• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can it be repaired or replaced?

hi guys
yesterday while i was parked at my friend house , some idiot backed up into my car leaving a long white scratch on the rear driver side quarter panel. Theres no dents and it doesnt look to deep. some of the clearcoating came off to. i was wondering if its easly repairable or should i replaced the whole rear 1/4 panel? inclosed is some pics of the damage tell me what do you think.

Attachments

• nsx panel.jpg
    nsx panel.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 190
  • nsx panel2.jpg
    nsx panel2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 192
  • nsx panel3.jpg
    nsx panel3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 181
if you are claiming off the other driver, then you can try for the panel to be replaced, though I think it'll be unlikely! if you are paying, give it a polish first, to remove the white paint, and then see how it looks. if there's no actual dent just paint blemish, one of the spot repairers should be able to sort it!

Why replacing a body panel if there is no dent in it. You'll only have trouble with the new fender not fitting perfectly if the body shop doesn't work perfectly. Give it a full polishing and see how it looks like. If it's not the way you like it to have give it a repaint.

it looks dented:frown: see the distortion around the
upper right air intake?? you do not apply a force like that, and
not get metal deformation... dent wizard, and repaint.
ask joe:biggrin:

I agree, it looks dented. I can see a crease. Sorry...

I would use some rubbing compound and wipe/buff out the white paint and see how it looks cleaned up. I'm pretty sure you're going to need to have a body shop repair and repaint it.

Btw, replacing the rear quarter panel is a pain! Just have it repaired by a good shop that has experience with alumnium.

Good luck,

Get estimates get money then decide....:cool:

My thoughts would be....

1. Get your estimates first. Let the body shop see the entire damage.

2. Review the NSX detailing section.

3. Do it yourself or have a detailer work the area.

4. After the detail work is finished, evaluate if the work fixes the issue to your satisfaction.

5. If not, persue the body shop option.

You can also use lacquer thinners to remove the white paint. Panel should be cool and in the shade before doing this. Use a piece of cloth and soak with a little thinners. Quickly wipe the white paint away, then apply some polish.

***Be careful as you can eventually soften the black paint which will remove its shine.

The detailing section will contain an opinion from many directions.

The first thing I purchased was a Porter Cable 7424 Random Orbit polisher. I found mine on ebay for $95.00 + shipping. I then ordered a velcro backing plate. You can get different size pads with velcro that make changing pads really easy. I use a 4" backing plate and pads.

Note there are different pads for different applications.

I use Pinnacle XMT Series. Swirl Remover #2 and #1, depending upon what's on the surface I'm working on. Their products can be found at www.pinaclewax.com

To use these products, you need the Porter Cable to do the work for you and produce the heat needed to make the product work. They have instructional video's on their website that really helped my understand how to use the PC and their products.

Again, don't bypass the detailing section here on NSX Prime.

I would only repaint it as a last resort. It is nearly impossible to get a 100% color match. Plus they will problably have to blend the rest of the panel to mask the problem. Try using a Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) first.

Try to polish it out. Use the LEAST aggressive polish compound first and move up to a more aggressive polish if it doesn't work. Try Scratch X from Megiures. Rub it pretty hard. It that doesn't work then try a rubbing compound.

It really shouldn't take to much effort to remove the paint. Your clear coat gives a good protection barrier and should allow easy removal. Again you do not want to use a product that is too aggressive and that will remove your clear coat. You simply want to remove the offending paint mark, not your clear coat.

If I'm not mistaken the top actually must be removed or partially removed to remove a quarter panel, {am I correct Z?} I'm sure there are some very reputable bodyshops that can repair vs's replace. Get all you can for the damage then have it repaired.

Back