• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can you get a speeding ticket even if you are not in your car?

Saying nothing is better than lying. You don't have to answer questions except you probably have to give the police your name.

Last edited:
1. Police deals with people who lies all day long. You can't get away with it. It just raises suspicion.

2. If it comes down to your word against an officer's.. you will ALWAYS loose. They don't just pick on someone out of shear boredom. They either saw you doing what you said you did, or think that you fit that perp's description.

3. What kind of ticket is it? Is it for speeding (10-15 over) or for your nitrous?

I think next time it might be better to just pull over and try to talk your way out of the noise ticket man!

You went from a simple vehicle violation to The Running Man in the space of a taco stand! LOL

Right now some guy in a trailer is beating his wife, cooking meth, and screaming at his kids while you are getting ganged up on by the police for having a loud exhaust. Is this what my tax dollars are being spent on? Awesome...

In regards to BBoxer's comment about cops needing continuous contact: a few years ago I was on the jury of a man on trial for drunk driving. He claimed the same thing, no continuous contact as he speed into his apartment parking right in front of a motorcycle cop who had stopped someone on the street. Because he said the cop lost sight of him for a couple of seconds (long enough for him to park) he claimed they got the wrong guy. The fact that the car pursued was only one in lot like that, hot engine and his and he was walking away drunk was enough for us to convict him. Heck, one of the jurors had also been convicted of DUI and he was first one to vote guilty.

I'm constantly amazed by people who don't take responsiblity for their actions. Shows a real lack of character. Owning an NSX or any hipo car is a privilege and responsibility and you cast a pall over other exotic car owners with childish behavior. Makes us look like spoiled brats.

I got a ticket when I first bought my NSX-50 in 35 zone. Paid the fine, it's over.

IMHO the original poster and those who support his attitude should grow up.

I don't want to sound like a jerk but if you did something bad enough to warrant parking the car and walking away you know you did something wrong. The situation that followed was probably just a reaction to the way you were behaving, even if it wasn't right/legal. Every encounter I've ever had with police has always been respectful and polite on both sides, whether I was doing something wrong or not.

I'm constantly amazed by people who don't take responsiblity for their actions.

I got a ticket when I first bought my NSX-50 in 35 zone. Paid the fine, it's over.

Was in the same boat about 12 years back with another car (50 in a 35 zone to pass a car moving at 25 when the flow was about 40). I went to traffic school for that. I knew I was speeding, the officer knew I was speeding; there was no need for me to tell the judge I wasn't speeding. Sometime when you want to play, you have to pay. Close the loop and move on.

Last edited:
Right now some guy in a trailer is beating his wife, cooking meth, and screaming at his kids while you are getting ganged up on by the police for having a loud exhaust. Is this what my tax dollars are being spent on? Awesome...

Thats my whole point. ^^^
Why bother me? I wasnt really speeding as I never got that far to speed or I would of been, yes my exhaust is loud( just like lot of you guys ). And No they didnt pull me over I pulled over and I even walked almost 2 blocks before they figured hey looks like that guys we saw few minutes ago with the loud exhaust.

I love NSX prime we have bunch knuckle heads holyier than thou mofo's. LOL Like none you guys ever lie to get out a ticket:rolleyes:.

Was I driving? Yes
Can the cops prove I was ? NO
Was I speeding? no, I was planning to but didnt get there as I saw they cops pulled over up ahead and they werent in thier car, he was outside.
Did I know they will mess with me anyway so I pulled over and just parked my car? YEs
Was I caught few blocks away trying to eat and to avoid them? Yes
Did I pull over real quick and got out the car to make sure they dont bother me? YEs
Because I know the cops in this town will pull you over for anything whatsoever.
Did the police catch me fair and square? No
Did they lie to me to get information? Yes
So since I knew they were lying, did I just choose to not give them the information they were looking for? Yes
Is it within my rights to tell them nothing? YEs
Was I being a jerk to them because they were being jerks to me? YEs
Do I have a problem with police authority ? Yes, I dont think they are gods and they should play by the same rules as us. If you can lie to me to get information from me, I can choose to tell you nothing.

Last edited:
Just get a traffic attorney to take care of it. It sounds like a easy case for them to win.

Thanks. I allready did and my attorney is one of the best in the area. This all happened a block from his office.
The cops thought hey look, he looks young and like a thug, he must be selling drugs lets give him a hard time and see what hes upto. And it happens all the time and I fight them everytime. Most of you like to bend over and take it. I rather fight them till I bend thier arse over. The cops cant do sh!t to anyone, All they can do is take some money away from you. So why be so scared:rolleyes:. " oh no it the cops/police we better be on our p's and q's or they will ticket me lol"

Its easier for most of you old farts lol as the cops know you are nerds/techies and just going to work or home from work. I'm out and about all the time, all over having fun at all the hot events in the bay area. And I look and dress young so they always wonder and like to bother me. I can change so they wont. But why should I ?

Last edited:
They gave me a speeding ticket, and also to go see the state referee for nitrous.
My whole point is and the reason for my post is:
Is it legal for them to give me speeding ticket they didnt see me do but didnt catch me do but heard my loud exhaust so it he had to be speeding?

So can they see you speeding going the other way on the freeway and than 2 hrs later they show up at your work and write you a ticket? With no pacing, no radar, no real evidence on how fast you were going, etc?

I am sure if I was nice to them they probably would of been much easier on me, But regardless I shouldnt have to kiss another mans arse, just so I can keep my rights as a human.

1. Police deals with people who lies all day long. You can't get away with it. It just raises suspicion.

2. If it comes down to your word against an officer's.. you will ALWAYS loose. They don't just pick on someone out of shear boredom. They either saw you doing what you said you did, or think that you fit that perp's description.

3. What kind of ticket is it? Is it for speeding (10-15 over) or for your nitrous?

Last edited:
You told them lie after lie. What was the purpose in that? You're lucky they didn't make up some excuse to keep you in jail overnight.

Anyway, no sympathy from me even if they did overstep their authority. Liars suck.

I don't think you get it. It's not about him lying. It's about police officers being intrusive when they have no right to be. He should have just said NOTHING. God, don't you care about your rights? You can't just be stopped, detained, have your car keys and your phone taken from you when you say you want to speak to an attorney.... wtf is the matter with you? Move to China.

I don't think you get it. It's not about him lying. It's about police officers being intrusive when they have no right to be. He should have just said NOTHING. God, don't you care about your rights? You can't just be stopped, detained, have your car keys and your phone taken from you when you say you want to speak to an attorney.... wtf is the matter with you? Move to China.

Does that mean you have a right to lie?:rolleyes:

I don't think you get it. It's not about him lying.

The police were douches, no question, but still there was no reason for him to concoct all sorts of lies about his behavior. That just destroys whatever credibility he may have had. I wonder if the situation could have resolved differently if the OP had been straight up and matter-of-fact about it rather than dishonest and adversarial.

I look and dress young so they always wonder and like to bother me. I can change so they wont. But why should I ?

Sometimes you can invite negative attention for how you look / behave, legal or not... so you just have to figure out if it's worth the time / hassle for you to continue down your rebellious little road.

On the flip side... I thought it was hilarious once when I was pulled over... the first thing the officer asked me was "is this your car?".

Cops used to be people to be looked up to. Today, I know most that are more crooked than most citizens. I think it's partially due to education and pay.
Don't want a bunch of jerk offs patrolling your town? Give them a descent wage and schedule, demand more than a freaking high school education, and screen the shit out of them like the FBI or CIA does. Make sure they aren't some douche hell bent on making up for the times he was picked on in high school. If the CIA / FBI / Secret Service can create descent, professional law enforcement.... why can't the police?

The police were douches, no question, but still there was no reason for him to concoct all sorts of lies about his behavior. That just destroys whatever credibility he may have had. I wonder if the situation could have resolved differently if the OP had been straight up and matter-of-fact about it rather than dishonest and adversarial.

I agree... you lie and get caught... it kind of kills everything. That's why I said he should have just said nothing. "If I'm being detained, I want to talk to my attorney". Then if they take your phone away..... well I guess you just sit there in silence or keep asking for your attorney.

It's funny how everyone is giving him a hard time for lying.

He is asking for legal advice, not moral advice. I'm sure he can confess all his horrible sins later to his priest during confession.

It's not as if cops don't lie to get information from you also. You lie to get out of a ticket. Big deal.

Last edited:
Uhhhh... yeah... you kind of do. This isn't a communist state.
Uh, no, you don't have a right to lie to a police officer. Not kind of, not at all. Lying to a police officer is called obstruction, and it's a crime punishable by jail time. It doesn't matter whether you've been read your rights, whether you're being detained, whether you're being arrested, whether you're even a suspect, etc., you don't have any right to lie to a police officer.

Your only right is the one to remain silent, in order not to incriminate yourself. That's the fifth amendment, and it's perfectly adequate.

He is asking for legal advice, not moral advice.
It is legal advice. See above. His lack of morals is his own problem.

Last edited:

He is asking for legal advice, not moral advice. I'm sure he can confess all his horrible sins later to his priest during confession.

It's not as if cops don't lie to get information from you also. You lie to get out of a ticket. Big deal.

I got no legal advice to give, I'm not a lawyer. But it'll take more than a few pitiful dollars in fines to make a liar of me. Does no one have any honor any more?

Back