• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can someone help me choose a wheel size? Specifically for Advans

Tire rack is crap. They list what they have in stock and want to sell.
Not true. In fact, the exact opposite is true, and this is what differentiates them from your typical tire retailer. When the Tire Rack agrees to carry a tire manufacturer's tires, they usually are contracted to stock all their tire models and sizes. That's why they have been somewhat slow in adding brands to their lineup, because when they commit to carrying a brand, they then carry ALL of that brand's tires.

Stuntman can probably answer how the PSS compares to the extreme category tires like the AD08R

Not true. In fact, the exact opposite is true, and this is what differentiates them from your typical tire retailer. When the Tire Rack agrees to carry a tire manufacturer's tires, they usually are contracted to stock all their tire models and sizes. That's why they have been somewhat slow in adding brands to their lineup, because when they commit to carrying a brand, they then carry ALL of that brand's tires.
Well maybe that was a little short handed. But I always research tires and buy elsewhere as tire rack is always higher cost than other suppliers. Just my point of view.

...nitto nt555 ... are actually really good tires. I know there are better but I'd buy them over yoko's any day.

Wow. The nt555 on my car when I bought it were complete junk compared to the Z2* I run now. Perhaps they were a few years old but the difference is not subtle. The Z2*, as others note, are comparable to the Yoko AD 08 R, which I had on my last NSX.

So what we need to do here gentleman is rally and pressure Michelin for a pss 215/35/18. I think we could do it. I'm not a vendor otherwise I'd already be on the phone wth their salesman.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. The nt555 on my car when I bought it were complete junk compared to the Z2* I run now. Perhaps they were a few years old but the difference is not subtle. The Z2*, as others note, are comparable to the Yoko AD 08 R, which I had on my last NSX.
See me, I swapped my yoko's on my 5 series for the same set of nitto's I bought for my X and wow! Ride comfort improved 40% handling and braking improved 50%. Different strokes for different folks I guess. But after owning yoko's for about 15 years I would never buy them again. They are sticky yes. The tread
Life is rediculously short and the ride quality is a match to boot. Just how I see em.

@Jinks, are you talking about AD 08 R?
To clarify, no I am not. I never had a set of yoko's on my nsx. Therefore,I cannot specify which type. I am just sharing my personal experience of owning other types from that specific manufacturer. All I know is that I would be first in line for a set of michelins for my car.

I don't think you're getting the point of comparing manufacturers isn't meaningful, they have a range of product lines that differ vastly.

So I have the advan rg3 on order from SOS in 18/19 spec which means they will float across the earth on a boat to my door step.
I figure I have plenty of time to research and ask all you good peeps here what's hot and what is not.
Future mods include brembo' and KW coils.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think you're getting the point of comparing manufacturers isn't meaningful, they have a range of product lines that differ vastly.
Understood. Nero, you have had tons of wheels and tires for sale. What do you prefer? I'd rather hear what you think then read it on tire rack.

For 18/19 Michelin PSS hands down in 225/265 widths. If you don't want to do 225 and remove your fender liners or perhaps just finned fan shrouds, then Sumitomo ZIII looks to be next best bet. I don't worry about tread life or noise because it's a pleasure only vehicle though, and I want grip and performance.

For 18/19 Michelin PSS hands down in 225/265 widths. If you don't want to do 225 and remove your fender liners or perhaps just finned fan shrouds, then Sumitomo ZIII looks to be next best bet. I don't worry about tread life or noise because it's a pleasure only vehicle though, and I want grip and performance.
Thanks Nero. I want it all. Looks, grip, ride comfort. I do not want compromise.

how about potenza re71-r? comes in 215/40/18 265/35/19

I actually have 17/18 RGIII w/ S Drive 215/40 and 265/35, rides ok, low noise decent grip for curvy roads, haven't tracked them or autocross, don't plan too.

I actually have 17/18 RGIII w/ S Drive 215/40 and 265/35, rides ok, low noise decent grip for curvy roads, haven't tracked them or autocross, don't plan too.
Pics please?
I have actually looked into these as well. They are actually harder to find then the pss. But on the radar as well. I really like the fit of the potenza.

Last edited:
Well maybe that was a little short handed. But I always research tires and buy elsewhere as tire rack is always higher cost than other suppliers.
My experience has been exactly the opposite, much of the time. I've bought a lot of tires over the years, thanks to having multiple cars, multiple weather seasons, and numerous track events. I shop around. When I know what I want to buy, I get it from the cheapest place I can find it. Maybe 40 percent of the time, the tire I want is slightly cheaper (usually by around $5-10/tire) at Discount Tire Direct (after taking shipping into account - they offer free shipping, Tire Rack doesn't), and that's where I get it; maybe 50 percent of the time, DTD doesn't have it and the Tire Rack is the least expensive place I can find it; and maybe 10 percent of the time, neither place has it and I get it elsewhere. (That last percentage was higher when Tire Rack didn't carry Toyo and I was buying Toyo track tires.) Tire Rack's prices are competitive, and it's extremely rare where they are higher than elsewhere by more than a few dollars a tire.

On those occasions when I don't know what I want (even after researching) and I need advice, I'll call up the Tire Rack and then buy the tires from them, since I'm using their advice. Their sales people are far more knowledgeable than any other place I've shopped.

Thanks Nero. I want it all. Looks, grip, ride comfort. I do not want compromise.
Then buy the Sumitomo HTR Z III. It's the best tire you can get in 215/35-18 and 275/30-19, and you won't have to worry about rubbing on the fender liners (or removing them, which leaves your fenders susceptible to "reverse dings" from stones getting kicked up).

That front size will definitely rub on the fender liners, and the rear size will slow you down (6 percent larger diameter than stock, and that's a lot). NOT a good idea.

To clarify, no I am not. I never had a set of yoko's on my nsx. Therefore,I cannot specify which type. I am just sharing my personal experience of owning other types from that specific manufacturer. All I know is that I would be first in line for a set of michelins for my car.
Then you really don't understand anything at all about tires. I don't know if you're just being stubborn or ignorant. Again - EVERY MAJOR TIRE MANUFACTURER MAKES DIFFERENT TIRES FOR DIFFERENT PURPOSES. Yokohama makes some very sticky street tires (AD08R) and yet you base your opinion of that brand on some other tire used on some other car. And guess what - Michelin makes some street tires whose performance is not very good, because they are designed to maximize other characteristics rather than just grip. By ignoring these facts, you're short-changing yourself of the possibility of getting the best tires for your needs. Too bad for you.

Last edited:
Again, certain tire manufactures make particular model tires that are suited for us and also certain models that don't. I'm not up to date with 18/19 tire selections but what Nero I think said above or ken has said is more than enough advice without doing something drastic or crazy to your car.

You guys are awesome and knowledgable. I am trying not to be condescending here, but tire rack is not God. There are sizes in 225/35/18 in a Michelin pss from multiple suppliers I know. They are even listed in michelins website. They also make a 275/30/19. My question is, who's got em?
Tire Rack is the BEST source of information when trying to "Properly Size Your Tires". Judging by your comments, I don't think you have a handle on what is said in the article in Post #13

I know nsxtasy didn't read the article, but some important cliff notes:

-UTQG is USELESS
-Treadwear ratings are USELESS
-Tire "A" in a 255 can be WIDER than Tire "B" in a 275. You have to look at Section & Tread Widths of a tire, NOT the stated 'mm' widths. Only Tire Rack measures this.

Well, a lot of 225/35-18 tires rub on the NSX fender liners, even on those with stock suspension and even more so on lowered NSX's. Here's how the Pilot Super Sport sizes compare with the 215 on a '91-93 NSX:

Stock: 205/50-15 and 225/50-16, rear is 7.8% larger
215/35-18 and 275/30-19, rear is 6.6% larger
225/35-18 and 265/30-19, rear is 4.4% larger
225/35-18 and 275/35-19, rear is 9.8% larger

Remember, the Pilot Super Sport doesn't come in a 275/30-19, so even though you're going bigger in the front than the usual 18"/19" sizes, for a 30 profile rear you need to go with the smaller 265/30-19 in the rear. That will cause TCS problems - maybe not immediately, but as the rear tires start to wear down, for sure. (*** EDIT *** - Apparently it DOES come in a 275/30-19, as noted in my follow-up post below. And the 275/30-19, used with the 225/35-18 front, would probably not cause TCS problems. But there's still a possible rubbing issue with that size. I know most other 225/35-18 tires will rub on the NSX front, but you'd have to try out the Pilot Super Sport to verify whether or not it does.)

As I mentioned, you could also get 275/35-19 in the rear. However, even though that will be okay for the TCS, that's really quite a bit larger in diameter than stock (by about 7 percent). Even if it doesn't rub (and it might), the effect is like putting taller gearing on your car, which will hurt acceleration.
It really depends on what year NSX and what programming differences (if any) they did to the ABS/TC.

91-93
205/50-15 = 23.1"
225/50-16 = 24.9" = Rear 7.9% larger

94-01
215/45-16 = 23.6"
245/40-17 = 24.7" = Rear 4.6% larger

02-05
215/40-17 = 23.8"
255/40-17 = 25" = Rear 5.4% larger

Without knowing more on the ABS/TC programming, I feel if you keep the front to rear diameters within 4.6% to 7.9%, you'll be okay.

Having said that, a common track setup is:

235/40-17 = 24.4"
275/35-18 = 25.6" = Rear 4.9% larger

The 235/40-17 has a 0.8" larger outer diameter than the largest factory tire size, 0.4" larger radius and will rub the fender liners, but with a more track-oriented/aggressive front camber, this is reduced. Removing the fender liners makes this setup streetable at the expense of no liners.

225/35-18 = 24.2"
265/30-19 = 25.3" = 4.6% Larger

A 225/35-18 = 24.2"
275/30-19 = 25.5" = Rear 5.4% Larger

*The 225/35-18 is 0.4" larger in diameter and will raise the car less than 1/4" over the stock 215/40-17 while being 0.2" smaller in diameter than the commonly used 235/40-17. The 265/30-19 seems like a great choice to keep the OD down at 25.3" which is less than half an inch (and 1.6% larger) than the 91-93 NSX's 24.9" OD rear tire. The 275/30-19 is a little larger but I still don't think it will be significant or a concern from a gear ratio standpoint.

So my recommendation given your "want it all" needs of performance, ride, comfort, and longevity is a PSS in the 225/35-18 and either 265 (or 275)/30-19 rear, depending on the width of your wheels.

Would you consider the Pilot Super Sport a direct competitor with the Z2 and/or the AD08R? Or is more like a NT05?
Take this with a grain of salt because it's a autoX/test track, but the Michelin's 1-2 results in the wet/dry skidpad and wet/dry lap times backs up my personal experiences with the PSS vs all the tires listed here (which i've driven on except the S04).

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...mmer-performance-tires-tested-comparison-test
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/monsters-of-grip-nine-summer-performance-tires-tested.pdf

The PSS is a competitve to the AD08/RS3 in lighter cars like the NSX. The RS3/SS/AD08s with their large tread blocks really shine on heavy cars that are under-tired:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1401-the-best-200-treadwear-tires-test/

If you're tracking a heavy M3 with narrow tires, an RS3/SS/08 will be faster than a PSS, but on a lighter Porsche or NSX, I don't think you'll see as big of a difference. If you're trying to break track records, I probably wouldn't go with the PSS, but if you can't get 100% out of your car from a driving standpoint, and if you don't feel like you'll use the car more than 25% of the time on track, and rain performance and ride quality is remotely important to you, go with the PSS.

The PSS is one of my all time favorite tires and is also a LIGHT tire, which further improves ride quality and performance.

Last edited:
Guys, just want to thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience on tires. Many of us don't have the time or money to test these all so, like me, I need to heavily rely on trusted opinions.

Billy/@stuntman that's a huge compliment to the PSS. I will take note!

Sounds like pss is the winner.
Thanks for all of the info here guys.

Sounds like pss is the winner.
I wouldn't say so at all. Because you're still probably going to be dealing with rubbing on the fender liners in front (just like you would with a 235/40-17). That may not matter on the track... but then again, if you're getting a tire with a big concern for track use, you'd be better off still with an extreme performance tire or, even better yet, an R compound tire (which means you probably wouldn't want 18"/19" wheels).

My experience has been exactly the opposite, much of the time. I've bought a lot of tires over the years, thanks to having multiple cars, multiple weather seasons, and numerous track events. I shop around. When I know what I want to buy, I get it from the cheapest place I can find it. Maybe 40 percent of the time, the tire I want is slightly cheaper (usually by around $5-10/tire) at Discount Tire Direct (after taking shipping into account - they offer free shipping, Tire Rack doesn't), and that's where I get it; maybe 50 percent of the time, DTD doesn't have it and the Tire Rack is the least expensive place I can find it; and maybe 10 percent of the time, neither place has it and I get it elsewhere. (That last percentage was higher when Tire Rack didn't carry Toyo and I was buying Toyo track tires.) Tire Rack's prices are competitive, and it's extremely rare where they are higher than elsewhere by more than a few dollars a tire.

On those occasions when I don't know what I want (even after researching) and I need advice, I'll call up the Tire Rack and then buy the tires from them, since I'm using their advice. Their sales people are far more knowledgeable than any other place I've shopped.

Then buy the Sumitomo HTR Z III. It's the best tire you can get in 215/35-18 and 275/30-19, and you won't have to worry about rubbing on the fender liners (or removing them, which leaves your fenders susceptible to "reverse dings" from stones getting kicked up).

That front size will definitely rub on the fender liners, and the rear size will slow you down (6 percent larger diameter than stock, and that's a lot). NOT a good idea.

Then you really don't understand anything at all about tires. I don't know if you're just being stubborn or ignorant. Again - EVERY MAJOR TIRE MANUFACTURER MAKES DIFFERENT TIRES FOR DIFFERENT PURPOSES. Yokohama makes some very sticky street tires (AD08R) and yet you base your opinion of that brand on some other tire used on some other car. And guess what - Michelin makes some street tires whose performance is not very good, because they are designed to maximize other characteristics rather than just grip. By ignoring these facts, you're short-changing yourself of the possibility of getting the best tires for your needs. Too bad for you.

Thanks for the advice. As for being ignorant or arrogant, I am here asking questions on tires am I not? Maybe back off a little. I'm not here calling you an idiot when I repeatedly told you pss comes in the sizes you swore to God didn't. Relax.
Im asking questions here on lots of things.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Tire Rack is the BEST source of information when trying to "Properly Size Your Tires". Judging by your comments, I don't think you have a handle on what is said in the article in Post #1 3

I know nsxtasy didn't read the article, but some important cliff notes:

-UTQG is USELESS
-Treadwear ratings are USELESS
-Tire "A" in a 255 can be WIDER than Tire "B" in a 275. You have to look at Section & Tread Widths of a tire, NOT the stated 'mm' widths. Only Tire Rack measures this.

It really depends on what year NSX and what programming differences (if any) they did to the ABS/TC.

91-93
205/50-15 = 23.1"
225/50-16 = 24.9" = Rear 7.9% larger

94-01
215/45-16 = 23.6"
245/40-17 = 24.7" = Rear 4.6% larger

02-05
215/40-17 = 23.8"
255/40-17 = 25" = Rear 5.4% larger

Without knowing more on the ABS/TC programming, I feel if you keep the front to rear diameters within 4.6% to 7.9%, you'll be okay.

Having said that, a common track setup is:

235/40-17 = 24.4"
275/35-18 = 25.6" = Rear 4.9% larger

The 235/40-17 has a 0.8" larger outer diameter than the largest factory tire size, 0.4" larger radius and will rub the fender liners, but with a more track-oriented/aggressive front camber, this is reduced. Removing the fender liners makes this setup streetable at the expense of no liners.

225/35-18 = 24.2"
265/30-19 = 25.3" = 4.6% Larger

A 225/35-18 = 24.2"
275/30-19 = 25.5" = Rear 5.4% Larger

*The 225/35-18 is 0.4" larger in diameter and will raise the car less than 1/4" over the stock 215/40-17 while being 0.2" smaller in diameter than the commonly used 235/40-17. The 265/30-19 seems like a great choice to keep the OD down at 25.3" which is less than half an inch (and 1.6% larger) than the 91-93 NSX's 24.9" OD rear tire. The 275/30-19 is a little larger but I still don't think it will be significant or a concern from a gear ratio standpoint.

So my recommendation given your "want it all" needs of performance, ride, comfort, and longevity is a PSS in the 225/35-18 and either 265 (or 275)/30-19 rear, depending on the width of your wheels.

Take this with a grain of salt because it's a autoX/test track, but the Michelin's 1-2 results in the wet/dry skidpad and wet/dry lap times backs up my personal experiences with the PSS vs all the tires listed here (which i've driven on except the S04).

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...mmer-performance-tires-tested-comparison-test
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/monsters-of-grip-nine-summer-performance-tires-tested.pdf

The PSS is a competitve to the AD08/RS3 in lighter cars like the NSX. The RS3/SS/AD08s with their large tread blocks really shine on heavy cars that are under-tired:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1401-the-best-200-treadwear-tires-test/

If you're tracking a heavy M3 with narrow tires, an RS3/SS/08 will be faster than a PSS, but on a lighter Porsche or NSX, I don't think you'll see as big of a difference. If you're trying to break track records, I probably wouldn't go with the PSS, but if you can't get 100% out of your car from a driving standpoint, and if you don't feel like you'll use the car more than 25% of the time on track, and rain performance and ride quality is remotely important to you, go with the PSS.

The PSS is one of my all time favorite tires and is also a LIGHT tire, which further improves ride quality and performance.

Thanks for the great information.
I worded an earlier post wrong, I meant to say I research the tires from tire rack, then usually buy elsewhere/directly from local suppliers. I think there is a lot to say about the pss since they are the #1 choice on tire rack out of 30. Plus they are Oem equipment for countless high end muscle. Porsche, Ferrari, ect. I have been trying to contact Michelin to try and get some 215 sizes maybe in a bulk order. (Wishing,hoping)

Has to be 225/35/18 if you get it done btw. Let us know what they say.

Not sure if this will help anyone but here's my current plan.

Disclaimer:
My NSX sees about 25% track time with the balance of the 75% - driving to/from the track, driving 200 miles every other wknd which can sometimes be a grueling commute, driving the car as primarily a GT car up the coast and thru canyons on wknd. It's really a MIXED-USE sportscar. It saw a decent amount of wet/damp/cool conditions this year so I need a tire that can handle 45-50 degs and not be too skittish. I don't need it to be amazing in poor conditions, which I feel my current Continental DW excels well at, but it lacks the outright dry grip of a Z2 or equivalent. I don't care about tread life to be honest but I care about grip, comfort, and noise suppression. Again, I think Cup 2s would have been my ideal tire and just so happens to also have excellent treadlife among it's peers.. In terms of track performance, I don't need all out speed at the track. Just something fun, confidence inspiring, consistent, and predictable.

Plan A:

With that said, I currently have 2 sets of 17/18 wheels in optimal NSX sizing. I will continue to keep my DOT R-Comp tires for the 25% track which will go on one set of wheels. The other set of wheels I had planned on picking up Z2s or AD08Rs for and sell the DWs.

Plan B:
I am now looking at purchasing a lightweight 18/19 to consider the PSS but i'm still on the fence between the 18/19 PSS or the 17/18 Z2/AD08r. The only reason i'd consider 18/19 is strictly due to tire choices. I don't like the bigger look. I don't like the extra height. I don't like the skinnier sidewall. However, if the PSS is my only choice here... not to mention the front tires seem slightly elusive, I don't see this choice as being worth it.

I would love to get to a point where swapping between track tires vs. street tires wasn't necessary. For my usages, the Michelin Cup 2's would have been perfect for street/track with some sacrifice for wet conditions. I'd be fine with that. For now it seems no matter which choice I go with, I'm stuck with 2 sets or "live with" a set of Z2s, which are loud, not that comfortable, but seems to be ok in wet, and sticky enough for track use but apparently not as sticky as Cup 2s (is this true btw?)

[MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION],
So going off of section width, the pss in a 225/18 measure 8.4 inches.
Respectively, a Yokohama s drive in a smaller 215/18 is even wider at 8.6 inches. Also, Sumitomo z111 215/18 are 8.2 which isn't very far off from 8.4 width.
That being said, they shouldn't rub on a full lock? I'm going to measure my nitto's section width next time they are off, if it is 8.4 or more then it sound like rubbing will not be an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Has to be 225/35/18 if you get it done btw. Let us know what they say.
The pss in a 224/35/18 is in stock right now at tire rack. There are nine left.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if this will help anyone but here's my current plan.

Disclaimer:
My NSX sees about 25% track time with the balance of the 75% - driving to/from the track, driving 200 miles every other wknd which can sometimes be a grueling commute, driving the car as primarily a GT car up the coast and thru canyons on wknd. It's really a MIXED-USE sportscar. It saw a decent amount of wet/damp/cool conditions this year so I need a tire that can handle 45-50 degs and not be too skittish. I don't need it to be amazing in poor conditions, which I feel my current Continental DW excels well at, but it lacks the outright dry grip of a Z2 or equivalent. I don't care about tread life to be honest but I care about grip, comfort, and noise suppression. Again, I think Cup 2s would have been my ideal tire and just so happens to also have excellent treadlife among it's peers.. In terms of track performance, I don't need all out speed at the track. Just something fun, confidence inspiring, consistent, and predictable.

Plan A:

With that said, I currently have 2 sets of 17/18 wheels in optimal NSX sizing. I will continue to keep my DOT R-Comp tires for the 25% track which will go on one set of wheels. The other set of wheels I had planned on picking up Z2s or AD08Rs for and sell the DWs.

Plan B:
I am now looking at purchasing a lightweight 18/19 to consider the PSS but i'm still on the fence between the 18/19 PSS or the 17/18 Z2/AD08r. The only reason i'd consider 18/19 is strictly due to tire choices. I don't like the bigger look. I don't like the extra height. I don't like the skinnier sidewall. However, if the PSS is my only choice here... not to mention the front tires seem slightly elusive, I don't see this choice as being worth it.

I would love to get to a point where swapping between track tires vs. street tires wasn't necessary. For my usages, the Michelin Cup 2's would have been perfect for street/track with some sacrifice for wet conditions. I'd be fine with that. For now it seems no matter which choice I go with, I'm stuck with 2 sets or "live with" a set of Z2s, which are loud, not that comfortable, but seems to be ok in wet, and sticky enough for track use but apparently not as sticky as Cup 2s (is this true btw?)
I have not yet tracked my car but I will in the very near future. I want a tire that I can drive to the track then drive home on unless I catch the track bug and really get into it. I really dig the large wheels with skinny tires look on the nsx.
The only reason I didn't go with the 17/18 was my choice of color on the rg in gloss black. I wanted a much larger wheel if going gloss black so it doesn't get washed out in tire. That may sound stupid, but it was my choice.
I really want to run the pss. Even if they rub just slightly on full lock, I think I would still go that route though I'd like not to rub.

I meant 215 in my last post- but I think 225 and removing the fan shroud will work just fine. That's what I will be doing once I finally do my hamann wheel build. I already bought the tires

Last edited:
Back