• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BURNT MOTOR, how $ to repair/replace

Looking into to purchasing this NSX from an Auction (Salvage) yard and wanted to see what you guys think the cost would be:
NSX PICS
The auction states "ENGINE BURN" as the main damage, so how much labor and parts would it cost me to replace the motor and anything else that is in that area that could have been damaged?

Also, how common is it to have an NSX engine burn?

Any input would be helpful.

The important body parts like the firewall might be melted. It might not be worth saving. The aluminum tends to burn and melt because of the magnesium in it.

Tony has a good point about the metal structure of the car possibly being melted. Have you seen the engine bay or have any pictures of it? Along with that you have to consider that all of the wiring harnesses will need to be replaced, all hoses, and any valves/throttle body probably have melted internal components.

If it is a super good deal, and you have plenty of time and patience it could be a fun project car.

Same question: What causes the NSX engine compartement to burn. What I've read about are loose battery connections but then the front burn out.

This is not the kiss of death, but make sure to do a good inspection. The temperature needed to melt aluminum is 1184 degrees, according to the repair manual. Aluminum dissipates heat and spreads energy through out the entire structure when there is a heat source applied. It is very unlikly there has been enough energy put into the frame to have warped or melted any structural parts. If it was an engine fire, I would look for all the wire harnesses, belts and plastic part to be destroyed. Engine hatch, cover, air box, maybe the glass that seperates the engine from the passenger compartment(lots of glass in the interior shot), weatherstrip seals will need to be replaced plus paint. This was totaled for a reason, so my guess is an expensive repair, be careful before you jump into it.

On the up side, very cool DILDO :eek: used as a shift lever knob...might be worth the price alone :biggrin:

The burn could have been oil because some moron took it to Jiffy Lube and they left the fill cap off.

Without physical inspection, it's impossible to know how much got burnt. But, if the engine is gone but the structure is good, a new engine + installation is going to be your biggest expense. The other stuff, wires, and whatnot, should be dwarfed by this.

If everything is intact - maybe you can part it out, make some money, and use the proceeds towards a higher mile but otherwise perfect NSX. Always hate to see an enthusiast get nailed by risky repairs.

To answer your question - I have seen several 3.0L short blocks in the 5500-6500 range and figure another 2000 for installation if everything else is perfect.

53heloFE said:
Tony has a good point about the metal structure of the car possibly being melted. Have you seen the engine bay or have any pictures of it? Along with that you have to consider that all of the wiring harnesses will need to be replaced, all hoses, and any valves/throttle body probably have melted internal components.

If it is a super good deal, and you have plenty of time and patience it could be a fun project car.

The car is out of state so all I have access to are those pictures. I was thinking about buying another FRONT END NSX and take the parts I need out of that one, so hopefully it will work out.

Be careful with fire victims. Fire is nasty. I'd rather work on a flood car than a fire car. Even if the metalurgy is fine, everything else is screwed. hoses, wires, shrouds, vents, suspension bushings, shifter cables, etc., and that's assuming it was limited to the engine bay. If it made it into the trunk or passenger compartment, then it's worse.

I'm not saying don't do it, but just be prepared for what you're jumping in to.

is the trunk and passenger compartment near the motor? I thought trunk was in the front? Can anyone tell me whats else is near the motor area?

S2KxC4S said:
The car is out of state so all I have access to are those pictures. I was thinking about buying another FRONT END NSX and take the parts I need out of that one, so hopefully it will work out.

Might as well go with a 3.2L if your are going to replace.

There's a Zanardi long block on eBay for $8500 or you can get a Type-R motor from ProCar for about $11k-$12k.

TTony said:
Might as well go with a 3.2L if your are going to replace.
Yes - Especially since, being a 2000 model with 6-speed transmission, 3.2L is what this NSX came with.

S2KxC4S said:
whats the difference with Zanardi long block compared to non?
It is the same as any other 3.2L sold in the US.

NSXnBRLA said:
That car is being sold at one of my companies facilities. Check your PM and reply so I can get you some details.

PM'ed you back. If you can get any info today that would be great seeing how the car is auctioning within 24hours.

THanks

MORE PICTURES uploaded. Don't know what happened, but the yard added close ups of the engine damage. Please check the LINK out again and let me know what you think its worth...

Thanks

Comptech supercharger is cool(might still be good?), the chassis brace sitting on the trunk looks pretty clean and it would have been sitting on top of the engine when it burned, so good chance there is no structural damage. Figure all wires, hoses and plastic parts from the middle of the engine compartment up will need to be replaces. I would guess $15-18K in parts if the only damge is what you can see in the pics. I would guess $10-15K labor and paint.

If you can get a parts car, things could be much cheaper, if you are doing the work yourself, would be a nice winter project. Will always smell like smoke though with out a complete interior replace...no way i know to get the burned plastic smell out...

01blacks4 physically checked the car today and said its pretty much F#@K. The fire got into the interior and melted the rear seats and a bunch of other things, but he probably would be better suited to describe what he saw. The auction is at $8800 right now, so from what he said it isn't even worth that.

i'll ask 01blacks4 to post something on this thread.

thanks

yeah its pretty screwed...lots of work to fix...it would be a fun winter project though...
it was pretty hot no doubt but it seems like it was high in the bay, like the engine cover is what was the cause (cf goes up cool).....definatly not for a weak of heart project wise.....50 50 on if a new engine is needed but LOTS of plastic and rubber are needed for sure.....

S2KxC4S said:
is the trunk and passenger compartment near the motor? I thought trunk was in the front? Can anyone tell me whats else is near the motor area?

since nobody answered this, the trunk is actually behind the engine at the very back of the car. underneath the hood is lots more stuff... radiator, ac, brake stuff, spare tire, battery, etc.

The insurance company paid off $54,125 on this car. They wont let it go for less than 25% of that. Ill let you guys know what the final bid is, later today. I've got my own auction today so i'll be balls to the wall :)

MCM said:
Might make a neat track rat?
no int, full cage ect? :smile:

Looks like a race car to me!!!! :biggrin:

Back