• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Canepa Museum Tour

The Sacramento chapter is heading over to the Canepa museum on Saturday June 23, 2012 for a tour and we have invited all who wish to see some beautifully restored racing/exotic cars then plan on joining us at the museum. The museum is located in the Scotts Valley area which is near Santa Cruz. After the tour we will head over to Scotts Valley and hit one of the better restaurants for a nice lunch and socializing. If you want to join us and are from the bay area, then try to meet us there at around 10:00 am. If in the Sacramento area, and want to caravan, then please join us early that morning. Call or email me at (916) 364-7385 or email at [email protected]. We hope to see you there.

Al

Hey Al,
Car is ready, had to do some repairs over the weekend, O2 sensor went out and replaced the ignition switch. Plus did some maintenance on the stereo system. Looking forward to the drive. Any updates.

Hi, Al,

We may join you, if it's a nice day outside!

-Alan on the Peninsula

Anyone interested in meeting in Fremont (Pacific Commons In & Out parking lot) at 9:30am to meet the Sac caravan at The Canepa Museum by 10:00am.

Some details for the Sac folks:

Let's all meet at 6:30 am on Saturday morning at the fruit stand located off the Mace Blvd. exit on I-80 near Davis. We will be leaving at 7:00 am. sharp from there so please be on time. I will have some maps of the route which is going to be the usual I-680 towards San Jose and then transfer over eventually to Highway 17 towards Santa Cruz and so on. It's roughly a 2.5 hour trip if there are no hitches. Again our plan is to get there by 10: 00 am. Joseph Gavazza wants to join us and has suggested we meet at.... Dainty Donuts ( 2415 San Ramon Valley Rd. #14 north end of the shopping center along crow canyon rd.) which is off I-680 it is easy to get to should be plenty of parking. Plus the donuts are really good. Also there are some gas stations right there. We could meet about 8:30 am. We're going to try and meet him there and then head out. Make sure you have a full tank of gas when you start.

Some details for the Sac folks:

Let's all meet at 6:30 am on Saturday morning at the fruit stand located off the Mace Blvd. exit on I-80 near Davis. We will be leaving at 7:00 am. sharp from there so please be on time. I will have some maps of the route which is going to be the usual I-680 towards San Jose and then transfer over eventually to Highway 17 towards Santa Cruz and so on. It's roughly a 2.5 hour trip if there are no hitches. Again our plan is to get there by 10: 00 am. Joseph Gavazza wants to join us and has suggested we meet at.... Dainty Donuts ( 2415 San Ramon Valley Rd. #14 north end of the shopping center along crow canyon rd.) which is off I-680 it is easy to get to should be plenty of parking. Plus the donuts are really good. Also there are some gas stations right there. We could meet about 8:30 am. We're going to try and meet him there and then head out. Make sure you have a full tank of gas when you start.

PMd you

Glad you could make it Alan. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Ed

Al,

Great job putting this together. I've been following Bruce Canepa since the early 80s. Bruce has always had a top notch presence in IMSA (now the ALMS), this was really reflected at the Canepa Motorsports facility.

Having the guided tour made all the difference.

Good to see all that made it!

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks to all who showed up. Eye popping cars and most were in pure awe at the level of restoration and detail work done at this facility. The tour guide was great in his pace and the knowledge level of all the cars that we saw. He made the tour even more memorable. Now lets see the Bay Area group come up with something in the near future. :smile:

Al

Man, how lucky you guys are. Bruce is a well known 959 expert, I would love to see them up close. He always has a sick selection of ultra rare exotica:wink: I bookmarked his website.

Man, how lucky you guys are. Bruce is a well known 959 expert, I would love to see them up close. He always has a sick selection of ultra rare exotica:wink: I bookmarked his website.

Yes, Canepa Motorsports did the DOT conversions on the 959 to legalize them in the US. During our tour, we were introduced to one of Canepa's restoration techs, who was working on a Porsche 962... flawless! He was recruited from Joest Racing, after winning seven 24 Hours of LeMans!

Canepa Motorsports is a complete restoration shop. Their machine shop and body/paint facilities are very impressive. The paint booth can
accommodate a full size semi truck.

They had a Mercedes going thru full restoration. The original front end of the car could not be saved. We saw a new metal finished, hand formed sheetmetal front end. Sean mentioned they had 5,000 hours X $110/hour into the front end... that's $550,000!

I really liked Bruce's personal car, a McLaren MP4-C12.

Back