• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Canon lens choice - 24-70mm f/2.8 or 17-55 f/2.8

I am upgrading my Canon xsi to a 60D. I currently have a 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (kit lens), and 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I will probably sell the kit lens with the xsi, so I'm looking for a mid range zoom.

I am debating between the "L" 24-70mm f/2.8 which does not have image stabilization and the 17-55 f/2.8 which does have IS. The 17-55mm seems to make the most sense as it allows me to cover all my focal range and has IS. However, the "L" lens of the 24-70mm makes me wonder if I'm going to leave image quality on the table in exchange for the IS. The price is about the same, so that's not much of an issue.

I will use this lens 50% hand held, and 50% tri-pod mounted. I may use it for some video work, but probably will have the 10-22 for this most often.

Your thoughts?

24-70 f/2.8:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-24-70mm...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299195772&sr=1-1

17-55 f/2.8 IS:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-17...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299196152&sr=1-1

You already have an 18-55 albeit not a 2.8. A lens as small as 24-70 doesn't "need" IS as much as a longer, heavier lens. Even if you sell the kit lens you still have a 10-22.

Go with the L lens. Better glass, better potential for nicer results.

Last edited:
Your 60D is a cropped camera so you will benefit more with 17-55mm (its wider). I got interested with this lens when you mentioned it since I love the 16-35 2.8L II. Then I found out that the 17-55mm is an EF-S lens and therefore will not fit a full-frame camera like a 5D or 1D. So, if you are going to upgrade to a 5D, you won't be able to include this lens to your gear.. Just something to think about.

From the reviews, people are saying that the 17-55 is a nice, all-around, sharp lens, someone even mentioned it like the "hidden" L series lens. People like it a lot and I find it interesting.

What are you going to be shooting mostly with the 17-55mm? You might not even need an IS since like what RSO 34 mentioned. It is a small/wide lens so you don't need an IS lens for most situation. An IS helps a lot with 70-200mm or other long zoom lens.

IS does help believe me. I have a 70-200 2.8L II with IS and during a wedding ceremony and I have to shoot at the back, I can zoom all the way in crank down the shutter speed and still get a sharp picture, I can't even believe it sometimes. BUT my subject is barely moving and therefore I don't get a motion blur.

So if you are going to be using your 17-55 on parties where people are dancing/having fun, you can crank down the shutter speed because you have IS BUT you can only crank it so low at maybe 1/120 so that you don't get motion blur. At this point speed, you really don't need IS. If your subject is not moving, then you can probably go as low as 1/50 and get a pretty sharp picture.

I hope this makes sense.

My suggestion is to get the 24-70mm 2.8 L lens. You get the L quality lens, sharpness, and a lens that will be with you for a long time. It is compatible and a great match with the full-frame 5D II..

Nim

On a crop, my vote is for the 17-55mm. It is a fantastic lens and a beautiful performer.

24-70:
+ L lens
+ Weather sealed
- Heavy beast
- Practically useless indoors in close ranges on a crop camera ( Kids running toward you, you lose them very soon)
- Reputation as a hard-to-get-a-good-copy lens

17-55:
+ Lighter
+ Optically superb with very fast AF and very good IS
- Reputation for sucking dust in a bit (needs a filter)
- Somewhat cooler colors
- Older lenses had issues with IS motors failing (~75$ fix I think)

All said and done, the biggest issue for me when I had the 20D and then the 7D with the 24-05 F4L and 17-55 together was the 24 vs 17mm on the small end. Simply frustrating when kids are moving toward you and you cannot backup quickly enough, when people gather in a small room and you cant back out far enough etc. I had the 24-105 and 17-55 for an year and never touched the 24-105L (with nicer colors and all that). You will likely have the same issues with the 24-70mm.

I have the 24-70 f2.8 for Nikon. VERY sharp lens, professional grade, would be my choice without a doubt.

Back