• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Broken Lug Nuts

Yep... today I was removing all my wheels so I adjust my suspension and 2 of the lug nuts broke off on the driver side rear wheel! The 2 lug nuts felt like they were seized of and as I turned the wrench...SNAP! I couldn't believe it! Then I went to the next one....SNAP! A few choice words followed. I don't know if I should talk to the tire shop of just take it to the dealer and have them replaced.

Anyone even have this happen? Is it difficult to replace them?

I showed my neighbor and he gave me some anti-seize to put on the lug nuts. What are your thoughts on using it?

Thanks....

I seem to recall a very recent thread about lug replacement. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.
(I'm not very busy tonight :redface:)

Thanks! I think I will try to remove them myself and see how it goes.

I would NOT use anti-seize on lug nuts.
You can over torque with anti-seize.

Later,
Don

+1 anti-sieze will make it easier to apply too much torque

The problem is not the lug nuts.... it's the studs. I have snapped several ARP studs on the track. In your case, if they snapped while trying to remove the nuts then the problem is probably they were overtighened at one point (air gun) stretching the studs.

If in fact this is due to overtorque, ala monster air gun, I would suspect ALL the studs, 20 total.

I also noticed in your avatar you have aftermarket wheels. Do you have spacers for the wheels? How many turns do you get when installing any lug nut before it gets tight. You must have a minumum of 4 complete turns.

HTH,
LarryB

Last edited:
Back