• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CAI makes for a super dirty air filter?

you made several good points, i am not surprised that there is no ram effect present as the location of the intake on the nsx is in completely wrong place for it to work (btw, ram-air effect is usable at speeds as low as 50mph with properly designed system). i am certain that ais has absolutely no effect on an otherwise stock car as there would be no air-mass increase requirement, but after doing the 'na' mods to exhaust, chip etc you may find that stock snorkle will be restrictive in that setup. i would like to see a dyno of na-optimized car with oem snorkle versus ais.
as is our discussion is purely speculative.

I would very much like to see those experiments as well. There are really none that I know of that consist of (OEM snorkel + wind) baseline and (AIS + wind) test dyno being the only variable. OEM filter in both cases, different cars, different dynos, different days, same conditions.

I do think that some have been done and not posted. People aren't very happy about the fact that they spent hundreds on a product with no measurable results and are more likely to not post such a dyno.

Plus, the manufacturers of such products would be ranting and raving about any such dynos and again, I've seen not one dyno chart under those conditions performed by anyone other than the manufacturer themselves and with other variables like AM filters.

Cleaned my unifilter today.

Regarding ram air.... FYI, ram air doesn't have any measurable effects until +150 mph and even then it's marginal. Cold air is a different subject.

Ram jets work best at Mach 2 and faster. That's about 1400 miles per hour and upwards. While some ram jets have
been made to operate (very poorly) at speeds as low as 100 mph, the extensive tests that NACA did in 1948 provided
both the math and the test results to show that the Ram Air effect is nearly useless below about 320 mph. It seems that
Ram Air is a dynamic function that is proportional to the square of the air velocity. As such, at 75 mph the gain in air
density is about 7/10ths of one percent, or .007 percent. At sea level you'll be getting 14.8 PSI instead of the standard
14.7 PSI. But that's in a perfect world. Ram Air is generally considered to be only about 75% efficient, so in truth at
75mph you are gaining only about 1/2 of one percent.

This begins to ramp up as you get faster. At 150 mph the density increase is 2.75% (2.06% adjusted) which is probably
helpful in some way but is still in the "nearly impossible to measure" category.

At 350 mph the increase in density is in the 15% range and this is where Ram Air becomes usable.

Last edited:
18 June 09
Thursday

1. Purchase either an OEM filter or the replacement Fram filter.
2. Select the nearest trash receptacle and throw away the K & N filter.
3. The K & N filter is not compatible with our wonderful super exotic NSX or NSX-T.

HGS

Back