• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Calabogie!

Calabogie!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 2006 will see the opening of a new race track:*Calabogie*at*5 km long and 20 corners. Located 45 minutes outside Ottawa, Ontario, the track joins Mosport and Mont Tremblant in the excellent tradition of challenging Canadian race tracks.*

The*BMW Car Club of Ottawa will be hosting one of the first Advanced Driving School at Calabogie 21-22 October 2006 and registration is now open*
on-line*via karelo. In addition, as an added incentive, if you attend this driving school,* you will be credited with a discount of $50 for our next school in 2007 at Calabogie. That's a 10% discount. Instructors interested in participating should reply directly to me.*

We expect to be able to offer 3 hours of track time each day along with in-class instruction and a dedicated in-car instructor. The school will follow the usual high standard of the BMW Club Canada format and rules. This is not a race school or a lapping day, it is an advanced driving school.

Given the late start to the season with Calabogie opening in September and the limited notice, we would greatly appreciate your assistance in getting the word out to as many people as possible.

In addition to the great personalized instruction from the pool of talented instructors, this event is tax deductible (Canadian students only). Read your auto insurance policy carefully for exclusions due to "track events". This is not a race or timed event. In-car cameras and timing devices are prohibited and will be removed.

Additional details will be forthcoming. However some basic information:

Schedule:*
A.*Registration will begin at 7 am
B. Instructor's meeting will begin at 8 am
C. Driver's meeting will begin at 8:30 am
D. First student run group 9 am
E. Lunch will be provided both days

Vehicle restrictions:
1. Race cars are only allowed in the instructor group and MUST contain a passenger seat
2. All student vehicles require a Vehicle tech inspection by a license mechanic (a form will either be link below or forwarded and on-line later)
3. All students MUST have a street legal, licensed and insured vehicle*
4. No timing or recording devices allowed in student vehicles
5. Convertibles must have rollover protection that meets is fully deployed, clears the top of your helmet by 2",* minimum 1.5" dia x .120" thick DOM steel or better. Pop-up protection is not allowed unless it is deployed and meets the above specs. Convertible tops will be run down regardless of weather.
6. SUVs, trucks and VANs are not allowed with the exception of BMW X3/X5 and Porsche Cayenne vehicles with beginner and intermediate students ONLY. No SUVs are allowed with advanced students.
7. Passing will be indicated by turn signal
8. Windows will be 1/2 down or all the way down

Additional information:
Calabogie -*http://calabogiemotorsports.com/
Calabogie Resport -*http://www.calabogie.com/calhome.asp
Karelo -*http://www.karelo.com/enter_res.php?&BID=58#Ev3698
BMW CC Ottawa -*www.bmwccottawa.org

There will be no block hotel reservations at this time. Some hotel information is provided below

Hotels:
Calabogie resort*(only 15 minutes from the track)(as of today 16 rooms, 16 mini suites and 2 suites are available but going quickly)*
1-800-669-4861
http://www.calabogie.com/

Brookstreet (50 minutes from the track)(5 star)
1-888.826.2220
http://www.brookstreethotel.com/

Kanata hotels*(about 45-50 minutes from the track)
Holiday Inn* 1 877 508 1762*
Comfort Inn*1 613 592-2200
Country inn* 1 613 599-7767*

Calabogie B&Bs
http://www.bbcanada.com/ontario/eas...tario/calabogie
http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/calabogie-ontario.html

Further Questions can be directed to myself or Chris Pawlowicz.
Hagen Hohn Chris*
(613) 839-5643 eve [email protected]
(613) 270-5273 day (613) 237-9652 eve

BioBanker said:
I cant get to the BMW event there. Timing sucks for me.

I'm not sure I can make it - definitely a trailer your car kind of place.

I was looking on a map and I think Calabogie means, "middle of freakin' nowhere" in Iroquois

largemap.jpg

Not a trailer your car kinda place if you get their from the North. It about a 3 hr drive, Im told, from Creemore.

Prob 5 hrs from us if you go down the 401 to 416 and then up 17. And that route's no fun!

Myself and a couple of other local NSXers are signed up for one of the first track events on the course on Sept. 29th. I'll let y'all know how it goes ;)

BioBanker said:
Not a trailer your car kinda place if you get their from the North. It about a 3 hr drive, Im told, from Creemore.

Prob 5 hrs from us if you go down the 401 to 416 and then up 17. And that route's no fun!

OK, but how many hours to Creemore? Its six dozen of one and half nothing of the other :tongue: - I don't live in Creemore! (come to think of it, if you check the map, its only 20 mins from white lake:wink:

I'd need to trailer my car for any drive > 1hr, so I might as well take 401 - better for haulin' than going up and down country hills.

Red said:
I'd need to trailer my car for any drive > 1hr, so I might as well take 401 - better for haulin' than going up and down country hills.

Why do you have this car again? It needs to be teched every 1/2 track day and you cant be in it for longer than 1 hr at a time? Thats not even getting into the pink hello kitty panels.

The NSX is sounding better and better after every post of yours I read!

Keep posting! Pretty soon Ill think my car is a F1 car.

Creemore is actually a pretty good meeting spot. Nice town. The point is that people from everywhere, GTA, London, Hamilton, Niagara, could meet there and we could have some fun making our way via an northern route to the Bugie.

BioBanker said:
Why do you have this car again? It needs to be teched every 1/2 track day and you cant be in it for longer than 1 hr at a time?
Thats becasue its a REAL racecar - I don't WANT to drive it on the street for more than an hour or two, monoball suspension = unforgiving on pot holes

BioBanker said:
Thats not even getting into the pink hello kitty panels.
You shoudl really see an eyedoctor about that one...:rolleyes:

BioBanker said:
The NSX is sounding better and better after every post of yours I read!
Until you emulate Shane in 2, then you'll be wanting that full cage!

BioBanker said:
Keep posting! Pretty soon Ill think my car is a F1 car.
F1 gearboxes last 1 race, you shift a little better than that, when I was with you you only crunched the gears every OTHER shift.:wink:

BioBanker said:
Creemore is actually a pretty good meeting spot. Nice town. The point is that people from everywhere, GTA, London, Hamilton, Niagara, could meet there and we could have some fun making our way via an northern route to the Bugie.
True, and they have great beer, perhaps not the best way to start off a roadtrip:tongue:

Red said:
Thats becasue its a REAL racecar - I don't WANT to drive it on the street for more than an hour or two, monoball suspension = unforgiving on pot holes

You know what else is a real race car? The striped down Model T! How old is your 944 again?

Oyagi said:
Myself and a couple of other local NSXers are signed up for one of the first track events on the course on Sept. 29th. I'll let y'all know how it goes ;)
Is this the $120 for 5 pm to 7 pm event on Friday Sept 29th?
If you're going to be at this event, I'm up for the drive as well.

Daria said:
Is this the $120 for 5 pm to 7 pm event on Friday Sept 29th?
If you're going to be at this event, I'm up for the drive as well.

Thats an affirmative.

Wow, looks like a lot of nsxers will be there. Can't wait!

OK. I just talked to Andre and confirmed my acceptance. It looks like my NSX will have another go at it before parking for the winter.

Rui, do you have room in your trailer for wheels?

Daria's gonna beat on Rui all day.

Watched a recent lap of the Bogie since its been paved.

Looks pretty narrow! Not a lot of run off in some spots.

Dont know why they wouldnt have just wowed the forest to give plenty of spinning room for guys like Stu.

GreatWhiteNorth said:
I'll be bringing my 15 yr old BWM 325 beater (165hp) with 300,000+ kms on it so I hope you NSX boys will go easy on me. I'll have to do some stretching exercises before hand for all the point-bys I'll be giving you guys.

It looks like I'll have 3 or 4 straights to pull away from you. The rest of the track looks like a fun playground for the BMW.

BioBanker said:
You know what else is a real race car? The striped down Model T! How old is your 944 again?

So you're saying my antique car is faster than your downforce, supercharged, lowered, 15 year old boy ass attracting machine?:rolleyes:

OK, I'll take it!:wink:

BioBanker said:
Dont know why they wouldnt have just wowed the forest to give plenty of spinning room for guys like Stu.

I could do a tank slapper and still beat your lap time!:tongue:

BioBanker said:
Big talker.

You've already come up with an excuse for you being in the way all Thursday, havent you?

Bet its something like bushings or constipation.

Hey, when we're talking about who's faster only one of us is full of sh!t - and it ain't me!:wink:

Back