• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

California smog laws

I have a question concerning California smog laws. I have never brought a car from out of state to California. Will I have any problems bringing in an NSX that was originally sold outside California? In this state, it is the sellers responsibilty to smog the car. How does this work with an out of state car?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

I didn't have any significant problems doing that. As I recall, there is a 'minimum mileage' requirement for out-of-state cars brought in (unless you're moving into the state). I don't remember for sure, but I believe it was 7500. Double-check that if it's a very low-miles car. The emissions requirements themselves (passing) are not a problem. I had to get it smog checked myself in CA prior to titling/registration there; which incidentally you aren't allowed very long to do after bringing the car in-state. As I recall, that's something ridiculous like 10 days. There's also a visual inspection done at DMV at time of registration. My car also had to be at least safety inspected, and possibly smog checked in the state of origin (Utah) at the time of sale.

As long as it meets the mileage minimum and it's a 50-state emissions car like the NSX, there are no big issues. Just don't miss the deadline to register it after you bring it home, else they'll charge a penalty.

- Richard

California Smog

Just to be clear on this subject. As of 3 years ago there is no difference in registering a non-california or 49 state car in the state. You of course do need to meet the minimum mileage requirements as stated previously and a smog inspection is required prior to registering but there is nothing preventing registration as long as the Federal standards are met and all smog related devices are intact.

There was a $300 "Smog Impact" fee when registering a "49 state" car but that was repealed approx. 3 years ago and all people who paid the fee were given a refund, if they knew enough to request it.

Back