• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can't believe I just realized this...

When was at Lowe's today loading bags of paver sand in my trunk :eek: , I realized why the trunk is shaped funny. I'd never really thought about it before, but all of a sudden I figured out that the extra space on the left side of the trunk must be to accomodate a flat tire in case you have to use the spare and need some place for the flat to go. This is probably someplace under the many FAQ sections, one of the sections I have not read I bet :biggrin:

53heloFE said:
I figured out that the extra space on the left side of the trunk must be to accomodate a flat tire in case you have to use the spare and need some place for the flat to go.

Yeah... And it works, too, as I just discovered. I had a rear tire shred on me last week. (The tire had maybe 8000 miles on it and was in great shape. I think I must've caught something sharp that rapidly deflated it.) I was on a 2-laner in the middle of the desert at 2AM, the tire disintegrated, and I had the pleasure of switching to the space-saver with only a glint of moonlight. (I didn't spot another vehicle [not one] in over 4 1/2 hours ---driving and replacement time--- and didn't bring my cell phone.) The shredded tire fit in the trunk but, I swear, I had to kinda pound it down with my fist, the fit was that tight.

Stores didn't open for several more hours and then it was all about finding someone who had a pair of acceptable tires in stock. All in all, about a 12 hour ordeal...

One of the previous owners installed the CD changer in that space...:frown:

now, a lot of us went 18 or even 19 inch wheels, even though the height shouldn't change with skinnier side wall, most went for a lot wider wheels and tires. anyone tried putting their 10.5 inch rear and see if they will fit? I only tried fitting the 16*8 with 225 and I remember there's not much space left between the hatch and the tire.......

Hugh said:
I can't believe you've never read your owner's manual. :)

Hugh, you assume I have my owner's manual :biggrin:

I do have the telephone book, I mean service manual :biggrin:

53heloFE said:
the extra space on the left side of the trunk must be to accomodate a flat tire in case you have to use the spare and need some place for the flat to go.
For a flat? I thought it was designed to accommodate one of your four track tires, so you can fit all this stuff inside your NSX:

wNTcwNjYwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wMTMwODUzNDZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wMTMwODUzNTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wtf is the front seat for????

Tire is my co-pilot...
dsc08712vf7.jpg

damm low profiles...:mad: rant to come....

btw... nobody's noticed the popup lights/door handle kosmic
kosmetic konnection?? that's some stylin'!!

too bad the previous owner of my x placed an amplifier there, so I removed the spare tire since its no use. :frown:

blackna1 said:
too bad the previous owner of my x placed an amplifier there, so I removed the spare tire since its no use. :frown:

Either re-locate the amp or keep one of those extra-large lawn/leaf garbage bags stowed in the trunk. That way you can wrap it around the dirty flat and place it on the passenger seat if you need to use the spare. You can also get a simple bungie cord and place the flat in the trunk and use the bungie to keep the trunk down.

Back