• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bring two trailers

What prompted the sale of the '05 to get an '01 with similar mileage?

Well......... I've always preferred the popup lights, and in 2020 I was looking for a 1997-2001 silver/black targa with maybe 60k miles or less, and in great shape. (I usually only buy cars with 30k miles or less, but since it's a Honda, more would have been fine.)

I wasn't ready when this car appeared on BaT and sold for about $70k, but that probably would have been a good fit. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-acura-nsx-12/

Then a friend connected me to Neal W., who helped me evaluate BaT listings, and also convinced me to look for a 2000 or newer.

Then I posted a WTB here on Prime and the unbelievable 2005 instantly popped up. Neal knew of the car, and I instantly agreed to the seller's asking price, then went and picked it up in my van and enclosed trailer.

The car was literally like brand new. I had a shop do PPF and ceramic, and had Source 1 (conveniently 20 minutes from my house) do some preventative maintenance- fluid changes and replace all 25 hoses, etc.

My plan was to drive it, but....... I couldn't stop worrying about how normal driving and a ding or two could easily drop the value by big bucks. And the values for sub-20k mile cars kept going up- if I took it from 15K to 20k miles, that alone could drop the value $30k or maybe $40k!

So with the values up, I decided to sell it, and worked very hard to present it on BaT. Worked out well.

When I was taking the hundreds of photos for the listing, I kept trying to find the perfect beauty angle to show off the car, and realized again that I really do not love the looks of the fixed headlight cars.

So I thought I'd keep an eye out for a 2000-2001. Again, silver/black only.

I never thought one would pop up so fast, and I never thought that my bid would win the auction.

Hopefully this one will get driven more!

My plan was to drive it, but....... I couldn't stop worrying about how normal driving and a ding or two could easily drop the value by big bucks. And the values for sub-20k mile cars kept going up- if I took it from 15K to 20k miles, that alone could drop the value $30k or maybe $40k!
Wow!

Thanks for taking the time to lay all that out. As someone who owned one on the other end of the mileage and age spectrum it's wild to see what even 5k can do to the value of the very low mileage cars.

Glad you were able to get back in one so quickly and found such a good fit!

Welcome back; I had barely realized you left.

Now fix that profile pic please - pair o' proper pop-ups pronto!

Last edited:
Congrats. I prefer the pop-ups so NA2 97-01 is my sweet spot. I would have done the same as you and pocket the extra money.

@centerpunch I'm so happy to see this- you're a big part of the community here! I'm quite partial to the 97-01 cars myself. I was a big 02+ fan in my younger days but now that I'm old, nostalgia has captured me and I'm firmly in camp pop-up. :D

I’m glad I never pulled the trigger on the 02 front end swap. I did the side skirts and rear valence but I definitely prefer the classic look of the pop ups.

Congratulations on the new ride looks like a really clean example too.

I'm a "fan of the NSX". When I first saw one at the dealership (1991) where I had my Legend Coupe, I knew I'd own one, one day. That day was in 02, and I leased my "frog eyes" 02, extended the lease, as I didn't want to turn it in and then 6 months later, bought it off the lease. Frog eyes, or pop-ups, still beautiful 20+ years later. I know what good taste Centerpunch has, he's also a GT owner!!! Glad you're back!!!!

I know what good taste Centerpunch has, he's also a GT owner!!! Glad you're back!!!!
I’m excited to get an NSX that I‘m not worried about driving- should be here in a day or two.

Regarding the Ford GT, although I’ve had two, I was definitely NEVER comfortable driving that car- too wide, too expensive, too attention-getting (and those doors are terrible). Great cars, but not for me.

I’m excited to get an NSX that I‘m not worried about driving- should be here in a day or two.

Regarding the Ford GT, although I’ve had two, I was definitely NEVER comfortable driving that car- too wide, too expensive, too attention-getting (and those doors are terrible). Great cars, but not for me.
The doors are difficult, but great for when doing the LeMans start. It is wide, with a nasty blind spot, and you're definitely getting lots of attention, but the driving experience, makes it all worth it. Like the NSX, beautiful to look at, and enjoyable to drive!

@centerpunch

Too great of a car and community to stay away. I actually prefer the facelifted 2002+ cars but like the 3.2/fixed roof combo.

Back