• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can you use aftermarket speakers with the factory head unit?

If so which ones? don't have to be all of them maybe just run door speakers only.

Sorry if this has been covered.

Yes. You need to mod your OEM enclosures, have a template made, or purchase some from SOS or Angus (I think Angus sells them, but I may be wrong). You also need a wiring harness, which I purchased from SOS.

You can use any speakers you like, but I'd suggest 5-6.5 inches in size.

You will also need an amp to power the speakers.

I have the OEM headunit and use JL Audio XR speakers. I have 6.5 inch speakers in the doors and the tweeters mounted by the mirrors. Do a search, there's tons of information out there. In fact in my thread a few years back, Malibu Rapper basically walked me through how to install my own system. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I don't have the enclosures, just the OEM wires.

Last edited:
As already stated you'll need:
1) Wiring Harness
factoryhead-after.jpg

2) Door Speaker mounting kit
speaker_panel_kit.jpg

3) An aftermarket amplifier - at least 2 channels. A bridgeable 4 channel is good if you plan to add an aftermarket subwoofer later.
4) Amplifier wiring kit with power wire, ground wire, speaker wire, RCAs, etc.
5) A pair of aftermarket speakers - 6.5" size is typical. Can be coaxial or separates.

Thanls for the suggestions, I try and decide what to do

Yes. You need to mod your OEM enclosures, have a template made, or purchase some from SOS or Angus (I think Angus sells them, but I may be wrong). You also need a wiring harness, which I purchased from SOS.

You can use any speakers you like, but I'd suggest 5-6.5 inches in size.

You will also need an amp to power the speakers.

I have the OEM headunit and use JL Audio XR speakers. I have 6.5 inch speakers in the doors and the tweeters mounted by the mirrors. Do a search, there's tons of information out there. In fact in my thread a few years back, Malibu Rapper basically walked me through how to install my own system. :biggrin:

Pics of your mounted tweeters?

Back