• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bridgestone question

I've only had my 91 beauty of an NSX for about 3 months and have completely worn through a new rear set of RE010 in just 3K miles! The guy I bought it from told me that there was -2 degrees of camber so I understand why the insides are bald. The front 010 are wearing fine and the car handles great with very minimal loss of traction at speed.

Option 1: Has anybody heard of or used Bridgestone Potenza RE730 or an RE750? Bridgestone's web site was useless.

Option 2: Should I just suck it up, buy the 010, and just have the alignment done. I read the FAQ page on this problem but not knowing personally what the car was set at might make changing the alignment iffy.

Help guys!! The nice days are ticking by and my baby is sitting!!
Thanks.:cool:

Option 1 answer: go to Tirerack.com and check out their description and reviews of the tire in quesiton. It's very helpful.
Option 2 answer: I'd stick with the great handling and just suck it up but that's me. You have to decide what is more important to you: Great Handling vs. Tire Wear (money out your pocket). If great handling get the RE010. If tire wear then get the alignment and get some Kumho MXs or something.

PS - I have some Nitto 450's with over 20,000 miles (2.5 neg camber up front and 2.0 neg camber in back) that I can't grenade. You're more than welcome to those, just pay shipping.;)

gjsabot said:
I've only had my 91 beauty of an NSX for about 3 months and have completely worn through a new rear set of RE010 in just 3K miles! The guy I bought it from told me that there was -2 degrees of camber so I understand why the insides are bald. The front 010 are wearing fine and the car handles great with very minimal loss of traction at speed.

Option 1: Has anybody heard of or used Bridgestone Potenza RE730 or an RE750? Bridgestone's web site was useless.

Option 2: Should I just suck it up, buy the 010, and just have the alignment done. I read the FAQ page on this problem but not knowing personally what the car was set at might make changing the alignment iffy.

Help guys!! The nice days are ticking by and my baby is sitting!!
Thanks.:cool:

I just had the RE750's installed on the rear yesterday. I have a long commute and don't track the car at all so it just made sense to have a longer lasting tire on it. The car seems to ride fine with the new rears. Prior to the RE750's i had aggressive yoko's on it.

I have RE-750's on (one of) my spare 15/16 setups and really like them. Not as fun as SO3's, but will give you longer life.

I don't know why your car was aligned with so much negative camber in the rear. Okay, technically the car is within spec (spec is 1.5 degrees plus or minus .5 degree) but it's borderline and in the wrong direction. I would recommend having the car re-aligned regardless of what kind of tire you decide to get. And in that regard, Ponyboy put it nicely:

Ponyboy said:
You have to decide what is more important to you: Great Handling vs. Tire Wear

However, since you still have plenty of tread on the front, and it's a bad idea to mix tires front vs rear (particularly when one end is sticky and the other end is crappy), I would suggest getting the alignment, and putting another set of RE010 on the rear. This way you can keep using your front tires, which you say are still fine. When the rears wear out next time (or the time after) and the front tires also need replacement, that's the time to decide whether you want to switch to a longer-life tire or get another set of sticky great-handling tires - when you need to buy a set of four, not now while your fronts still have plenty of tread.

Getting the alignment along with another set of RE010 will also tell you how long the RE010 will last with alignment settings closer to the middle of the recommended range (or even at the low end).

i have the dunlop sp9k on my car right now and am thinking about going to the re750. Anyone know if the re750 is better?

Hello! Mason from The Tire Rack here! I ran the RE730 on my 1991 NSX for a couple of years and they wore very well. I went from replacing my rear OEM Yoko's every oil change, to actually getting some significant mileage (of course, I did sacrifice some grip for that). It al depends on if you want maximum grip, or just to cruise. If you need any assistance, call me, or email me at [email protected] for help. Thank you! Congrats on the new NSX! :D

My situation is totally different, my front RE010s wore out way faster than the rear with around 10k miles on them. I suppose you've done a lot of hard straight line acceleration where mine's mainly hard cornering which most of my fronts wear out around the inside wall. For your type of driving, I'd think it's best to slap on another RE010 on the rear cuz by the time they wear out, the life on the fronts should be approaching its end as well. By then, change your whole set to S-03 or something else that last longer. I personally don't like mixing tires but then again, it's just me.

NsxJoy said:
my front RE010s wore out way faster than the rear with around 10k miles on them. I suppose you've done a lot of hard straight line acceleration where mine's mainly hard cornering which most of my fronts wear out around the inside wall.

No, it's quite the opposite. On the NSX, when the fronts wear out around the inside edge of the tread, it means that you are not cornering hard enough. That is common among NSX drivers who do a lot of highway driving. Those who do a lot of hard cornering tend to find that the front tires wear very evenly.

NsxJoy said:
For your type of driving, I'd think it's best to slap on another RE010 on the rear cuz by the time they wear out, the life on the fronts should be approaching its end as well. By then, change your whole set to S-03 or something else that last longer.

I think this is good advice.

NsxJoy said:
I personally don't like mixing tires but then again, it's just me.

Actually, it's not just you. Most knowledgeable tire folks say that mixing tires is usually a bad idea, because it makes the handling unpredictable.

nsxtasy said:
No, it's quite the opposite. On the NSX, when the fronts wear out around the inside edge of the tread, it means that you are not cornering hard enough. That is common among NSX drivers who do a lot of highway driving. Those who do a lot of hard cornering tend to find that the front tires wear very evenly.

I see. It is very true that I do way lot more highway driving than hard cornering, that explains it. Thanx.

In this case, the life span on the RE010 is rather short, isn't it? Reminds me of the S-02 :eek:

EDIT: I've just realized my "good advice" has already been mentioned by Ken before, DUH :p

NsxJoy said:
In this case, the life span on the RE010 is rather short, isn't it? Reminds me of the S-02 :eek:

Yes, the OEM tires (Bridgestone RE010 and Yokohama A022) are known for their great handling, not for longevity...

Ponyboy said:
You have to decide what is more important to you: Great Handling vs. Tire Wear (money out your pocket). If great handling get the RE010. If tire wear then get the alignment and get some Kumho MXs or something.

and if you want both, then get a Michelin set.

Good Wear, Cheap price and Great Handling. Pick two out of three !

Back