• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Calgary, right hand drive cars

I despise all the "JDM JUNK" we have cruising our streets. It boggles my mind that our Federal Government (Transport Canada) allows them to be imported, I just don't get it. I usually get the "punks" in their old R28/30 Skyline's that pull up to my 2005 STi and sound off their BOV's, I simply mash the throttle and show them how much technology has changed in the past 15 years. I even saw some strange RHD Toyota van with an older lady driving it yesterday, get real !! Just imagine getting parts for some of these vehicles. Ahhh... I feel better having vented now. :smile:

Why should it 'boggle your mind'? By allowing people to find a car they want and import it, Transportation Canada gets additional revenues that they otherwise would not. Plus, if someone is getting a car they enjoy, who the heck are you to tell them their car is 'JDM junk'? Someone could say the same for your cars since they are from the same roots.

I just picked up my '91 NSX yesterday. I rewired the front markers for DRL. Will this pass the out of Province? The Canadian Cars have DRL below the front markers. (separate lamps) Let me know what you did to get yours to pass.

Why should it 'boggle your mind'? By allowing people to find a car they want and import it, Transportation Canada gets additional revenues that they otherwise would not. Plus, if someone is getting a car they enjoy, who the heck are you to tell them their car is 'JDM junk'? Someone could say the same for your cars since they are from the same roots.

Except for that steering wheel on the wrong side of the car thing. I import an RX7 from the US and I have to change the bumper rebar so that it meets the canadian safety standards (5 mph vs 8 mph), install daytime running lights, put french airbag stickers on the dash, buy child tethers, etc. But if I buy a piece of crap RHD from Japan it's all OK? That is bullshit. Tell me which is more unsafe - having a 3mph differential in your bumper rebar or having the damn steering wheel on the wrong side of the car? If it were up to me I would make all RHD cars illegal here. They were not built for our traffic system. I fully support the government in banning these cars. If you want to collect them and take them to the track fine but don't expect to drive them on the street.

Except for that steering wheel on the wrong side of the car thing. I import an RX7 from the US and I have to change the bumper rebar so that it meets the canadian safety standards (5 mph vs 8 mph), install daytime running lights, put french airbag stickers on the dash, buy child tethers, etc. But if I buy a piece of crap RHD from Japan it's all OK? That is bullshit. Tell me which is more unsafe - having a 3mph differential in your bumper rebar or having the damn steering wheel on the wrong side of the car? If it were up to me I would make all RHD cars illegal here. They were not built for our traffic system. I fully support the government in banning these cars. If you want to collect them and take them to the track fine but don't expect to drive them on the street.
I highly doubt this ban will happen. It's way to costly to unwhine was has already been done for many years already. As Canadian laws are strict for many good reasons, we are still a country of a population the fraction of just California. The impact of any negativity from this product is way to miniscule to even bring to the table, unless your uncle in the HouseOfCommons already. I agree that there must be a safety concern on an RHD going down a right lane road structure, but this is somewhat similair rules to parking on the left curb on a one way road. Saftey concerns is more on the driver, and not the actual road obstacles. Never heard of an accident that could've been avoided, due to the left side (driver) seeing better than the passenger side. You have to be consistent with your complaints. Comparing border line crash test requirements, is almost like putting on that French Airbag sticker. It's only formality. The only way to find out, which I sure barely anyone knows except for the insurance company's, are if the impact minimum requirements are making a difference on the amount of money spent on adjusting the claims. With the extreme cases in high speed accidents, that extra foam in your bumper is hardly going to make a difference when the rest of the car is wrapped around a pole. If u dun like what I had to say, just disregard it. Just my 2 cents.

The steering wheel being on the other side (I did not say 'wrong side' because is several parts of the world LHD cars are the 'wrong side') is not that big of a deal, and presents NO safety issues for anyone who is remotely roadworthy to drive. Once the driver gets used to where to look while driving, it is just like any other car. In fact, several rural postal carriers use Subaru and Jeep vehicles that are specifically ordered with the steering wheel on the right side of the vehicle. If it was that unsafe, I doubt this would happen. Plus, have you ever driven a RHD vehicle? I have, and they are no big deal. If you are upset because you had to do certain things to your RX-7 and feel that it is not fair the RHD cars may not have to jump through all of the same hoops, just get over it. Not everything is fair. Besides that there is not a logical reason why RHD cars should be banned. Let people do what they want by bringing them in. If they have to add DRLs or other things, fine. But at least allow those enthusiasts the opportunity to enjoy the cars that they love.

I wouldn't assume everything is a piece of crap from Japan. In fact, many of the rhd cars are in exceptional conditon (low milege, no rust). As well, many rhd countries also welcome lhd cars on the same streets (Japan included) and they have had no major issues with having both drive cars co-existing on the same streets.

Crash standards concerns I think he's got a point, but then you'll need to remove all the classic cars on the roads that also don't offer the same crashworthiness of todays machines. My neighbour has a 1974 Beetle with NO bumpers or engine hatch. What should we say about them?

I wouldn't assume everything is a piece of crap from Japan. In fact, many of the rhd cars are in exceptional conditon (low milege, no rust). As well, many rhd countries also welcome lhd cars on the same streets (Japan included) and they have had no major issues with having both drive cars co-existing on the same streets.

Yeah, rust free until they experience one Canadian winter in Ontario/Quebec where the streets are greased with salt. I seldom see early-mid 90's federalized Japanese vehicles that are not covered in rust out here in Western Canada where salt is used in great moderation.

Yeah, rust free until they experience one Canadian winter in Ontario/Quebec where the streets are greased with salt. I seldom see early-mid 90's federalized Japanese vehicles that are not covered in rust out here in Western Canada where salt is used in great moderation.

I seldom seen ANY cars, federalized or not, that have been through very many Canadian winters that do not have rust.

I think people are really reaching for reasons why to not have RHD cars be allowed.

LUV2REV said:
Hey, its my buddy!
:biggrin:

Pssst, there are ways to avoid rust these days ;)

I seldom seen ANY cars, federalized or not, that have been through very many Canadian winters that do not have rust.

I think people are really reaching for reasons why to not have RHD cars be allowed.

+1.

Back