• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can you use an NSX-R front bumper undertray without the hood or the rear undertray?

I have tried searching and read several threads but havent found a clear answer. Can one or both undertrays be used without the hood?

Just my guess:

You can probably use the front bumper undertray but not the battery undertray. Once the air flows through the radiator it needs somewhere to go and the battery undertray pretty much blocks off about 80% or more of the places it usually would go. Without somewhere for the hot air to go, less cool air would make it through the radiator.

My $.01 (it's not even worth $.02)

J

Thanks J,

I am thinking along the lines you are in by just using the front tray I should be ok. But I was hoping if anyone knew for sure if using just the front tray would be ok and not cause any issues.

I think the front under tray would be of limited benefit unless you use the battery tray too. It doesn't create down force like a wing, but helps accellerate the air thus creating a low pressure area and thus downforce without the induce drag of a wing. If you don't use both, the air isn't really accelerating from front to rear.

In the case of a wing, the air over the wing has a greater distance to travel and has to catch up thus accelerating and creating a Low pressure sucking the wing up.

bernoullis_law_airfoil_wing_section_laminar_fluid_flow.gif

Or in the case of our car...

bernoullis_law_fluid_flow_pipe_diagram.gif

Thus I think the NSX-R add ons really only work if you use all of them in conjuction.... vented hood, bumper undertray, battery undertray, gas tank undertray, rear diffuser. The idea is accelerate the air front to rear and create a low pressure under the car sucking it down. To do it half way, will greatly limit any advantages especially if you factor in the cost.

I am not a big fan of the vented hood, but if and when this becomes a dedicated track car I will go that route and make a full undertray from the front to the diffuser.

Great info captain, so to summarize I should use all the undertrays for the full effect. That being said with all the trays, it seems to me like the hood would be required as well.

The reason for my question is I started to purchase the NSX-r stuff and have the front tray, and diffuser. I have since decided against the hood and rear spoiler. If the bottom trays will work without the hood I will probably put them on, but at this point I dont think I will ever swap out my hood.

I think the front under tray would be of limited benefit unless you use the battery tray too. It doesn't create down force like a wing, but helps accellerate the air thus creating a low pressure area and thus downforce without the induce drag of a wing. If you don't use both, the air isn't really accelerating from front to rear.

In the case of a wing, the air over the wing has a greater distance to travel and has to catch up thus accelerating and creating a Low pressure sucking the wing up.

bernoullis_law_airfoil_wing_section_laminar_fluid_flow.gif

Or in the case of our car...

bernoullis_law_fluid_flow_pipe_diagram.gif

Thus I think the NSX-R add ons really only work if you use all of them in conjuction.... bumper undertray, battery undertray, gas tank undertray, rear diffuser. The idea is accelerate the air front to rear and creat a low pressure under the car sucking it down. To do it half way, will greatly limit any advantages especially if you factor in the cost.

I have been running a home-made battery undertray now for almost two years now with ZERO problems. Am not sure though if it has any benefits though, that's very hard to tell with just (fast) street driving.
Posted about it two years ago and several people responded with home made undercovers which covered up the whole front of their car without problems.

Last year I added the VIS NSX-R hood to my car and like it very much. This one DOES work at least a little, even without the bumper undercover and/or the air duct. Whenever I have cleaned my car and the car is still wet, water droplets from the duct gets blown onto my windshield.

I shoud have both the Dowforce bumper undercover and the new Dali Racing carbon air duct coming in next week.

Back