• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bridgestone Potenza failure

I just had the left rear tire fail in an unusual way. The inside sidewall has multiple bulges right along the treadline. It still holds air but suddenly started to shake. Tire is about a year old with 85% tread left. Any idea what the cause could be other than just a defective tire? I don't want to replace it and discover there's some other problem. There's no obvious play or alignment problem in the suspension. Thanks for the help. Where's a good place to get a replacement. Do I need to do both rears? RE101 HO 245/40Z17 on stock 7 spoke rims.

I'd start with my local Bridgestone distributor. Unless he convinced me it was an ISOLATED failure, I'd demand both tires. Had you been tracking your tire inflation? Good luck.

How much tire pressure were you running?

I had an experience before where I was running low air pressure on the OEM tire without knowing for 30-40 miles and it caused a tear inside of the tire like you are talking about. I think this was due to the fact that the OEM tire side wall is extremely stiff and even if the tire runs with low pressure, the side wall will stay up while the tread would collapse.

You can buy the tire from www.tirerack.com

Back