

Our new friend Jon is already moving on, no Stoptech vs Brembo for him, he's joining the F-crowd, I hope he still stays in touch with his new "friends" and shows up at a few events to let us admire his new ride. I wish him the best of luck in his soon to be "new" ride, and hope that he has many miles of smiles!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back