• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

By the numbers

Hello guys and gals, I am in the market for an NSX. I have spent a lot of time researching both the NSX and the Viper to determine what car best suites my desires and have decided that the NSX is twice the car I ever expected. Now that I know what kind of car I want, it is time to learn more about the NSX, so I have a few question I hope you guys don't mind answering. I have looked a several cars in the so-cal area, and have decided that the plum (purple) is the one for me. If my facts are correct, there were 54 imported to the US in '95, and only 33 in '96. My question is, how do I find out how many are manuals or tiptronics, and how many of these with each color interior.

My other question is, how much do mdifications effect the value of the car. I'm not looking at this purchase as an investment, but am just curious how things like aftermarket wheels or engine mods effect the value. I know that matching numbers and original equipment in collector muscle cars are important to some, but very few of the NSX's I've looked at are bone stock.

Thanks for ready and replying, this board and web site have been very helpful in learning about this great car.

Tim

Originally posted by ascot71:
My question is, how do I find out how many are manuals or tiptronics, and how many of these with each color interior.

Look in the FAQ section on General Info - Production Numbers.

And the '95+ automatic is called a Sportshift, not a Tiptronic.

how much do mdifications effect the value of the car.

This is discussed in the FAQ section on Buy Sell - Pricing. However, I disagree with the valuation placed on mods in that section. I think that only a few mods are worth 50 percent of the purchase price of their parts - a supercharger is the only one that really jumps to mind. I think that for most other mods, the fact that they limit the market makes up for any value they add, so I don't think the market value overall increases at all based on having mods. Furthermore, certain mods, such as garish interior additions or body parts, can actually cause the market value to go down significantly.

I would suggest spending money on mods if you are going to get enough enjoyment out of them while you have the car to justify the cost; don't count on getting anything for them at resale time, and you won't be disappointed.

If you are buying a car, there are plenty of cars out there that are close to stock. The reason it seems that there are a lot of modded cars is only because the modded cars are much harder to sell and so they tend to stay on the market a long time, sometimes at a discount. A nice condition NSX that's close to stock will sell quickly, so you don't see a lot of them listed. If you want an NSX that's close to stock, stay on top of the various listings and you'll find one (but be prepared to move when you find what you're looking for). Don't spend anything extra for mods unless they happen to be exactly what you would spend money on anyway.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 11 March 2003).]

Thanks for the reply. After my post, I dug around this website and found the answers to my questions. But you comments on modifications is greatly appreciated. I have been talking to a gentleman with a midnight pearl '96, and he keeps referring to the tiptronic trans. Am I missing something, or is he calling the auto the wrong thing? I have not driven an auto yet, as every one in my area so far is a manual, which I believe is what I want.

Any thoughts on the auto? My wife is very small, but didn't have any problems with the clutch on the manual. She does with our mustangs, saying it is just too hard for her in traffic. The NSX will only be driven on the highway, so I wasn't worried about her and the manual. What do you guys think, and does the rarity of the auto mean anything to the value. The car I am looking at, according the FAQ's, is one of only 3 imported.

Thanks for your time NSXTASY, I appreciate it.

Tim

The common and popular mods like intake, headers and exhaust do tend to be worth something at resale from my experience. Highly personalized mods like interior changes or wheels don't tend to add much to resale - and really bad ones can actually make it harder to sell the car. You are usually much better off selling those kinds of mods separately, particularly if they are expensive (like say a set of $5k wheels or a $5k stereo system).

Yes, the person calling the auto a "tiptronic" is technically calling it the wrong thing - that word is a Porsche trademark. But the function is basically the same, and I've heard a lot of people (including owners) use the phrase, just like many NSX owners refer to the NSX-T as a "Targa" even though Porsche also owns that trademark.

For the transmission - buy what you want. Autos are not worth more.

Originally posted by Lud:
Highly personalized mods like interior changes or wheels don't tend to add much to resale...

Unless of course the wheels on a 94 were upgraded to the 2002 spec. In which case, makes that particular mod on the car highly desirable come selling time.

Right?
wink.gif

Originally posted by Joel:
Unless of course the wheels on a 94 were upgraded to the 2002 spec. In which case, makes that particular mod on the car highly desirable come selling time.

In terms of market value, I think that the '02-03 wheels are slightly more desirable than the '94-01 wheels, and that the '94-01 wheels are significantly more desirable than the '91-93 wheels. However, I think that in either case, you could get more money by selling the car with the original wheels and selling the newer wheels separately, than selling the car with the newer wheels.

I have not driven an auto yet, as every one in my area so far is a manual, which I believe is what I want.

Any thoughts on the auto?

If you want the manual, get a car with the manual. When buying an NSX, don't settle for something that's not exactly what you want.

There have been lots of discussions about this (you can do a search on this forum and the general discussion forum on topics with "auto" in the subject).

What do you guys think, and does the rarity of the auto mean anything to the value. The car I am looking at, according the FAQ's, is one of only 3 imported.

As Lud notes, there is no additional premium on a car with an automatic. Furthermore, it will make it much more difficult to sell, if and when you decide to get rid of it, because there are so few buyers who are looking for an automatic.

In fact, having a combination of a very rare color and an automatic could make it extremely difficult to sell, and could mean that you might have to sell it for thousands of dollars less than otherwise.

If a purple automatic is exactly what you want, and you don't mind that it could be difficult to sell, by all means go for it! But if you prefer a manual, get a manual.

Originally posted by Lud:
The common and popular mods like intake, headers and exhaust do tend to be worth something at resale from my experience.

I guess we just have a difference of opinion on that.

In my view, most folks will not pay extra for those mods. While some folks would pay extra, IMO these are the folks who may very well be looking for a car for less than fair market value, so that they might end up paying market value and getting the mods thrown in for free. From the buyer's perspective, they are paying a little more for the mods than they would have for a car without the mods. But from the seller's perspective, the seller is not getting a higher price than he could get for the same car without the mods.

While I am admittedly just guessing at the reasons for it, the bottom line is that I have not seen cars sell at a premium over market price due to having aftermarket intake, headers, and exhaust. As I say, you can chalk it up to a difference of opinion regarding our perception of the marketplace.

Tim,

In regard to the clutch, you mentioned your wife not being happy about the Mustang clutch. The nsx "stock" clutch is as light as a Honda Accord. I suggest you find an owner in your area and let her drive it, then decide.

It really sounds like you want a manual, but the potential clutch "heavyness" is swaying you
smile.gif

I mentioned "stock" for a reason. There are aftermarket clutches that are much heavier.

Good Luck with your search.

HTH,
LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 11 March 2003).]

If this is the car in Reno, I have been seriously considering this car as well, but the asking price of $56,500 is much too high. High Blue book value is only $52,285 and private party Blue book is $47,000. Even Dealers don't sell cars for high book anymore and nothing at all is selling anywhere near high book in this economy. This car should be in the forties to be priced fairly. Combine the fact that it is an automatic and the price really is much too high.

[This message has been edited by Imola (edited 13 March 2003).]

You can use the Pricing section of the FAQ for guidance. I agree with Imola. The only '96 that would justify selling in the fifties is an "A+" car which means miles under 10K and absolutely flawless - highly unlikely. Even if it's in very good condition ("B") it's only worth mid forties at best.

There was a '95 Purple/Black NSX-T 5 speed last month in Ft. Collins w/ less than 20K miles. I had the opportunity to buy it at $40,000 from a BMW dealer no less but wasn't quite ready to make a decision at that time. It was a one owner NSX owned by a Dr. who traded it in on an M3. I believe this is the new owner:
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000394.html

This is essentially the same car as the one your are looking at in Reno but in a more desirable 5 speed and it went for considerably less.

[This message has been edited by Imola (edited 13 March 2003).]

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. Yes Imola, I was referring to the Reno car. Are you the gentleman from the bay area that made him an offer? Appears we may be in the market for the same type of car! We may make a trip up to Reno next weekend to see the car, but my wife and I have pretty much decided we'll wait for a manual. There is a '95 midnight pearl car with cream interior here in So-cal, but it is REALLY rough. Very sad. Don't waste your time, I was told it was in great shape and looked at it this past weekend. At least we got see see every color except blue last weekend. We looked at the yellow '99 that was being discussed in another post, and it seemed a bit fishy to me also. That supercharger is loud. If anybody is looking for a '97 white/manual B rated (in my novice opinion)car, Tustin Acura has one, and they have called every day since Saturday. As you can guess, any leads on a midnight pearl NSX would be appreciated, and I'll be back with more questions I'm sure. Thanks again,
Tim

. Yes Imola, I was referring to the Reno car. Are you the gentleman from the bay area that made him an offer?

You have good taste in colors Tim. Yes, I'm the one who made an offer, and a very very fair one at that. It's too bad he feels the car is worth more than book. I have driven a few automatics and even though they are easier to drive, I'll honestly admit they aren't nearly as much fun as a manual. The clutch is so light in a 5 speed that it isn't an issue at all. Even though I made him an offer, I was still hesitant on buying an automatic. Keep us posted on what you find and if by chance you find a nice one you aren't going to buy, I would love any leads. Good luck!!

Back