• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can anyone talk me out of Porsche?

I have been looking for a perfect 94-96 NSX manual for a while (long time, in fact). Although I have looked at several ones (most of them were in New England area), I haven't been able to make a committment to buy any of them since the condition wasn't right.

Over the weekend, I went to check out this 94 NSX that the dealer had just gotten. The dealer advertised it as a manual, but when I got there, I noticed that it was automatic. I was disappointed, but the dealer showed me this 99 996 C2 w/ 40k miles which they were selling for $42k. That is pretty much in the same ball park as in 94-95 NSX with the similar milege. I wasn't too excited about Porsche (everything is boring except for the distict Porsche sound), but everyone around me is telling me that I should go for 99 Porsche instead of 7-9 years old "Japanese" car that no one knows. My heart goes after NSX, but my brain tells me that 94-96 NSX will soon going to be a 10-year-old car.

I know that it's completely up to me at the end. However, I couldn't notice how cheap 99 996 Porsches are nowadays (they depreciated so much). If it was 97+ NSX, there would be no question about it. I am not sure how 94-96 NSX compares to 99 996.

I tend to keep the car for a long time (mimimum 4 years), and I am confused what to do.

Any comments would be appreciated. If this topic annoys any of you, I sincerely apologize.

Whats the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine.......

Just kidding.....

I just have one rhetorical question...How many Porsches do you see cruising around versus NSX's.

For me, this should be an easy answer!!!! How many 100K mile Porsches do you see around?

O.K. thats 2 rhetorical questions.

G

That's about the same reason I looked at an NSX over a Porsche. 911's and their cheaper cousin (boxter) are just too common around here. I see more porsches than Vette's(what I traded for my NSX).

On the other hand I was behind a new 911 TT yesterday, just a bit darker silver than my NSX. That's a sweat looking car. It does much more for me than a base 911. If you can find one of those for 40k....
smile.gif

You should go with the car that excites you the most. They are both excellent choices.

------------------
01' NSX-T Silverstone
02' Chevy Avalanche 1500
00' Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300
02' Honda VTX-1800
02' Aprilia Falco SL1000

Here are Pros and cons for you.

1. Looks - NSX
2. Speed - even? maybe edge on 99 Porsche
3. Brake - Porsche!
4. Reliability - NSX(I'm basing this upon what I hear, so please no flame)
5. Serviceability - NSX (more acura dealers around than Porsche...)
6. Exclusivity - NSX Not many people may not know about NSX but cool people usually want to know
smile.gif

So there! Buy NSX dammit! I suggest you broaden your search to nationwide.

If you are in the Boston area Baystate Motorsports has a 95 NSX red/black with 22k miles. It is in excellent condition. The price was a little high for me so I had them find a 91 for me. They were great to deal with. Check them out, even if you don't like the 95 they may be able to get you what you are looking for.

It took Porsche 30 years to make the 911 into a great car. Honda got it right on their first attempt. I know which company I want engineering my cars ....

Tiger740,

I may have a bit of insight into this one as I now currently own both an NSX (a 21,700 mile '91) as well as a new '02 Boxster S, and previously owned a '99 Porsche 996 Cabriolet.

Here's a few thing I can think of off the top of my head:

1) First off, the '99 model of the Porsche is the first year of the water cooled 911, and it had numerous problems that the '00's and later 996's didn't. Much better to buy a 2000 or later car.

2) The NSX is a more exotic (and better looking) car, and is something you'll not see very often when out driving, while you're more likely to see other 996's (and Boxster's) on the road. If you like that, buy the NSX.

3) I personally believe that the 996 would be the better of the 2 cars if you plan on using it as an everyday driver. It has a more upright driving position, is easier to see out of, and certainly has more useful torque down low than the NSX. If the car is to be a weekend driver, buy the NSX.

Tough call...If you really want a Porsche, I would recommend the Boxster S instead of the 996. Better handling, front and rear trunks, convertible, etc. Right now, a good friend of mine is buying a new '03 Boxster S, and is selling his '00 Boxster S for a nice price. It's Guards Red with Savannah Beige leather interior with the painted rollbar and center console, Sport Package, 18" "Rad" wheels, a hardtop and it has only 20,000 miles. It stickered for over $62,000, and he'll take $42,000. The dealer has offered him $41,000 real money.

E-mail me if you'd like his #.

Mike

Thank you so much for your help.
Over the long weekend, I making several trips to the dealer to test drive both NSX and Porsche back to back. My heart still beats for NSX. It's simply gorgeous, and its driving position, and the view of the road from inside are just amazing.

Also responding as a Past and present Porsche
owner. Like Mike said the reliability issues were mainly with the 99 models. The other cars have been known to be extremely reliable. The parts for the 911's are cheaper
than that of the NSX for the most part. The NSX probably wins on the overall reliability issue. The Porsche is a different car all together. The driving charachteristics are different. On the track I doubt the lines would be the same. The NSX is much more balanced IMO. The build quality on both are great, However the 99's (Porsche 996) and up are very skimpish when it comes to the quality of materials used for the interior.
The boxter is the same car to the back of the doors, It's advantage is the mid engine.
Even with the S- trim it is still not a better car than the 996 or the NSX. Again my opinion. I would buy an BoxterS for my wife.
If you really want to compare the NSX versus the Porsche, drive a 97-98 C2S or C4S, if you aren't going to mod it drive the 96 C4s, all of these are air cooled 3.6 ltr's rated at 272-282HP depending on where you read.
Warning to get even more HP it is very expensive with both cars. Both in stock trim can hold their own. They have the body of the 97-98 993TT, the suspension and the brakes. They are also at great price points now. The engine requires no valve adjustments. The cars are bullet proof as long as you get one that has been take care of. Having said all of that I now own an NSX
and I would buy it over everything porsche has up to a 996TT, unless the NSX was built in the same configuration. The NSX is just so
much easier to drive, The cost of service in some instances is expensive but from what I gathered, the frequency of service is not.
This is coming from someone that has spent 4k
in the last month on a car that I just bought. I am not mad, I have dropped numerous $$$ into the Porsche that is sitting next to it. To me the NSX is just a mix between the classic 911 and the 928GT.
It is an excellent sports car and grand tourer all in one car. Drive them both over a long period of time on the test drive.
Drive them in the manner that you would be driving most then decide. Iv'e owned 6 and the NSX gets the nod from me. At least until
the 996TT starts to depreciate.
Again like people have said. The NSX looks just downright beautiful. The 911's are now everywhere,if not it's a boxter. The only time I get to see a NSX is when a group of us gets together or I am looking at the glass
of the building that I am driving by. You'll
do that alot.
Price - same basically
Looks - NSX
Reliability - same
Build Quality - Edge to NSX
engineering - Both are damn good
Choice - Take your time and be sure either way you are going to have a very nice car.
Len

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 30 August 2002).]

Originally posted by JohnC:
You should go with the car that excites you the most. They are both excellent choices.

JohnC summed this up really well.

For most of us, buying a high-end sports car is not like buying other goods (for example, a television set or a laptop) where you can do a comparison by listing all the features of each, and picking the one that has the most items you're looking for. There's an emotional connection - not that you're emotionally attached to the car, but that there are intangibles, things such as styling, sound, and overall "feel" that make one car "feel right" and not another. Sometimes these differences are known from research and "gut feel", other times they only become known after extensive test drives.

Your case is very simple. The NSX excites you the most. Get the NSX. And don't "settle" for an automatic if you would really prefer a manual.

I think it's somewhat odd that you are looking for a '94-96, as though that were a single category. Most folks tend to prefer either a fixed-roof coupe, and look for a '91-94, or an NSX-T with the removable roof, and look for a '95-96 (or, if they're willing to pay a bit more, a '97 or later, which has numerous improvements over the '95-96). I would suggest you decide which body style you prefer, and concentrate on those years. The '94 tends to sell for upper thirties to very low forties, and the '95-96 tends to sell for low to mid forties. If you're looking for a '94, I would also look at the '93, which is virtually identical except for the color selection (added green, dropped silver) and larger wheels (worthwhile, but fairly easy to find a used set as well as aftermarket wheels).

Good luck.

I had a Porsche 928 for close to 9 years. I loved it, but sold it because I saw that it was just not economically justifiable keeping it maintained in top condition. In my opinion, Porsche builds their cars without giving much thought to ease of maintenance. They also select materials that do not hold up well over time. Dash cracks, torn leather, shrunk and faded trim is common. The 928 is known for electrical problems. It may qualify for the most complicated electrical system ever put into a car. Later models have no less than 8 computers and over a mile of wire. The fuse box under the passenger footwell (where it commonly gets damp and corrodes) is an awesome site to behold. Viewing it makes you ask one question; Why???? I think the answer must be... because they could.
Parts also seem preprogrammed to fail regardless of how well you maintain them.

Steering racks leak at about 40K miles. cost to replace is about $2700

Torque tube bearing go at about 70K miles.. cost to replace is about $2000

The LH Jetronic fuel computer fails at about 8-10 years. Cost to replace is about $1800

Usually the accessories are the first to go.. power seat motors, window lifts, switches, AC, etc. are cheaply made and do not befit the class of car they are installed into.

Also. Porsche is well known for having lousy factory support and for failing to step up to the plate and admit to design defects. Case in point. the design of the automatic transmission equipped 928 allows the torque tube to "slide" forward in its pinch collar. Over time, this puts forward pressure on the flywheel and thrust bearing. Eventually the thrust bearing wears and the crankshaft moves forward towards the front of the engine. When the counterweights hit the webs, the engine starts re-machining itself to death. I know of at least 50 or so cars that this happened to, all between 60 and 80K miles. This sure seems like a defect to me.. the factory doesn't want to hear about it and will do nothing.

Now... I am not bashing Porsche, or the 928. I think its one of the greatest cars ever. In some ways it performed better than my NSX. I wish I could have kept it, but I could have not afforded both. However, the above mentioned items are PART of what kept me from buying another Porsche. From what I hear and read, even the new ones still have problems. Also, I want to drive a car that is exclusive.. that’s part of the intangibles of ownership.. and its a large part. That’s why I chose a 928 in the first place.. they are uncommon. Even though I live in the small town of Lancaster PA, its common to see lots of Porsches around. The 996 is not at all rare here. I do, however have the only NSX in town. And yes.. I also bought it for reliability. I've always had beater cars for winter. And, I've always been impressed with the old Japanese "junkers" I've gotten at auction for $500 with over 150,000 miles on them, but still drove like new, had perfect dashes and uncracked interiors. It didn't surprise me when I read why Honda didn't put a full leather interior in the NSX... its because their testing showed them that it would not hold up over time. This shows that they care about how long their cars last.

Well.. I've ranted long enough. Those are my reasons for not buying a new Porsche.

btw.. soon after I got my NSX, I encountered a Yellow 996TT on the street. He flashed his lights and gave me a big thumbs up. That was pretty cool.
smile.gif
That’s part of the intangibles people talk about....

Good luck on whatever you choose.

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

I think NSXTACY said it best...the 911 looks like a frog. After I read that, I just cannot look at a 911 without thinking that it does! It really is shaped like a huge frog.

However, I would love to have a new 911TT as a backup car for my NSX (Just like one NSX owner I know from Athens)

One other point, unless you are having a sports car emergency (which I can completely identify with) wait and see what the next generation NSX has to offer. There is a chance that it will be a cheaper car with superior performance ( although I hope not as the owner of an early NSX ) Also, I know that the modern 911 is a wonderful car, but it is undeniably more common and less exotic
than the NSX.

You guys really talked me out of Porsche!

I just can't wait to pick up my own NSX. I work more than 80 hours per week (intense field), and it will mainly be my weekend car. I just have to find some time to make trips to see NSXs in other locations..
mad.gif
too bad that my work load wouldn't allow me to endow that travel arrangement.
frown.gif

Thank you so much for encouragement. I will keep looking!

I had 3 porsches before purchasing my NSX. My favorite by far was my 1988 928S4 5spd. The car was indestructible. I only had to take the car to the shop for new tires. Never broke down on my and I had it for 4 years. I do miss it and am going to buy another. I miss the torque of the Porsche, but do like my NSX.

Originally posted by JimK:
wait and see what the next generation NSX has to offer.

While this might be something to think about when considering buying a new NSX, I don't think this is much of a concern when shopping for a used NSX. The next-gen NSX is at least two years away. Why not enjoy NSXtasy
biggrin.gif
in the meantime with a used NSX on which someone else has already taken the big depreciation hit?

Originally posted by nsxlover:
I had 3 porsches before purchasing my NSX. My favorite by far was my 1988 928S4 5spd. The car was indestructible. I only had to take the car to the shop for new tires. Never broke down on my and I had it for 4 years. I do miss it and am going to buy another. I miss the torque of the Porsche, but do like my NSX.

I agree with NSXLOVER
I had the same luck with my 1988 928S4 5spd.
The earlier cars pre- 87 had all of the problems mentioned by Mike C.
I have a 89 gt now and you would have to pry it from me. Just like the NSX it gets all the
premium attention.
The NSX is my favorite. I wish I had gotten it sooner.

Len

Originally posted by Tiger740:
I just have to find some time to make trips to see NSXs in other locations..
mad.gif
frown.gif

You shouldn't need to do this.

Search nationwide. When you find one that sounds good and is in your price range, you can have it inspected by a knowledgeable NSX owner in the area and/or by a competent NSX mechanic in the area. (I highly recommend doing both.) You can locate either by asking around here on NSXprime, or send me an e-mail for a recommendation (I know a lot of the NSX folks around the country).

Once you've had it inspected and have agreed on a price, go for it! You can either have the car shipped, or fly one-way to pick it up and drive it back.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 30 August 2002).]

I just can't wait to pick up my own NSX. I work more than 80 hours per week (intense field), and it will mainly be my weekend car. I just have to find some time to make trips to see NSXs in other locations..
mad.gif
frown.gif

Go to the Porsche forums and they will talk you out of the NSX. Anyone with that kind of question about purchase should check all of their options, to be sure on the purchase.
JAO
Len

the NSX will easily get more attention, if thats what you want as well, slap some rims and lower it, you are turning ALOT of heads....if you want something only "car people" know what you have go with the porsche...to me even a 911 turbo needs nice rims, or even a body kit before it starts getting noticed like the NSX....

It was interesting to read how many ppl has had 928 before. I too had a 91 928GT and it was one of the sweetest car I've owned. I miss it and wish I hadn't sold it. I now have a 91 bl/bl nsx and I love it. Different car than the 928, but it has that exclusive feel since they are limited.

tiger740,
you will not regret getting a nsx.

Paul

At the time I bought my NSX in late 1990, I wanted to find out (before buying it) how much insurance would cost. My insurance agent told me the NSX wasn't coming up in their computer, so I asked him to get me an estimate for insurance cost for a new 928, figuring it was a close match in cost and capabilities.

After I went ahead with the purchase, I was pleased to find out that the cost of insurance for the NSX turned out to be only half that of the 928.

If you plan on buying a car for weekend duty only, like you say, definitely buy the NSX.

BTW, I agree and disagree with len 3.8's opinions on several things though:

1) I agree with Len on the idea of checking out Porsche sites. Definitely go to some Porsche sites to check out what 996 owners think. The sites to go to include www.rennlist.com and www.funcarsonline.com You'll get totally opposite answers to the question you pose of which car to buy, and you'll get perfectly logical reasons from those owners as to why the 996 is the better car (just like you did from NSX owners here as to why the NSX is the car to buy).

2) Re the Boxster S, Len doesn't seem to like it (it seems), and says it would be a good car for his wife. Ouch...

I've owned a black '60 356 Super 90 Cabriolet, a Gulf Blue '72 911T, a '74 Carrera, a Guards Red '83 911 Coupe, a white '83 911 Targa, a red '86 Coupe, a black '87 930 Turbo, a black '88 930 Turbo Cabriolet, a Carmine Red '88 Coupe, a black '97 Boxster, a Speed Yellow '98 C2S (with an Aerokit), a Guards Red '99 996 Cabriolet, and currently own a Speed Yellow Boxster S. Whew...

Without a doubt, the Boxster S is absolutely the best of all those Porsches I've owned over the years (even though I'd love to have the 930 Turbo Cab back). It is the most balanced car of the bunch. It is VERY comparable to the NSX whether or not anyone else here believes it (or not). Most car magazines have hailed the Boxster S as the premier sports car available on the market today, and for good reason. It's obviously not in the league of the 996 Twin Turbo and many others, but for the money you plan on spending, a used Boxster S @ $40,000 is a GREAT performance deal. If the car had 50 more hp, I'd consider it the BEST sports car anywhere (but then again, if it had 300 hp it would cannibalize 996 sales, and Porsche can't have that, can they???)

Just my 2 cents...(and I still love my NSX)

Mike

my advice, dont listen to what anyone else says and go with what will make you happy. you have to live with your decision, and not them.drive any car that even remotely interests you, and make your decision from there.

mad.gif
frown.gif

Great I only wish I could have talked my best friend out of buying his C-4 last week. Poor guy.
frown.gif

Back