• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can i get different RM exhaust tips?

Hey guys
I have an RM DTM exhaust ( dual tips that shoot up )

Im not a huge fan of the exhaust but it came with the car and i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get some tips from , to covert it to a " normal oval single tip" style exhaust- I heard RM went out of business from a couple of members on here

Any help would be great

Thanks,AJ

R/M was puirchased by Billy Boat (B&B)

You can contact them. (888) 598-3688
http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/nsx/

Its a great sounding exhaust. Very low rumble. I had one on my car.

acura-nsx-muffler.jpg

An exhaust shop in your location should carry a selection of tips. They can hack the old ones off and weld something new in place.

An exhaust shop in your location should carry a selection of tips. They can hack the old ones off and weld something new in place.

No need to get out the hack saw...just undo the V-Band clamps and clamp a new one on. He just needs to get the right bend radius so the exhaust comes out in the right spot.

Thought maybe it might be easier to see what B&B has.

I've been trying to do this for a year. I just wanted to buy a pair of the standard single tips but B&B is not cooperative. They asked for pictures and an original receipt (which I had in the file from the PO), then the guy told me "I'll see what I can do, but tips are a touchy subject here". Never heard back from them, even after multiple calls and e-mails trying to order them.

The problem with modifying the DTM tips is that they're not just a dual tip at the end of a bend. The bend comes off the muffler and is continuous to one of the dual outlets. The second outlet is nonfunctional and is just welded to the inside of the radius of the bent pipe. No way to just change the tip.

I'd swap my DTMs for singles if I could find anyone who wanted to do that; ran an ad for several months with no response.
Another solution would be as suggested above - a 90 degree bend of the right diameter, bend radius and lengths, with or without a tip.

Attachments

• B&Btip.jpg
    B&Btip.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
thanks for all the info guys!

I don't see why " B&B " couldn't just send over the tips for the non dual tips y know? but i will try them- if that dosnt work i know a good exhaust guy out here which was gonna be my solution anyways

Thanks again!

thanks for all the info guys!

I don't see why " B&B " couldn't just send over the tips for the non dual tips y know? but i will try them- if that dosnt work i know a good exhaust guy out here which was gonna be my solution anyways

Thanks again!

Yeah, you'd think so, but they're jerks about it. Let me know if you have any luck because I'd like a pair too.

I may have a fairly simple solution here. Just ordered a couple of stainless 3", 90 degree bends and a couple of 3" band clamps. Should be enough material to trim at the muffler end, but they may need tips added to get past the bumper, we'll see. I'll post the results.

The problem with modifying the DTM tips is that they're not just a dual tip at the end of a bend. The bend comes off the muffler and is continuous to one of the dual outlets. The second outlet is nonfunctional and is just welded to the inside of the radius of the bent pipe. No way to just change the tip.
Interesting, the dual tip pairs on our RM Racing muffler are both functional.
You can see that they are both open to exhaust flow on each side.......

Brian

Right, different design (looking for a pic). Here's a better pic from the Prime exhaust Wiki of the tips on my RM/B&B. The 2nd pipe is purely decorative.

Attachments

• rm_lttip.jpg
    rm_lttip.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 115
I guess RM Racing did different style tips. Mine don't look like the photo and all four tips are functional. I don't know why you couldn't just buy a 90 degree bend and angle cut the end for a tip :confused:.

Right, that's what I'm doing. Actually, it's not quite as simple as that. The muffler outlet is 3" OD, so for a bolt-on piece it would need to have a 3" pipe with a stepped inlet of 3" ID, plus the right length from the muffler the center of the radius, so the pipe would align with the CL of the exhaust outlets in the rear valance. Good luck finding anything close to that, especially in stainless. Hence the need for the band clamp. Also most 90's have legs that are too short for this application. After a lot of searching I found one source, should be OK on the muffler end but it still may be too short to get past the valance so it may need an extended tip added. One of those things that seems like a no-brainer until you get into it.

Weird about the different tips - I have the receipt from RM, definitely where it came from, and the instructions are from B&B. My muffler is exactly like the one in post 2 (pic from B&B site), except with the tips in post 10. I guess RM made their own with a different tip, before they were bought by B&B.

It would have been so nice to just buy the single tips from B&B.

Last edited:
I also have a RM with quad tips. I remember perusing the site a few years back and they offered the tips alone for something like 400 bucks. But, I think the tips have been discontinued for a while now.

They're out of business as far as I know.

I'll probably sell these dual tips after I get the new ones fabricated to my satisfaction.

I'm thinkin' these might do the trick. More pics after trimming and fitting, and it looks like they might be just right without an additional tip. I'll probably do a Scotchbrite pad brushed finish.

Attachments

• NSXPipes1.jpg
    NSXPipes1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 86
I'm thinkin' these might do the trick. More pics after trimming and fitting, and it looks like they might be just right without an additional tip. I'll probably do a Scotchbrite pad brushed finish.

I'd be interested to hear (no pun intended) if these tips change the sound. I really like the sound now (with the quad tips) and am not sure I would like it to change.

I'd be interested to hear (no pun intended) if these tips change the sound. I really like the sound now (with the quad tips) and am not sure I would like it to change.

I'll let you know, Pat. I like the sound now too, just don't care for the tips. I don't expect they'll sound much different, if at all. Same dual-out muffler, same tailpipe dia., same non-resonated design. But your quad tips are different from mine so who knows?

Wellll..... that didn't work. Two things:

I was completely wrong about these dual tips - both tubes ARE open. The exhaust pretty much bypasses the tube closest to the muffler and probably 90% of it goes out 1 tube, so one of the tips stays clean insode and the other one gets a layer of carbon. My bad.

The 3" pipes I bought have a slight reduction in diameter where the bend starts, which is right where the clamp needs to grip it. But the clamp bottoms out on the 3" outlet at the muffler so it can't grip this new tailpipe. The radius of these tubes is also a bit large so even with cutting it as far into the bend as I could, the tip isn't centered in the valance. SO - trim some more to get them centered and then have them welded on, I guess.

Damn.

Last edited:
RM Racing simply resold exhausts made by Billy Boat which are still in business. They offer (limited) lifetime warranty to original owner but for a fee non-original owners can send their exhaust in to be rebuilt. B&B can do modifications at your request (different tips, use more dampening material to quiet it down, etc) at that time.

Depending on where you are, shipping to them (in Phoenix) may or may not be prohibitive. "For a fee" has been $400-$600 in the past (vs. brand new at $1365 currently). Call 888-228-7435 extension # 15 to get an RGA
(return goods authorization) number and accurate quote for your situation before shipping.

Last edited:
You'd think they'd just sell a guy a pair of tips, wouldn't you? Just contacted them again with a new request, we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
I suppose I should be happy I got a speedy reply, but geez...

"Can you send me the system to fit the tips to? I can send you oval tips for roughly $350.00. Since all the systems are hand built I cant be sure they will fit perfectly unless I get the system back."

I guess they don't use jigs?!? Add probably $75-100 shipping both ways, $500-550 total? Seems excessive for a change of tips. I guess I'll pursue other solutions. First I'm going to run another ad to see if anyone wants to swap.

latzke - just replied to your PM but don't see it in my sent box. let me know if you don't receive it?

Back