• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"brush-up" on your titanium key

Simple, easy way to renew the look of your titanium key

If you have a Titanium key, you're carrying around a key that's a good 12 - 17 years old. Over time, the key's shine, or finish dulls and being that I regularly use a dremel for projects here and there, I recently brushed up several keys to clean them up (get rid of grime in the channels on the blade and light scratches on the bow) and when I was ready, saved the NSX titanium key for last.

Here's my results but before I get to that, I'll mention that the factory metal key is technically only a "titanium look" and is really a composite alloy of 70% nickel and 30% copper, hence, why it is so heavy opposed to if it was real titanium. So with that said, brushing it up with a dremel about once a year or so is not a big deal and you can get a great finish to the point where it just about looks brand new again!

There are typically 3 types of brushes with any dremel tool kit or chicago tool kit, stainless, brass and nylon. The nylon doesn't do much so I will describe the results of the remaining two.

Shiny Finish
If you want the key to have a shiny metallic finish, use a stainless brush. You can use an axial or radial brush (see pics) at medium to high speed and simply go over the entire key.

Matte Finish
If you want the key to have a nice matte finish, use a brass brush. You can use an axial or radial brush (see pics) at medium to high speed and simply go over the entire key.

Just for clarity, the stainless brush looks like steel wire and the brass looks like yellow wire. I tried both in separate sections and really liked the matte finish so I went with the brass brush and it came out really nice. The good news is you can't mess up. Just polish/brush until you like it.

Enjoy your new key!

Attachments

• a.jpeg
    a.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 98
  • b.jpeg
    b.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 78
Unfortunately I don't (and it's obviously already done). It just didn't dawn on me at the time that it could be beneficial to have before and after pics for this little do-it-yourself project. :frown: When I get the chance, I can at least post the "after" pic.

I forgot to mention that if you go straight to the brass brush, you might not even notice any change at all on the key. It will definitely clean out any grime in the blade channels, but brass is designed to be much gentler than the stainless. It doesn't hurt to buff the whole key with the stainless first anyway so the matte finish will be more prevalent. I did it this way for my matte finish when I noticed how much better the matte looked when it went over where the stainless had been in the test spot. See attached. I didn't use flash, I just tried to get as much natural light from the windows as possible.

Attachments

• key1.jpg
    key1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 269
  • key2.jpg
    key2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
novelty...

Why are these called titanium? I have one and have serious doubts that it's real titanium. It's quite heavy.
I've never heard by anyone that they were actually made of titanium. I've heard "titanium-looking", etc'.

Even the original poster iterated such...
vf2ss said:
... I'll mention that the factory metal key is technically only a "titanium look" and is really a composite alloy of 70% nickel and 30% copper, hence, why it is so heavy opposed to if it was real titanium

The alloy is known as monel, though many in the past have also dubbed it as unobtanium! :D

Not ever owning a new NSX, red 91', current blk 91', just wondered what new oem key finish was. Matte,satin,high polish,other? John

This is quoted from...

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/nsxkeys.htm

"[VB - 2001/11/2] Most have a dull flat matte finish to them. Mine was that way too. Well, I took some Blue Magic metal polish to the key a few times and it produced a very lustrous shiny finish. The polish is silicone based and leaves a silicone coating over it to maintain the luster. After three years, it's still shiny. Two pictures appear of my key sitting in a custom NSX glass that my sister made for me."

Keys look nice, though the letters NSX is red factory.

Very welcome thread...

Actually, I have had MY 'titanium' key for just ONE WEEK :biggrin:
Bought it from Science of Speed when they had some in last month. Paid a hefty import fee for it as well :rolleyes:

Naturally mine is spanking new, but I was already thinking of upgrading its looks by giving it a nice brush-up wish a little polish.

No. Because not all keys are like this alloy, Monel. Most keys (probably 90% or higher) have a brass base (because it is easy to cut and maintain its integrity) with a metal coating. I believe our Titanium-like keys require a special high end cutter. Anyway, you've probably noticed on older keys on your ring, such as a house key, that over time and use, the metal coating begins to rub off and expose the brass. I've personally used the brass brush to clean out the grime on these without affecting the metal coating, and as mentioned earlier, brass is much gentler, designed not to scratch so it's not like you will be stripping away the metal coating! The best thing to do would be to experiment on an old key you don't care much for and see what you think. And in regards to if you have a specific key in mind to do this with, it would be good to find out what it is made of first.

I just received mine today and noticed its more of a bronze / brass color... I'd rather it be a silvery color... it also has the NSX in red rather than just same color as the key in the above pics.

I might borrow my friends dremel tool to buff it up but i've had some luck with just a rag and some Weiman Metal Polish.... lots of black gunk on my rag... to my amazement! The key is a little cleaner but it could be a bit better I'm sure :)

Back