• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can someone help me choose a wheel size? Specifically for Advans

I meant 215 in my last post- but I think 225 and removing the fan shroud will work just fine. That's what I will be doing once I finally do my hamann wheel build. I already bought the tires
Have you fitted the pss 225 already? What was the rubbing if any like? Did you absolutely have to remove the fender liners?

No but I ran that size a long time ago. It tears up the fan shroud directly in front of the tires. I don't remember much damage of the liners but it may be present minimally. Try and leave them in so you don't get any rocks kicked up.

Not sure if this will help anyone but here's my current plan.

Disclaimer:
My NSX sees about 25% track time with the balance of the 75% - driving to/from the track, driving 200 miles every other wknd which can sometimes be a grueling commute, driving the car as primarily a GT car up the coast and thru canyons on wknd. It's really a MIXED-USE sportscar. It saw a decent amount of wet/damp/cool conditions this year so I need a tire that can handle 45-50 degs and not be too skittish. I don't need it to be amazing in poor conditions, which I feel my current Continental DW excels well at, but it lacks the outright dry grip of a Z2 or equivalent. I don't care about tread life to be honest but I care about grip, comfort, and noise suppression. Again, I think Cup 2s would have been my ideal tire and just so happens to also have excellent treadlife among it's peers.. In terms of track performance, I don't need all out speed at the track. Just something fun, confidence inspiring, consistent, and predictable.

Plan A:

With that said, I currently have 2 sets of 17/18 wheels in optimal NSX sizing. I will continue to keep my DOT R-Comp tires for the 25% track which will go on one set of wheels. The other set of wheels I had planned on picking up Z2s or AD08Rs for and sell the DWs.

Plan B:
I am now looking at purchasing a lightweight 18/19 to consider the PSS but i'm still on the fence between the 18/19 PSS or the 17/18 Z2/AD08r. The only reason i'd consider 18/19 is strictly due to tire choices. I don't like the bigger look. I don't like the extra height. I don't like the skinnier sidewall. However, if the PSS is my only choice here... not to mention the front tires seem slightly elusive, I don't see this choice as being worth it.

I would love to get to a point where swapping between track tires vs. street tires wasn't necessary. For my usages, the Michelin Cup 2's would have been perfect for street/track with some sacrifice for wet conditions. I'd be fine with that. For now it seems no matter which choice I go with, I'm stuck with 2 sets or "live with" a set of Z2s, which are loud, not that comfortable, but seems to be ok in wet, and sticky enough for track use but apparently not as sticky as Cup 2s (is this true btw?)
The MPSC2 is very close to a racing slick and is not very good in the wet. I wouldn't want to be caught in any appreciable amount of rain on them. Sounds like the PSS is a better option for your needs. No the Z2 is not as fast as a MPSC2, but I don't think it would be much faster than a PSS on a light car.

[MENTION=16531]stuntman[/MENTION],
So going off of section width, the pss in a 225/18 measure 8.4 inches.
Respectively, a Yokohama s drive in a smaller 215/18 is even wider at 8.6 inches. Also, Sumitomo z111 215/18 are 8.2 which isn't very far off from 8.4 width.
That being said, they shouldn't rub on a full lock? I'm going to measure my nitto's section width next time they are off, if it is 8.4 or more then it sound like rubbing will not be an issue.
EDIT:
8.4" is the TREAD width, not section width.

I have not run a 215/35-18. I'm sure it will depend on the wheel width, offset, and the amount of camber you run. Given the section width (0.2" off the Z111's 215) I would feel a lot more confident - but again, a lot depends on your offset and width.

EDIT: the above is somewhat invalid without knowing the section widths as well.

Last edited:
I am still waiting to hear back from Michelin. I'd love it if we can persuade them to make a limited run of 215/35/18 for the nsx. If not, I may just buy the 225/35/18 fronts only and see how they perform or if they rub prior to purchasing the rears. I stressed the fact of our cars performance and the need for a small front tire. Hopefully, they listen. Fingers crossed.

Oh sh!t l, you are right. I missed that. I cannot find the width anywhere. They are new at tire rack, maybe they will have an answer soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Those wheels look perfect on an nsx. Easy to clean the inside wheel and brakes too.
Eagerly waiting to see the 18/19 set up on mine.

Last edited:
I feel compelled to plug the Conti DW's. It was a downpour last night. I did 100 miles of driving in the NSX and it was a blast. These tires are sticky and predictable. Very confidence inspiring even thru large standing puddles. Not to mention I'm REALLY REALLY loving my JRZ dampers right now. What an amazing setup on this car. Springs, sway bar everything. I really felt like Senna last night lol

DWs are awesome tires on a DD and are similar in wet performance as the PSS, although the PSS is a good amount faster and more durable (holds up better on track with its larger tread blocks) in the dry.

Jinks,

What happened to doing something wild? I seem to remember this other thread you started...I was hoping someone would photoshop this on our cars at least. :biggrin:http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/192918-Any-thoughts-on-these-wheels

attachment.php

Jinks,

What happened to doing something wild? I seem to remember this other thread you started...I was hoping someone would photoshop this on our cars at least. :biggrin:http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/192918-Any-thoughts-on-these-wheels

attachment.php
Yes, I had my eye on these big time. But then I saw another black nsx with rg3's at a local meet. I had to have them.
The good thing about the Advans, if I do not like them they will sell fast as hell here on prime. Therefore, I purchased.
I could not find enough info on these wheels and I am lazy. So, I held off.
I still think these would look 38 hot on a nsx. I think I need more experience with sizes/offsets prior to pulling a trigger.
But they are still in the back of my mind.:cool:

I thought the Conti DW doesn't come in the right sizes any more. Is that wrong?
Mine are old Jason. Not sure if they are still available in NSX sizes.
The Continental ExtremeContact DW is no longer available in any of the common front sizes (205/50-15, 205/45-16, 215/45-16, 215/40-17, 215/35-18), but is still available in almost all of the common rear sizes (225/50-16, 245/40-17, 255/35-18, 265/35-18, 265/30-19, 275/30-19, just not 255/40-17).

I think a

225/35-18 Front
265/30-19 or 275/30-19 Rear

Wouldn't be a bad idea. The only downside is the 225/35-18's 3.1" sidewall (vs. 3.39" for the stock 215/40-17 or 3.7" for the 235/40-17 & 235/40-18, while the 225/40-18 has a 3.54" sidewall.

On another note, for a widebody car, I am really liking the:

245/35-18 = 24.8" OD & 3.38" sidewall
295/30-18 = 26" OD or
305/30-18 = 26.2" OD

PSS & DWs run in the above sizes. Food for thought.

These came in today, boy that 16 week wait took only 2 from ordering. These are sick, cannot wait to put them on.
attachment.php

Back