• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cam Seal leak?

HTN

Experienced Member
This is the first issue since my 2 yrs of ownership.
It's an 05 with 48K miles.
Smoke was coming from rear hatch. Did some search and think its the Cam seal that is leaking. Not very mahanically incline as you can see.
Any input is appreciated. Also what is approx cost to repair before I take it.

Attachments

• DSCN3091.jpg
    DSCN3091.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 627
mods.
Please move this thread to the correct topic if need be. Thanks

It looks more like a valve cover gasket leak, not a camshaft seal leak.

I'm not sure of the book time, but not very hard to do. I'm guessing 2-3 hours.

The parts are not very expensive. Probably around $80 for the 4 valve cover gasket. You might want the valve cover rubber nut washers also. And don't forget 6 tube seal gaskets also.

This is the first issue since my 2 yrs of ownership.
It's an 05 with 48K miles.
Smoke was coming from rear hatch. Did some search and think its the Cam seal that is leaking. Not very mahanically incline as you can see.
Any input is appreciated. Also what is approx cost to repair before I take it.

I'd say that looks like a leaky valve cover gasket but hard to tell for sure without looking at it in person.

Same thing happened to me,, its the valve cover seals, while your at it get the spark plug seals and cams seals,, I got mine for
this was e-mailed to me from the dealer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Valve Cover Gaskets are $44.00 + tax
The Spark Plug Gaskets are $19.92 + tax
The Cam Seals are $30.00 + tax

From Larry Bastanza:

OK there are cam seals and cam plugs.

The cam plugs are on the transmission side of the heads. These can me changed without removing the cams, just lifting them about 12 mm. This is not a trivial job, in fact I have had some special tools made for this. You need to raise the cams by removing all 24(rear ) bolts from the valve train and let the cams rise up to get the plug out. On the front head there are 28 bolts.

The cam seals are behind the cam gears so the cams geasrs need to come off, and I would not do that without removing the timing belt.

-----------------------------------------

Therefore, replacing the cam seal is not necessary here.

Last edited:
The most cause of oil leaks around the engine are

1. Valve cover gasket / Spark Plug Gasket (proper name is Tube seals). I am including spark plug gasket because it is extremely easy to replace once you have your valve cover off.

2. Spool Valve gasket (aka. VTEC soleniod gasket)

There is a gasket set that includes the valve cover gaskets, spark plug seals and bolt/stud seals. P/N 12030-PR7-010. Costs $43.07 per set from Delray Acura.

Good parts lists here.

There is a gasket set that includes the valve cover gaskets, spark plug seals and bolt/stud seals. P/N 12030-PR7-010. Costs $43.07 per set from Delray Acura.

Good parts lists here.

This is the most complete set for this job. Remember you need two sets, the "set" is for one valve cover;).

Regards,
LarryB

Spray some carb cleaner/breakcleen around the area to remove the oil. See where it starts to leak again.

I think the brake cleaner is a bad idea on anything that gets hot and you might smell the fumes. Lots of info on this site and others on the bad gases produced when brake cleaner is subjected to heat (hydrochlorides?)and even worse when subjected to heat and welding gases (phosgene). And before everyone jumps up and says he isn't welding for this repair, I am just trying relate just how nasty this stuff can be. I refuse to use it for anything, risk does not equal reward, YMMV.

I'd hate to see one of our members end up writing a lesser version of this link:

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
<!-- / message -->

Thanks everyone.
Looks like something that I would not be comfortable doing myself. The Nsx tech is about 1.5 hrs away. Would it be safe to drive it that far for repair?

Yes, but keep some motor oil in your trunk just in case. Keep an eye on the dipstick and make sure it is full before you leave.

I doubt you will even need it, but better safe then sorry.

Yes, but keep some motor oil in your trunk just in case. Keep an eye on the dipstick and make sure it is full before you leave.

I doubt you will even need it, but better safe then sorry.

Really appreciate all your help!!!

Im doing this service to my car right now. I have a leaky vtec spool valve. I also noticed my valve covers are leaking. Im replacing;

2 Valve cover gaskets
6 Spark plug tube seals
4 Cam plug seals
2 vtec solenoid filter/gasket
2 vtec solenoid o-ring/gasket

I purchases all the parts from Crown Acura

$103.49

Plus I'm doing a Valve adjustment while Im in there.

Back