• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Burning smell after driving

Hope this is the proper place to pose this question.

I have never owned a car with a stainless steel exhaust system before and would like to find out whether or not it is normal to encounter a slight "metal burning" type smell after driving for a while (ten miles or so). It doesn't smell like oil burning and I don't have any oil leaks that would drip onto the exhaust. It is not noticeable enough to smell it in the car but I do smell it whenever a get out of the car after driving some distance. This is normal driving and not working the clutch hard. The smell last for a while, maybe 20-30 minutes.

Does anyone have any ideas or encounter the same smell with an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust? I have a Comptech system but it shouldn't matter.

Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Last edited:
Hmmm ...
Q1 - is the exhaust new?
Q1.5 - is this new/different, or the same since you've owned the car?
Q2 - are you sure the smell is coming from the exhaust?

Hmmmmm could the smell be clutch disc?

I've only had the car for a couple of months, however, the exhaust system is NOT new. I've noticed the smell ever since I got it. The car has 38k miles and hasn't been driven hard. The clutch feels as good as it could possibly feel so that kind of leads me to believe that it is not the clutch. The smell doesn't seem like a clutch/brake material sorta smell, but more of a hot metal kind of smell. It is strongest by the engine/rear wheel well area.

I just thought that might be something that everyone with an aftermarket exhaust encounters because of the stainless steel material. However, if no one else has that smell then I guess I need to look more seriously into other areas.

I ran over a plastic bag and it stuck to my muffler... and started to smoke... I thought my engine was about to catch on fire! So thank God it was only that.... but it smelled so bad for about 3 weeks after it all burned off..... :eek::redface:

Hope this is the proper place to pose this question.

I have never owned a car with a stainless steel exhaust system before and would like to find out whether or not it is normal to encounter a slight "metal burning" type smell after driving for a while (ten miles or so). ...

Doing the headers on my '00 right now, and have a similar issue my car has low miles on it 20k. As it turns out there is a slight leak at the valve cover gasket, and cam plugs & its not making it to the ground. You can't see it from the top of the engine, but with the headers removed I can see it pretty clearly. With the engine cold try running your finger along the edge of the valve cover & the around the bottom of the cam plugs see if you have something similar going on? I'm not talking a massive drip more of a very small amount a trickle of oil is making it down on to EGR/Manifold piping and burning. My old '91 had oil leaking from the spool valves, valve cover & cam plugs, and funny thing never really noticed a smell from that car, only small drops in my garage go figure! :rolleyes:

If no oil leak, then maybe your exhaust is still new and when it heats up starts smelling a bit, it should go away in due time. My exhaust is almost 3 yrs old and after driving for an hour or so it still has a slight burning smell to it... but its slowing going away.

I barely take my car out. I replaced my clutch not too long ago with only I say about less then 80 miles on it. When I do take her on little trips, I also smell a slight burning odor from the rear when I get back to my garage. Not always but here and there. I believe it is the clutch. I think it's normal. Everything seems to work fine for me.

BTW.. I never drive my clutch hard unless I'm at the track or testing something out.

Thanh

Last edited:
Don't laugh, but believe it or not it could be tires. The OEM RE040's that came
on my '05 smell just like clutch when hot....I'm not talking driving on the track
hot, but just a normal 20-30 mile drive.

This '05 is my 5th NSX from new and the first time it ever happened was this car. My other cars had either OEM RE010's or Yoko's and never any smell.

When I got this car I was always amazed and a little worried about how hot it seemed to be after driving. Either that's just the way high-strung cars are or the placement of the engine makes its workings a bit more immediate to the senses.
Point: I still notice smells and heat and sounds (clicking due to expansion and contraction of heated metal parts).

What year is your car?
Have you had your seals and gaskets replaced?
Any seal or like component needs replacement due to time rather than mileage. You could have a miniscule leak that is not dripping but is burning off.
I had the same issue when I first got mine a few years ago. Replacing everything helped - seals, gaskets, pump, belt, etc. Be warned, that is an expensive bill.:redface:

I have a 94 and just drove it spiritedly for about ten miles and the only burn was from the brake pads, but they had no smell by the time I ran a two mile cool down road that leads home. The car smelled completely normal by the time I pulled in the house.

Sorry about the smell man. Good luck.

I always have a hot metal smell after driving and shutting down in the garage - different from other cars. Maybe all the aluminum/stainless componentry. That seems to be normal.

Thanks a lot for everyone's great response and suggestions. My car is a '97 with 38k miles on it. I've found a very small oil leak as mentioned by a couple of you so that may be it. However, it doesn't quite smell like oil on the exhaust as I have experienced that one other cars before. Hopefully, it is that and nothing more serious. Other than that, the car runs great, doesn't get too hot, doesn't smoke or make any strange noises, and ALWAYS puts a smile on my face! I'm sure all of you will agree with the latter.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's help.

sorry to bump an old post, but just wanted to add my thoughts/observations:

I too get the burning smell after driving. No visible leaks, everything 100% stock...was driving me nuts! Now that I've owned the car more, I can say for certain the smell is coming from the tires. (currently have Bridgestones dont know the exact model). I also notice tire marks/imprints on the garage floor (no marks in the front). I am assuming the tire gets pretty hot...?

Bumping this post. I too experience this smell after driving it pretty fast. Not too sure what it is. I'm hoping that I don't have to change the clutch.

Bumping this post. I too experience this smell after driving it pretty fast. Not too sure what it is. I'm hoping that I don't have to change the clutch.
Gotta love the double bump from the past ;^D

Another thing to check (even on cars with low miles- due to age) is if there is any evidence of leakage from the passenger side CV boots.
The exhaust runs right by the inner one, so I believe that helps accelerate the grease devolving into funk-colored ice cream and sneak past the boot seal which means it could end up anywhere from the inside of the RR wheel to even hotter things inboard.

Brian

I've noticed a slight odor and the clicking noises on mine after a drive for the last 13 years & 45 kmi. No detectable leakage of fluids (oil level doesn't move in 4 - 6 k mi), etc. Runs well at 8k rpm. So, if its a miniscule leak, its not a concern. Don't worry, be happy!
When I got this car I was always amazed and a little worried about how hot it seemed to be after driving. Either that's just the way high-strung cars are or the placement of the engine makes its workings a bit more immediate to the senses.
Point: I still notice smells and heat and sounds (clicking due to expansion and contraction of heated metal parts).

Back