• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

California smog limits endangering our NSX's? What do we know?

I have read some posts here about the ever-tightening smog test limits that California continues to impose on all cars... qualitatively, we know it has been happening and will likely continue to happen into the future. It is good for our air and our environment, no doubt.

But as an NSX owner, I am curious to know if anyone has a fact-based point of view on the following:

1) A stock, properly running NA1 or NA2 NSX passes smog today... but how close does it clear the various, current test hurdles? Are we just squeaking by these days?
2) At the rate of the State lowering allowed emission levels, is there a likely time frame over which the NSX will likely fail to pass the test?
3) When that unhappy day comes, what can we as owners do?? (in terms of modifying the car or doing something to the car in terms of 're-tuning' or aftermarket cats etc etc to have it pass smog, even if we then switch it back after we pass...). I know we can always try to find a 'friendly smog test shop' but with the computerized test equipment trends I think their hands will become largely tied...

We love our NSX's, I am just thinking what the future will hold, and whether that unhappy day is years away or coming pretty soon...

Thanks in advance for any INFORMED points of view.

Last edited:
Every time I have smogged my NSX's they have passed with flying colors... Wouldn't worry bout it.

Couldn't the car just be brought to a state referee and disputed? It's a pain, but once it's passed by the state referee, you should be good for a while... until one of your catalytic converters die or something.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Seems like a lot of primers have problems though. This is a good question to ask.

Not for "stock properly running NSX" for what he asked about...if it dosent pass smog it is neither "stock" or "properly running".

Here in BC older cars must meet the emission limits that were in effect when the cars were produced so older cars aren't unduly penalized as limits are raised.

I am the OP. Thanks to all for the replies.

I am well aware that TODAY a properly running stock NSX passes smog in CA without any trouble. Mine does.

My question is about the future...

Does anyone know how much, year to year, the allowable CA emissions limits for exhaust pollutants (HC, CO, NOx) are being tapered down to force older, 'dirtier' cars off the road, and how does this compare to the levels produced by our NA1/NA2 NSX's?

BTW - here is an interesting thread I found on another board... it is dated, but quite interesting nonetheless -------->

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...r-passing-smog-in-California-(by-a-Smog-Tech)

Last edited:
This must be a common issue for emissions tests on older/collector cars and I would think California would be one of the states with more of these type of cars than most.
Have you talked to CARB about the issue?

My question is about the future...

Does anyone know how much, year to year, the allowable CA emissions limits for exhaust pollutants (HC, CO, NOx) are being tapered down to force older, 'dirtier' cars off the road, and how does this compare to the levels produced by our NA/NA2 NSX's?

I don't think anyone knows the set amount being tapered each year in general. I read somewhere that the limit is based on the average test results? As for the NSX, I heard that the smog parameters are tapered for only the 91 model at this point.

I hope that they won't taper too much because our cars are old and they are not going to run cleaner.

Are all of the OBD1 NSX cats the same?

They sure look like pre-cats in terms of size compared to late mode cars.

U can custom fit the largest OBD2 cats from magnaflow that will fit AFTER the stock OEM cats and OEM cat location and it will be TOTALLY legal.

Just be careful if you have near ZERO emission readings and the smog tech thinks some funny BS is going on while he is scratching his head.

Hey Golfnutintib,

Noticed your located in marin. Probably see you around. Im in san rafael. I just passed smog without any issues. But then again, mines is all stock except for a pride v1 exhaust.

Golfnutintib... don't know where you get your car smog checked... may I recommend:
Marinwood Smog Check
100 Marinwood Avenue
San Rafael, CA 94903

They do many vehicles from Sears Point... so you can trust a knowledgeable operator.

Thanks for the leads to the friendly smog shops in Marin... much appreciated...

Back