• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can you resurface a flywheel?

Yes you can...normally machine shops charge about $40 bucks to resurface your flywheel.

The 97+ NSX,with the exception of the Type-S,S-Zero, and Type R models, come with a single disc clutch system that utilizes a dual mass flywheel. When the clutch wears, the flywheel wears too. Since there are moving components in dual mass flywheel, chances of damage are much higher than solid flywheel. The dual mass flywheel needs to be replaced when doing a clutch job.

Originally posted by Option2:
Andrie,

Why is it that the 97+ flywheels cannot be resurfaced?

------------------
acrmotorsports_1681_33419

www.acrmotorsports.com

Most of the car manufacturers do not recommend resurfacing dual mass flywheels. Some dual mass flywheels can be resurfaced due to the design, but most, including the 97+ dual mass flywheel cannot/should not be resurfaced due to the design. I would highly advise against trying it also. You really do not want a flywheel to explode into pieces while driving the car. Imagine what would happen to the car at 7000-8000rpms.

Originally posted by madfast:
acr,
can't u do a two-stepping resurface?

------------------
acrmotorsports_1681_33419

www.acrmotorsports.com

[This message has been edited by ACR_Motorsports (edited 11 June 2002).]

Thanks for the info. I am getting mixed thoughts on this. Everyone agrees that you can't resurface the flywheel. I have been told that a lot of dealers re-use the old flywheel if it isn't full of cracks though. The flywheel is $1800. Do most people not use the stock clutch setup on a 97+ NSX? Parts average $2500. Labor goes on top of that. WOAH!.
-Jeremy

Originally posted by madfast:
acr,
can't u do a two-stepping resurface?

Back