• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CA NSXers Watch Out

Last night I saw an unmarked CHP 2002 Camaro pulling over some one on 580. You can't even tell it is CHP until you are right upon them. But of course myself and everyone else here have nothing to worry about since we all drive at or below the posted speed limit. Right?

I saw one the other day on Highway 4. They sport these super low profile light bars that look like ski racks from a distance. From what I heard, the CHP bought 70 units and will get more in the future. They are also "supposedly" capable of doing 170 MPH.

[This message has been edited by Option2 (edited 26 June 2002).]

I saw one yesterday. According to this morning's SF chronicle, they do 160mph. However, I think they will get in trouble if they drive that fast.

------------------
Tim Meekins
1997 Yellow NSX-T
http://tmeekins.com

I've seen a few of them hiding in a few spots on 9 in Saratoga!

They conceal their "copness" pretty well, and you won't be able to tell it's a cop until you get close to it.

So, refrain from racing those Camaros unless you are sure it's not a cop!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
I've seen a few of them hiding in a few spots on 9 in Saratoga!

There are more motorcycle cops hiding on 9 in Saratoga too. One would have nailed me as I was gliding down this morning if I didn't see his windshield glint through the leaves of the bushes.

The Cameros are definitely hard to spot, even when they're right behind you.

I usually look for a black car with a white roof. The A-pillars and roofline I pay attention to very carefully. ANYTIME I see a car in this configuration, I slow down. Once in a while it turns out to be a Mustang with a white convertible top but most of the time it's a Crown Vic CHP. Better safe than sorry.

Are the new Camaros black body and white roof like the Crown Vics?

Vytas

In our country, the 'highway patrol' almost
always drive in 'normal'cars. Any car you
see can be filled with agressive cops with
only one mission : to find streetracers.
When you pass the speed limit with 40 km/h
they take your drivers license for at leat a month, if it's the first time. Second time
will be longer and much more expensive.
We're playing the 'cat & mousse 'game all the time. Keeps life exciting, hehe
biggrin.gif

In 880 along Milpitas or Fremont, where there are so many overpass, all they need to do is sit on top of one near the on ramp. There is no way you can see them until they are on your rear view mirror which will be too late. It doesn't really matter what car/motorcycle they use.

Some pictures here:

<a href="http://edhsu.homestead.com/files/pictures/chpfnt.jpg">Front</a>

<a href="http://edhsu.homestead.com/files/pictures/chp-ledsiren.jpg">Light Bar</a>

<a href="http://edhsu.homestead.com/files/pictures/chpqtfnt.jpg">Side w/ helicopter</a>

Pretty stealthy looking from a rear view mirror standpoint.

There are 11 in the SF Bay Area alone.

-Ben

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited 27 June 2002).]

http://www.valentine1.com/

simple problem, simple solution
smile.gif
it's the best on the market. the cops here in the Baton Rouge Louisiana area have some Camaros too... well, the state troupers do. they are pretty mean too. Z28's w/ upgraded cams, intakes, exhaust, and upgraded fuel systems. they are LOUD and very very mean. they hide out all over the interstate. They have been buying a lot more bikes too, but they arren't as bad as the camaro's b/c the bikes stay off of the interstate for the most part.

------------------
Paul~
[email protected]

This is big news? We have Camaros, Mustangs, Grand Cherokees, Excursions, Sebring Convertibles, motorcycles, and almost anything else you can think of. And they run without half a dozen antennas and have the lights mounted in the grille and rear window, not on the roof, so they are impossible to pick out until you are right next to them. They don't need radar or laser if they are pacing you.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 28 June 2002).]

In Hawaii, the police are allowed to use their personal cars on duty. They simply have all the radio gear and a single center mounted dome light on the roof. Camaros and Mustangs used to be the norm, but lately many of them are using SUVs anywhere from Nissan Xteras, 4Runners, Ford Exporers, and anthing in between. I've also seen a few Camry Solaras, and even Acura TL's. All the private cars have no markings exept for the single center mounted blue light on top. At times it gets tough trying to pick out the police in the rear view mirror.

Originally posted by Orange240sx:
http://www.valentine1.com/

simple problem, simple solution
smile.gif
it's the best on the market.

I thought the CHPs don't use radar...?

Even the best radar detector won't protect you against a patient cop using instant-on radar or laser, if he hasn't hit someone up ahead of you.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 28 June 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I thought the CHPs don't use radar...?

The started a few years ago.

-Ben

Originally posted by ChrisK:
In Hawaii, the police are allowed to use their personal cars on duty. They simply have all the radio gear and a single center mounted dome light on the roof. Camaros and Mustangs used to be the norm, but lately many of them are using SUVs anywhere from Nissan Xteras, 4Runners, Ford Exporers, and anthing in between. I've also seen a few Camry Solaras, and even Acura TL's. All the private cars have no markings exept for the single center mounted blue light on top. At times it gets tough trying to pick out the police in the rear view mirror.

Wow, this come as a surprise to me. To my understanding, you can only get pullover by marked car! Unmarked car suppose to radio marked car if they want to pull you over. Do not stop if you are flashed a police badge in unmarked car. Even if they have those removable light flashing. It is easy to impersonate police officer.

Don't know how well maintained it is but speedtrap.com has a registry of police vehicles, searchable by state.

goodbar.gif

Here in NJ they have some unmarked stuff but mostly still rely on Crown Vics, some unmarked, some "stealth" w/ no lightbar. They are also making a big investment in laser guns.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page
<center></center>

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Back