• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Camber Issues???

42O

I have a problem that was supposed to have been corrected by my mechanic, after my car was lowered with the tein flex system, and new rims put on with spacers, new longer stud hub installed, the tires wore out real fast, im talking less than around 3,000 miles, and they are very good tires... Bridgestone G-FORCE - I do have turbo on my car and I understand that the tires are going to wear out more then normal, but still, only 3,000 miles with a brand new set???

Anyways, the problem is, it happened again...and this time it happened after I installed the Thom Ayotte camber correction hardware, I bought new tires, and the same result, the inners wore out real fast and down to the steal, and the outers were barely touched...so I paid another $500 for rear tires, I am running 17 in the front and 18 in the rear with... i believe 20 mm spacer, I could be wrong on that but I do have spacers to push it out alittle, so I ordered the more aggressive camber kit from Thom Ayotte, and it happened again....I had my alignment done, I do not know what to do about it, I am still waiting on new tires to come in, what should I do? My mechanic was supposed to have fixed the problem the first time, but now its happened again and even with the camber correction hardware installed...Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
What is the toe set at?

What is the toe set at?

I'm not 100% certain but it was negative something, I think -1.0 then I had the camber kit put on, everything looked good, lined up perfectly, sits right and looks correct, but the tire wear shows its riding on the inside of the wheel only pretty much. I think because I had longer studs installed and spacers put on it that more of the weight of the car is on the inner part of the tires, it needs to be pushed up some??

Last edited:
you need to know exactly,the toe if too severe will scrub your tire down more than the camber alone.

I just don't remember what the sheet said and I don't have that in front of me. Its just annoying having to keep order tires I want to get this fixed so it doesn't keep happening. I believe I'm going to have to have it re-aligned again and something adjusted.

The camber kit is only going to return your camber back to OEM. Match the improved camber with lower than OEM settings and your tire wear will increase exponentially.

It sounds like you have the early OEM alignment settings.

See charlies alignment printout to get an idea.

Then, next time you get an alignment tell the guy what you want, if he wont do what you ask, tell him you will be going somewhere else.

Front toe OEM is -0.10° to -0.18°, tell him you want it between -0.03° to -0.07°;

Rear toe OEM is 0.12° to 0.20°, tell him you want it between 0.03° to 0.07°

You will see huge improvements in tire longevity

Front toe OEM is -0.10° to -0.18°, tell him you want it between -0.03° to -0.07°;

Will these specs adversely effect handling and/or 'crispness' ?

As you approach zero toe you begin to lose 'crispness' to use your term.

It comes down to what you can live with.

Where is that number where the slack in the system is still overcome but there is the least amount of scrub to attain it?

With the OEM 15/16" rims and large sidewall tires you needed much more toe to place tension in the sidewall and all the components

If you have 17/17" 17/18" or 18/18" or 18/19" rims the sidewall is so much smaller that there is ~60-90% less flex and hence a reduced need for toe, and camber for that matter. So, the toe needed is reduced by the reduced sidewall flex.

where are you getting your car done around hilton head?? I took mine up to this no name shop and they did a great job. It was in beaufort tho....

The camber kit is only going to return your camber back to OEM. Match the improved camber with lower than OEM settings and your tire wear will increase exponentially.

It sounds like you have the early OEM alignment settings.

See charlies alignment printout to get an idea.

Then, next time you get an alignment tell the guy what you want, if he wont do what you ask, tell him you will be going somewhere else.

Well my mechanic had taken my ride to someone who had the alignment tools the first time after I got the camber kit and it looks like that guy didn't do his job right.

The new alignment was done himself, he had to borrow those alignment tools but they are set to -0.05 he said the right rear somehow was at
-1.6 and the left needed major adjustments also.

Anyhow I was just driving the car and everything seems great, it has new bfgoodrich g-force tires on it now and were going to be checking them out to see how the tread is wearing down, but the problem should be fixed, whoever he had align the car the first time screwed up pretty bad it appears. The car drives straight now when I gas it instead of pulling all over the place, everything should workout fine, appreciate the help.

Back