• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

C7 Corvette to be mid-engine

Just saw a copy of Autoweek which stated that the "Blue Devil" Corvette will be the last hurrah for the C6, cost about $100K, and be 650HP, before the introduction of the C7, which they stated very matter-of-factly will be a mid-engine design.
If GM comes out with a 450HP mid-engine design (the '08 base Vette is already going to be 435HP) before Honda gets its butt in gear with the 2nd gen. NSX, that's it!
Also, the cheapy interior issues of the Vette are supposed to be addressed as well.

Last edited:
Re: 2007 Corvette to be Mid-engine

I think what they mean is Front mid engined. i.e. the engine is behind the front wheels but not behind the seats. Technically it is still mid engined. There is no way a C6 can truely be mid engined like a NSX.

They were writing specifically about the next-generation Corvette (C7) as being mid-engined. But, you might be right that they meant a front/mid design rather than a rear/mid design.

The 2007 Corvette is already available at your nearest Chevy dealer... :confused:

Yeah, I just noticed that. Thread title was supposed to read: "C7 corvette to be mid-engine" (big difference there) Oops! I don't see where I can change it now.:frown:

The current Z06 is basically "mid engine" already. As stated above, a mid engine car doesn't mean the driver sits in front of the engine.

The s2000 and FD are mid engine layouts in the same fashion the C6 is. Different beast than a rear mid engine car like the NSX or MR2. The previous is called a front mid engined car to be more exact.

The s2000 and FD are mid engine layouts in the same fashion the C6 is. Different beast than a rear mid engine car like the NSX or MR2. The previous is called a front mid engined car to be more exact.

Yes, I understand the diff between front/mid and rear/mid. The point is that the article made it sound as though the coming layout will be something new for the 'Vette, not a continuation of the current layout. They should be more specific. ie say front/mid or rear/mid where applicable.

Yes, I understand the diff between front/mid and rear/mid. The point is that the article made it sound as though the coming layout will be something new for the 'Vette, not a continuation of the current layout. They should be more specific. ie say front/mid or rear/mid where applicable.

I was just clarifying and I myself should be more specific. My guess is they are further shifting the engine against the firewall, making it "more" mid-engine if that really makes any sense. Ferrari often does the same thing on their FR models [which I believe they sell more of than their MR cars currently] as they modify and improve them.

Back