• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

California Ticketing Laws

I've been looking at CHP sources and everything else I can find but can't find a definitive resource. Does anyone know where to find information about all of the legal methods allowed to ticket for speeding, in all instances? Like, does it have to be posted that radar is used; and if so, does the CHP have to be stationary; can they target a car using radar from an opposing traffic lane and subtract their own speed; how many seconds do they need to track someone at a certain speed to ticket...? I just figure there's a guideline somewhere about what is, and is not, acceptable... and that would be made available to the population.

Look at it another way... let's all drive safely... but if the state has quantified where the 'dangers' are, and how to measure them... let's know where it isn't quite so important, what things they can, and can't, call ticketable offences.

So, is there a list somewhere that tells us what all of the methods used to track unacceptable/ticketable behavior on the highways (as opposed to local/city jurisdictions) are?

(Um, a friend asked me to ask....)

You best ask a Highway Patroman who specializes in traffic, or an experienced traffic attorney.

Briefly: Yes, CHP can use radar in the opposite direction to clock you. They can also use laser, which is even more accurate (eg. LIDAR).

The only instance you can get away in court from such a tactic is if you were among a pack of other cars, and the officer used radar on you. You could claim that the radar is not as accurate as LIDAR, and it may have been another vehicle that was clocked by yours. The judge may disagree and side with the CHP officer, that's a big risk.

If there are material mistakes on the ticket, that's another way to get it tossed out.

Good luck.

Ah, it wasn't so much that I got a ticket - I was looking for a way to fine tune my 'Spidey Senses' while driving :smile:

Get a Lidar detector..................best way

To answer some of you questions:

Yes they can use radar from a stationary or moving position. Most CHP have a setup that does both. City cops very seldom have that kinda flexibility

Most systems are instant on so even with a detector, you will only pick it up if its been activated hopefully in front of you, which will gice you time to shut it down.

These systems to are mere made to support visual estimation as well, most courst grant some "expert testimony" from officers with experience.

Bottom line be carefull be alert and buy a detector. :wink:

Wadasan said:

That site is a good read, with a good laugh here and there. I like this > You don't have to memories anything. I think they mean memorize. Or this one > YOU GET TO PREVIEW THE TRIAL TESTED DEFENCE. And this ironic one > The wealth of information here is material to your defence and there is no substitute for knowledge. Another typo, which should be spelled defense (which they do correctly other places)

I saw the site and hate to tell you that in 10years that I was the operator of one of those radar gun. If my equipment was in good working order and the traffic engineering study was within 5 years........................I never lost a ticket.......................

I know there are books out there, I even had people hire attorneys to fight but they lost

You can ask for those items as part of a motion of discovery to prepare your case but if its all in order......................go to traffic school if you can

Back