• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can you do anything to prevent tears in leather?

I just noticed today that the seam on the driver side seat is starting to go. I believe it's called the driver side bolster? I'm probably mixed up on terminology. But I noticed that I can start to see the foam underneath. It hasn't pulled completely open yet. Is this something I could have someone stitch up? Or should I just let it go and then reupholster the seats? I tried doing a search but didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure you can fix it, there are leather restoration and repair kits available you could try but not sure how well they fix tears. If not your choices are to replace the effected panel or reupholster the whole seat. Depends on how bad the rest of your seats are or aren't.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/before_after.htm

Last edited:
I work with leather. Post a pic. Most cars are double stitched so the "seam" that is in the center between the stiches is the important one.
They are sewn with a machine but may be repaired by hand...depending.

Put your right foot in the car, turn you bottom in (not on the seat) put your left hand on the door garnisch when getting in the car for support in stead of sliding on the seat.

Back